Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Sander/Grinder Question

Pages: 1 3 replies

Aloha,

I carved a tiki last summer using chisels and a Milwaukee 4 1/2" sander/grinder.

I went out and bought my own 4 1/2" Milwaukee, but I am not certain as to which attachments I should use on wood. I have looked all over for a wheel that is made for my specific purpose, but have only found ones for metal, masonry and surface sanding.

What should I use for the cutting out and grinding down of wood. Which one can I use both the edge of the wheel and the flat surface of the wheel?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-CMC

S

Check out the creating tiki pages for all your carving needs and questions. I personally like using the lancelot. Fits the 4 1/2 inch grinder well.

I use a Lancelot as well as Flap Disc sanding wheels. Both are available at Harbor Freight at a good price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44973

You can never have enough logs, just stack em higher.

[ Edited by: PalmHarborTiki on 2005-04-17 17:24 ]

I use the Lancelot, and lots of other people are using the Arbortech. Both will fit a 4-1/2" angle grinder. A 24 grit disc will also take off a surprising amount of wood very quickly. Do a search for the topic "Tools Carvers Use" in the Creating Tiki Forum. You'll find lots more info there.

Pages: 1 3 replies