Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Kon-Id (Spanish) mugs and three previously unseen items -CLOSED!

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

NOTE: THIS SALES EVENT HAPPENED IN 2005, THERE CURRENTLY ARE NONE AVAILABLE VIA TC:

My dear fellow mug hunters and collectors-

I am happy to finally announce open ordering for my line of KONTEMPORARY IDOL mugs. I am doing this low-tech: You can view the mugs below, and then e-mail your order to ......

I will collect all orders, and my kiln will take about 4 weeks to manufacture them, plus a week of shipping to me. I will notify you once they arrived, you pay me (PayPal preferred), and I send them to you.

From Left top to bottom right:

TARINGA $40.-/ FUNNY FACE $40.-/ BAMBOO FACE $50.-/BUCKY $40.-/TAMI MASK $40.-

FEATHER FACE $69.-/ KU REEF BOWL $69.-/ MAORI MUG $69.-/ RONGO $50.-/
HYPNO FACE $40.-

AND, for the first time, introducing the LAMOUR Bowl (named after how we would have LIKED to have seen Dorothy). This bowl’s concept demonstrates how man’s obsession with Sex will lead to alcoholism: When the bowl is full the Wahine’s breasts are hidden, revealing themselves only as the tropical nectar is sipped away! Yummy!

I shied away from introducing this solid, whopping 12 inch diameter bowl because of it’s cost, but some of you said they will be able to pay the 89.- bucks (!) I will have to ask for it. So, sorry for the price, but here it is.

Also new: The JANUS Bowl. Yet another version of the uniquely Spanish Tiki mug concept of dry Ice drink presentations. Here the two Maori style faces are the containers for the dry ice, keeping the potion in between cool and imbuing the cocktail with an otherworldly fog.

This bowl is not a big as the others, only 6 inches in diameter, and can be had for 50.- Dollars.

And last, another favorite of mine, the PICASSO mug. Based on the African mask below, it clearly shows the kinship between primitive art and the moderns. The graphic style of this tall 7 inch, 3 inch diameter mug makes him unique among his peers. A good piece for 40.- Dollars:

I regret to announce that this order will likely be the last for the year of 2005, I will be too busy the second half of the year shooting TV in Germany, but I plan to fully establish the “Sven A Kirsten Gallery for the Kontemporary Idol”, Kon-Id, the beginning of next year, and all these will then be available on a proper web site.

All the mugs will of course be properly stamped with the Kon-Id Gallery logo:

I would like to turn my order in by next Tuesday, so please try to make your decisions by the end of this weekend, Monday the latest.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-04-30 12:49 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 21, 2005 2:09 PM

Is this going to be an ongoing thing? I can't afford to get everything I want all at once.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 21, 2005 2:10 PM

Do I get a discount for posting the pic?? :wink:

RR

When do we have to get our order in by?

D

holycow! i'm gonna blow all my allowance on these!

would you offer a special deal, if we by an entire set?

R

WOW!!! These are awesome. Very unique. Anyway, as much as I like them all, I will be content with the Ku Reef Bowl & Maori Mug that I ordered. Figured I better save some money for the Oasis.

Kono, Thanks for posting the pic.

[ Edited by: Riptide on 2005-04-21 14:58 ]

T

Dang BigBro, Where have you been hiding these? Just by the picture I might not know the name of the mug but I think that I can grab one. Ok, the names above go with the picture below, I see that now.

If these mugs are not yet done what are the chances for a speacil mug for me.?? That would be a must to buy one.

SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-04-21 15:13 ]

That is some great stuff, I love the Hula Bowl!!!
Mahalo,
Al

ACK! The top picture (and the one Kono posted) aren't loading for me. Help.

Besides that... I love the retro look of those!!!

I hope AL can fix that...

Somebody brought up this understandable question:

"When do we have to have the money by? I'm trying to budget for Tiki Oasis & this."

To which I replied:

I expect the shipment to arrive end of May/beginning of June, and you will not have to pay until I have the stuff. Everyone will be notified that their mugs have arrived, then you'll send me the money, and I will send you the mugs.
But please do not order now, and then spend all your mug money at the Oasis, leaving me stranded with your order :)

The picture's working now. THANKS AL!!

The problem is... I was spending less money BEFORE the picture was working.

R

Man, BigBro you keep on costing me money. "Just when I think that I am out, you pull me back in!"

I though I was happy with my original order, but then you post the new bowls. They are all awesome. I had to update my order. Any more new mugs being posted tomorrow? I gotta plan my budget.

Lamour bowl. :o I'm in love! I don't normally buy new mugs, but I just might have to make an exception for that one.

V

Can you take some to Europe for us ???

I'd love to get a few of those (or maybe all of them...)
Thanks for letting us having those beauties.

Virani, if it's not too many too heavy ones...I can carry some dead weight, because I usually return with more stuff than I bring. I will be in Berlin from end of June thru all of July.
Let me know which ones, and I see what I can do. I also have your CD from Chris, just haven't sent it yet...

Tomorrow, Monday, is the last day for ordering, kids, I will be wrapping up a healthy package.

Thank you for all the orders, everybody, I am glad to make these available to you appreciative headhunters. I must say that I am happily surprised that the Lamour Bowl is, despite it's hefty pricetag, right on the heels of the most popular item, the Maori Head! Overall it is a very balanced field, with only Bucky and Featherface seeming unwanted.

You will here from me next when the items are shipping, then when they arrived. Mahalo!

Awesome Sven!

Order is closed, Mahalo everyone!

Thanks BigBro! I put my email in last week for a Lamour bowl! I can't wait to see it!

Thanks!

I hope your mugs don't bring down the value of the ones in Spain. I am going there this summer and hope to score a bunch of mugs.

i am surprised to hear that the FeatherFace mugs are not selling well. I have one at home and the colors and the details in the painting are awesome in person.

D

How on earth did I miss this thread? I'm always a day late! :evil:

D

Any word on when our orders are going to be coming in? I got an email early this summer saying that the orders were going to be going out late, around August (I thought), but I haven't got any word yet. Anyone got their orders? Just checking.

Well, I apologize deeply, my good intentions did not suffice, the order was held in customs and I had so little time in LA this summer that I was basically glad to receive the goods just in time before I had to go to Europe for work.

They are now sitting in my girlfriends garage, and I am hoping to get them distributed via internet trade in the course of these next months so everybody will have them before Christmas .

It depends on my gal's schedule, once I know about it I will notify all who have been waiting patiently.

Mahalo, Sven

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2005-10-05 12:47 ]

D

Sounds good to me! A nice Christmas gift for myself!!! Thanks BigBro for responding!!! I'm still salivating!!!

FA

I cannot believe how sad I feel to have missed out on some of these mugs!! :(

They will be avaialble thru my gallery next year.

Hey Sven,

Wussup!? Get yer ass back here!!

The cat aka Tiki Lee, I'm doing the room for up north, went to that bar and came home with a couple of those mugs. That "Bug Eye" one is over the top!!! I dig how it's so odd. It's like my whole theroy on "perfecting the non perfect tiki." Kinda like the
Endless Summer were they trecked for waves nobody knew of.

To perfect the non perfect tiki. Hmmmmmm.

Underburg!

FA

On 2005-10-05 22:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
They will be avaialble thru my gallery next year.

Awesome, I will start saving now!

Check out my REAL Spanish mugs on Ooga Mooga. Once I saw the repops, I knew I had to get my beehind over to Spain to get the real deal. The mugs weren't cheap there (especially if you include the cost of my trip), so these are a great buy for someone who can't make it over to Spain. I just wish I had more Euro's so I could buy every mug...

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=109

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 5:20 PM

Cool mugs bro!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2005 4:12 PM

Any news on these bad boys?

GOOD question! Yes...ahem...embarassed shuffeling...:

I committed myself to get these to you for the holidaze, and was gonna get into it last week, then, no kidding, first my computer broke down, then my car broke down, then I broke down (not literally, but Wednesday night, after sampling superb concoctions at the ersatz Tiki Ti location of Beachbum Berry's pad, the fully fledged flu I had been vershlepping finally came to bloom).

But now my car is fixed, I am getting better, only my aol e-mail sending doesn't work still...BUT I can access my Konmug account via my girlfriend's laptop, and will, beginning tomorrow, e-mail all of the buyers the exact order and shipping amounts, so be ready to paypal me (to [email protected], not Konmug...) and I will jump into the X-mas mailing mess with gusto so you can hug these babies under the Christmas tree.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2005-12-10 18:05 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2005 6:10 PM

Sounds good Sven. Personally, I don't need them by Christmas but I DO NEED THEM!

I'm ready to make my second order but I forget that I haven't paid for the first order yet. How's the future look for Kon-id Enterprises? Will there be more mug and bowls for sale in the future?

It is a vicious circle: I am dependent on my European jobs to make my living, but tired of being bi-atlantical so I wanna push this enterprise on NOW. Yet I can't open a gallery and then be gone for a month or two. I am going on a shoot again in February!

So I will definitely fore-go the real location first, and open it as online gallery only...but next time, it will be complete with shopping cart and all. I still have to streamline the ordering and shipping via Europe, that was way too much hassle last time. My deadline to have this in place will be this coming summer, because I want to have the gallery html printed at the end of my new book, due out then, so it has to work by then.
Maybe then all this will enable me to stay home more often.

I have been waiting over a year for these mugs, I sure hope they are worth it.

Ah, Atomicchick,

Speaking as one who is very lucky to already own a bunch of these gorgeous Spanish mugs (having hunted them down at 2:00 AM by myself in several different bars on trips to Spain, paid major bucks for them, then carried them in my aching arms, clutched to my breast), I can tell you that these babies ARE worth it!! I am, in fact, still mulling over getting the super-cool Maori faced one via Bigbro's venture hear, as I never saw it there (or had even heard of it before!).

Yes, these ARE worth the wait!

F

On 2005-12-11 19:55, Formikahini wrote:
then carried them in my aching arms, clutched to my breast), I can tell you that these babies ARE worth it!!

If I may speak for the mugs, I'm sure they thought so too. :)

T

On 2005-12-12 12:16, Unga Bunga wrote:
If I may speak for the mugs, I'm sure they thought so too. :)

The sting is a short sequence played by a drummer to punctuate a joke, especially an obvious or slapstick one, when accompanying a cabaret- or circus- style show. Figures may take the form of a short roll followed by crash cymbal and kick drum; a flam; or a rimshot.

It is often spoken as "badum-CHING!" or similar, in response to hearing a particularly corny joke. It is often erroneously called a rimshot. :D

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2005-12-12 13:32 ]

On 2005-12-10 18:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is a vicious circle: I am dependent on my European jobs to make my living, but tired of being bi-atlantical so I wanna push this enterprise on NOW. Yet I can't open a gallery and then be gone for a month or two. I am going on a shoot again in February!

So I will definitely fore-go the real location first, and open it as online gallery only...but next time, it will be complete with shopping cart and all. I still have to streamline the ordering and shipping via Europe, that was way too much hassle last time. My deadline to have this in place will be this coming summer, because I want to have the gallery html printed at the end of my new book, due out then, so it has to work by then.
Maybe then all this will enable me to stay home more often.

Hey Bigbro-

Maybe talk to Jeff, Wade and/ or Kevin at the Cha Cha Longe and see if you can't get those mugs in there somewhere somehow. I think they are going to contact Holden and have a Cha Cha Logo mug made but also being it's kind of a wacked out Mexi Tiki- ish club, your Kon Id's might just work for them too.

Thanks Ben, that sure would be an easy business connection, just down the hill...

...but I believe though the Spanish mugs ARE restaurant ware (they are so solid and heavy you could drop'em and they would dent the floor), the added shipping cost from Europe makes them cost-prohibitive for American business owners, I think pricewise they are feasable only for the collector's market.

They could take the wear and tear of a bar, but you would have to have security scanners on your exits so people would not lift them from your joint.

D

Just wanted to say my mugs came in the mail today! I can honestly say, they are worth the wait! I'm definately ordering more as soon as they are offered. These are some very unique designs. I had them delivered to my office and they stirred up quite a sensation. I had co-workers coming to my office just to see the new tiki mugs they heard about from others in the office.

S

They arrived safe and sound yesterday, well worth the wait.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Cool. If I ever will shoot a KON-ID commercial, I will use that office situation!

Understandably, I had some cancellations, and so I am throwing some of these puppies up on e-bay. Let's see what happens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=7732733124

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&item=7732723793

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=7732720868

There are already some nibbles...c'mon, give it a try, kohalacharms and danlovestikis already got theirs, so how high can it go...? (wink wink)

One last word about Trevor's post:

On 2005-10-10 13:16, TikiTrevor wrote:
Check out my REAL Spanish mugs on Ooga Mooga. Once I saw the repops, I knew I had to get my behind over to Spain to get the real deal.

These fine ceramics ARE the REAL Spanish mugs, and not "repros"(?).
Made in SPAIN by the original and only manufacturer that still makes them, usually only for TIKI BARS. I decided to seek the kiln out after unsuccessfully trying to obtain certain mugs I liked from the bars in Barcelona and Madrid. And the bar owners did not volunteer the address at all, it took some digging.

And the KON-ID mugs have several added advantages:

The remaining bars usually do not sell the bigger and more impressive mugs (KU, MAORI) at all, and do not even carry some of these designs I offer now. Of the ones they sell, usually only one or two have the Bar's name printed on them, and the molds for those are usually quite worn out and globby.

I got to impress on the manufacturer that this would be unacceptable for collectors, and they improved some greatly, while with others (like the KU) I decided to forgo a second layer of (brown) glaze, in order to improve definition of the sculpt, with successful results.

The only way to maybe find better examples of these would be to come across vintage ones from the early years, in European flea markets, and I only own ONE like that, the chances are slim.

Good luck Sven ! A drink sometime?

On 2005-12-17 22:53, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Good luck Sven ! A drink sometime?

Indeed! PMed you about sampling some specific Barcelona booze.

Sven, here is a picture of the Lady Bowl (and other mugs) in action last summer during my trip to barcelona. I almost bought it (and kick myself for not) but they wanted 90 Eu's for it and I had already spent over 100 EU's on other mugs at a different bar so I coulnd't justify it at the time. Great job on the mugs and Good Luck on the auctions (and I hope they don't bring the value of my originals that I have on Ooga Mooga, hehe).

Boy, she must be cold, with all that ice around her...brrrrr!

(Kind of reminds me about the story that Sandy Warner told about the photo shoot for Martin Denny's "Primitiva" cover: Supposedly they shot that up at Mammoth Lake, and she was standing in freezing mountain creek water, trying to look all sultry.)

Pages: 1 2 58 replies