Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vics rum in Florida

Pages: 1 9 replies

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 23, 2005 5:20 PM

Apparently Trader Vics products are finally making inroads into Florida liquor stores. Walgreens Liquors are carrying Trader Vics rums: Kahana Bay silver, Kahana Bay Gold, Spiced Rum, Pineapple rum, Coconut rum and Rasberry rum. Why rasberry?

I know these aren't top shelf rums by any means, but hopefully we'll start seeing the liqueurs and mixers start to show up locally as well. The TV rums at Walgreens are as cheap as Ron Rico so hopefully they'll sell well and lead to Macadamia Nut Liqueur and Mai Tai mix being on the shelves also.

I hear you Kono. I picked up some gold and silver a week ago in Winter Park. They might not be the best tasting rums, but the labels look good behind the home bar. I just wish they would sell the TV mixers.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-04-27 11:38 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 27, 2005 8:29 PM

On 2005-04-27 11:38, Kailuageoff wrote:
I hear you Kono. I picked up some gold and silver a week ago in Winter Park. They might not be the best tasting rums, but the labels look good behind the home bar. I just wish they would sell the TV mixers.

They're not bad though. Between Cruzan (smooth) and Bacardi/Ron Rico (Dry/harsh), I'd put the Trader Vics rums at center-to-slightly dry.

Keep pressing your liquor store managers to stock as many different rums as possible. If Southern Distributing is now dealing with Trader Vics then we have to push our liquor stores to carry all the TV products.

B

I picked up a bottle of Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur just for sipping, but then started thinking about making a drink with it. Has anyone tried it and have any suggestions? Aloha, Benehune

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 7, 2005 7:14 PM

On 2005-05-07 11:22, Benehune wrote:
I picked up a bottle of Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur just for sipping, but then started thinking about making a drink with it. Has anyone tried it and have any suggestions? Aloha, Benehune

Intoxica has a Macadamia Nut Chi Chi recipe that is quite good. That liqueur is great for just sipping however. Mmmmm....

Hey Kono, I know this is not the right thread, but have you ever substituted Noyaux for Orgeat in a pinch?
I try to post in unexpected places because I am a tread killer. Aloha, Bebhune

B

Hey Kono, I finally got my copy of intoxica. The Macadamia Nut Chi Chi calls for Vodka, and I'm not a big Vodka drinker. I think I will try to substitute Rum and see how that tastes. Aloha, Benehune

K
Kono posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 7:53 PM

On 2005-05-14 22:43, Benehune wrote:
Hey Kono, I know this is not the right thread, but have you ever substituted Noyaux for Orgeat in a pinch?
I try to post in unexpected places because I am a tread killer. Aloha, Bebhune

I've never had Noyaux. I don't have a problem getting orgeat so I never need to substitute.

When I was a wee tiki neophyte I would use almond extract and sugar water but that was a long time ago. I've gotten orgeat from Trader Vic's online store, Fees Bros orgeat off of ebay (of all places) and there's a store around here called World Market (or something like that) that carries all the Torlani syrups. So...I've not been in a pinch for orgeat in a long time. Stay away from the Torlani sugar free almond syrup. It's pretty much tasteless IMO.

Keep looking for the orgeat. I'm sure there's some devilish cult in your area that also has need of it. :wink:

K
Kono posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 8:00 PM

On 2005-05-18 14:27, Benehune wrote:
Hey Kono, I finally got my copy of intoxica. The Macadamia Nut Chi Chi calls for Vodka, and I'm not a big Vodka drinker. I think I will try to substitute Rum and see how that tastes. Aloha, Benehune

You can't subsitute rum! Then it will be a different drink.

Just go buy a pint of a good vodka and it will last you for quite a long time if you're not a vodka drinker.

If you do sub rum I'd sub Cruzan as it's a fairly smooth, unobtrusive (taste-challenged??) rum.

B

Mahalo for the good advice. Sometimes I feel like a Haole on this site.
Okole Maluna, Benehune

Pages: 1 9 replies