Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Book - Trader Vic's Tiki Party

Pages: 1 11 replies

Here's a heads up for a new book.

"Trader Vic's Tiki Party"

This book has plenty of food recipes, even more drink recipes and tips on how to set the mood for your next Tiki Party Shindig Luau Bash. It's available now through Amazon. In fact if you order it through this link some of the proceeds will go toward supporting our beloved Tiki Central. Really!

I've already ordered mine. Now if they would just replace that parrot on the cover with a Tiki...

revised to indicate that book is now available.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi on 2005-04-27 11:41 ]

E
Erika posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 7:21 AM

On 2005-04-18 11:17, Hakalugi wrote:
Now if they would just replace that parrot on the cover with a Tiki...

On the publisher's site (Ten Speed Press), they show a different cover image. Ugly, but at least no parrot:
http://www.tenspeed.com/catalog/all/item.php3?id=1973

I expect the final cover will really be the parrot, though. I blame J. B. :roll:

OK! I just ordered it! Thanks for the heads up! :D I cant wait to get it. It looks great!
Mahalo,

The Tiki Party book is apparently now in stock as I just received an email from Amazon stating that a copy was shipping out to me today.

This is much earlier than the originally stated date of June 30th and is quite fine by me.

The link above goes to a page on Amazon.com that lists Tiki Road Trip being authored by Sven A. Kirsten....
No wonder tiki archeologists have such a tough time figuring out who actually invented which drink.

BTW: Isn't the Potted Parrot -- with a little parrot garnish -- a drink created by Don the Beachcomber?

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-04-27 11:58 ]

On 2005-04-27 11:56, Kailuageoff wrote:
The link above goes to a page on Amazon.com that lists Tiki Road Trip being authored by Sven A. Kirsten....
No wonder tiki archeologists have such a tough time figuring out who actually invented which drink.

Yer right. The link above takes you to an Amazon page where you can purchase the book Trader Vic's Tiki Party AND lower down on the page there is a reference to Tiki Road Trip where it says the author is Sven. In fact this has been an ongoing flaw with Amazon and Tiki Road Trip for quite some time. On the page for Tiki Road Trip you'll see that it lists the author of the forward first; Sven Kirsten and then it lists the author of the book itself; James Teitlelbaum. When this gets abbreviated on other references it only goes as far to show Sven Kirsten.

I would imagine there are hundreds if not thousands of similar goofs sprinkled all over Amazon.

RB

My copy delivered today! (And yes I did order through the link to help support TC). Looks great...history & photos, plus food & drink recipes. I'll be checking it out tonight while sipping on a Mai Tai. :drink:

On 2005-04-27 11:56, Kailuageoff wrote:
BTW: Isn't the Potted Parrot -- with a little parrot garnish -- a drink created by Don the Beachcomber?

I just got "Trader Vic's Book of Mexican Cooking" yesterday, and it contains this:

"Senor Pico Potted Parrot: This drink got its name from the bleary-eyed parrot that we perch on the edge of your glass st Senor Pico's and he's yours to take home..."

So, this either answers your question, or makes me look like an ass because you were making a joke related to the old Mai Tai war.

-T.J.

M

Got this book as a gift yesterday, and am pretty impressed with it. It's most definitely Trader Vic's Tiki Party, as the rums & syrups reccomended are Vic's, and the resource page lists only Vic's, Vic's food products, Tiki Farm (makers of Vic's mugs) and Reyn Spooner (maker of Vic's shirts). The history is very informative, if slightly skewed. But the real gems are some lost drink recipes. I don't know if any of these are in the '74 Vic's bartending guide, but you get the Aku Aku, Boomerang, Mr. Nephew's Daiquiri, Drunken Apricot, Honolulu, PB2Y2(!), Shingle Stain, and many more. I now have something to put my vintage Shingle Stain drink covers on- at last.

Check it out.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-06-16 17:48 ]

I got this as a gift also, and we forgot to ask the TC people who came to my birthday party if they'd ever head of it. It's pretty cool, it's nice to have some basic pupu recipes. I can't wait to make the ahi tuna poki! mmmmm poki!

I think if I were un-initiated to tiki, this isn't too bad a place to start. It's got nice photos, and there's some good advice (use fresh squeezed juice when at all possible, good fruit buying tips, rum advice, how to make garnishes, etc. for beginners)

Plus it's got all the Trader Vic's drink recipes. GUN CLUB PUNCH! Now I just need to swipe a few GCP mugs from Vic's :wink: It'll make a nice gift for all your friends and relatives who don't quite 'get' the tiki thing! Maybe I'll get it for my sister, and we can get a decent drink at their house!

It is very weird though, to get a book about tiki that Otto or Sven hasn't written the intro to... or been thanked in the forward. But we'll let it slide!

On 2005-06-16 17:48, martiki wrote: I now have something to put my vintage Shingle Stain drink covers on- at last.

Check it out.

oh great...

claassssssy :wink:

I borrowed it yesterday from Holden, looks like it has some cool recipes in there...

Amy

Pages: 1 11 replies