Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Help! I need some ideas for a lamp!!

Pages: 1 9 replies

I found this "thing" at the Goodwill Friday afternoon and I'm planning on making it into a lamp... anyone have any idea on what the hell it is and what I can do to alter it and make it a little more tiki? I'm stumped.

Help! I need some ideas for a lamp!! :)
John,
I would say stick a colored light bulb in there, then your done. I wouldn't add a thing.
It was your good eye that saw it to begin with. That's gonna make a great Tiki lamp.
Then again, maybe a lining of Hapa on the inside of it would be a cool effect.

Here's an amazing thread from Ona Tiki

J

Unga the lining was exactly what I was thinking - gonna give that a go - will post results when done! Anyone have any idea what this thing is?

AT

Maybe this ???

see you.

J

I decided to keep it simple... I used the old plastic head cone, one of our Boston Terriers had to wear after having reconstuctive surgery on his tail, as the inner shade and covered it with tapa print material using rubber cement. Next I wired the two shades together so they hang well together. So, total cost for this project was $1.00 - I had a bunch of scraps of tapa cloth, Ajax was happy to contribute that torture device and I even found the single bulb ceiling fixture in the garage with a bunch of electrical boxes my father-in-law had left here.

A side note - I had an existing 30 year old double bulb ceiling fixture hanging in the basement hallway that I replaced. Luckily I did because after a problem with a busted spigot pipe in the ceiling two summers ago, the fixture was completely rusted and looked like it was ready to burst into flames at any moment. The thing was actually rusting to the ceiling - if you look carefully you can see the rust ring around the drywall. But, this will be remedied in the near future when I take an existing roll of lauhala and do the ceiling treatment in the hallway to cover all that unsightly crap!

O

Nice job..looks great, simple is the best way to go.

B

Looks like you didn't need advice at all, but just abit of Nudging in the right direction. The lamp looks great, makes you proud and we Love the pictures and the steps to creating it.

T

Thats one FINE looking lamp

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 6:57 PM

That is one funky looking lamp. I like how the frame on the outside and the material on the inside give it a nice depth.

S
SES posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:09 AM

Hah, I don't think I've ever seen one of those protective cones recycled before. If you decide later that you want to change it into a lamp like Al's post. Tikitony makes lamps.

Pages: 1 9 replies