Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Dining Room Conversion (Pics)

Pages: 1 14 replies

The wife and I had so much fun decorating our patio with a Tiki theme that we decided to do the whole house.

One room at a time.

Dining Room is first.

Started with white walls, 20 year old blue carpet, and the fish tank on a stand.

First we removed the carpet and had the Terrazzo floors ground and polished. During this step we also moved the fish tank and painted the walls. Here it is in it's original position:

Here is it moved in front of the sliding glass doors (we are installing French doors in living room so these are no longer needed).

Next it was time to "build in" the tank for a more custom look:

We also added new baseboards at this time.

Next it was time to do the ceiling. I purchased 12 8 x 4 Herringbone sea grass mats from Frank's supply. We used contact cement to attach them to 8 x 4 sheets of polytherm sheeting. This is about 1/4 inch thick and a lot cheaper than 1/4 plywood.

Used stained pine 1 x 2's for the borders.

Before:

During:

After:

Replaced the ceiling fan with a light from Expo. Still need to add a window treatment ad some art to the walls and paint the cross beam. But all the "major" task are completed.

Stay tuned. The Living Room is next...

[ Edited by: 420greg on 2005-04-25 07:31 ]

O

Nice job guys!! Love the secret passage for the cat. Can't wait to see more.
:drink:

Very Nice!!! Thank you for posting Pic's!!

How do you service you tank now?

On 2005-04-25 12:13, theartcoach wrote:
How do you service you tank now?

There are sliding glass doors behind the tank that can be seen in the 2nd picture.
I just go out to the Florida room and open the glass doors. It is actually easier to service now than when it was on the stand.

That just looks so awesome.

Can you see the back of the tank and fish food, and other fishy paraphanelia from the Florida room, or did you obscure it somehow?

Polytherm sheeting??? What is it.

Nicely done.

On 2005-05-13 14:53, Raffertiki wrote:
That just looks so awesome.

Can you see the back of the tank and fish food, and other fishy paraphanelia from the Florida room, or did you obscure it somehow?

I have 2 bamboo shades covering the sliding glass doors, so you can not see the tank from the Florida room. I just lift the shades and slide open the doors to service the tank. I have 2 auto-ma-tic fish feeders so I only need to go back there about once a week.

S
SES posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:05 AM

That looks so nice! I have about 6 fishtanks on one wall and I would love to be able to make it built in like that.

O

I see a Humma Trigger fish in one of you photos... ƒº) maybe you call it a Painted trigger or a Picasso trigger... either way very nice set up¡K

B

Looks really Awesome!. The Salt tank is Really nice too. Every Tropical fish enthusists dream to Wall in their 300 gal reef tank. Ho large is your setup? Very nice (I used to have a few 75's and 55's and 90' and 20's..)
Can't wait to see it ALL done..
Thanks for sharing ALL these pic's.

The whole set up is 420 gallons. 350 for the tank and there is a 70 gallon sump underneath. There are currently 4 96w Power Compacts for the lighting but I am thinking about moving to 2 x 400w metal halides.

We hung some masks above it last weekend. I will add some more pics once I clean the tank.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 3:07 AM

I really like what you've done with the tank into the wall. Very nice

[ Edited by: hewey on 2005-05-22 03:08 ]

K

Hey 420Greg -- any more pics since last May? Would love to see more of what you've done (which so far, is beautiful)!

Thanks.
Kanekila

The livingroom is being converted right now. I will take some more pictures
as it progresses.

Pages: 1 14 replies