Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki # 3.Solar Eye's Tiki (finished) and unplanned Tiki

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Well Here goes #3! Had to take a few days off to work. Got next 6 days off... I am going to finish 3 tiki's..... People were asking for more details do here you go..

1. Design. I draw a couple of sketches of what I want and do to views. This one will have solar powered eyes and changeable mouth signs. Started a Tiki sketch pad.....
  2. Cold draft beer from tiki keg o rator with my new tiki Tape handle from Tiki G...
  3. Put log on 2 old bar stools for drawing out
  4. I carve one side at a time. I take ny chainsaw do the rough cuts then chisel out one side. Why you ask? It helps me visual how it is going to look
  5. Start other side
  6. Drink beer, start detail work and sanding tommorow. Time actual on log 3 hours

Thanks to everyone for getting me started doing this.. Any advice always welcomed, and questions...

"Those above are going down, those below are going up" by unknown
"Do not be afraid, GO DEEP" by A-A
"Life is like this: sometimes sun, sometimes rain." by unknown

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-24 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-24 19:30 ]

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-27 18:27 ]

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-04-28 18:18 ]

Very unique design. I love the teeth!

S

Like the solar powered tiki idea. Can't wait to see the finished product!

T

tonight not going well... solar eyes kicking my butt. Got one to work, other acting a fool. Took 2 yard kits, upgraded batteries, new lights..... Oh tiki sanded, started staining

Still have to do sign for mouth... Need a drink

Neat idea. That could be a Borg-Tiki if you just left it like it is. Cool idea for the eyes though, I don't think I've seen a tiki with solar powered eyes yet. Where does the solar cell go?

On 2005-04-25 22:03, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Cool idea for the eyes though, I don't think I've seen a tiki with solar powered eyes yet. Where does the solar cell go?

Tiki Mon in Florida makes them... The solar cell is on top of the tiki...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-04-25 23:06 ]

T

I was sure I couldnt of been the first. I want to put thid in a corner. Solar cells are on top. Will take pics today!

Thanatos, the "Terminator Tiki" is lookin' good!

great job on the teeth!

B

Lookin' good Thantos. Cool idea even if it has been done before, it's a first for you. Keep carvin and you will get better and better.

T

Thanks Benz, and everyone else. Staining sign. Want know if new tiki Eye works till tommorow night. Will post pic then

T

Ok done with solar eye tiki or as he is name : Hoku Tiki.. Eye's were a hard. Just to get them to look right. Poured resin into eye socket to help difuse lights.

Without sign, chilling by the pool

Sign stained and screwed together

Pic 1 at dusk,,, Lights starting to get bright

Pic 2.....

1 hour later. I added extra nicad batteries. Should stay lit, 9 hours

While I was letting resin dry. I was digging thru my Log pile and found a screwed up log with lots of chainsaw cuts. Was going to toss it, then I was something. Started screwing around and this poped out 5 hours latter... My first un planned out carving...

Will stain eye are darker tommorw... Ill post some pics... Now next tiki Ill start tommorow is a Pirate Tiki!

Thanks everyone for the support

Looking Good!

T

that is one hi-tech-tiki

Solar Tiki looks GREAT. And this one's shaping up nice too. At this rate, your yard's gonna be overflowing with tikis. Keep sharing, your work's really progressing.

B

Well lookee, lookee, lookee, I think you a natchal my man. The solar guy is very nice and the "Unplanned" tiki turned out great and may be your best. There is a lesson here...Let it flow. Start with a plan nad Don't stick to it as it develops.
Very Nice.

T

Ok her was my unplanned, spur of the moment Tiki.... Redwood stained... I actually like this one alot

Bad camera angle... doesnt real lean like that

T

To answer a couple of questions..
Each eye in the solar tiki has its own light

I made two resin eye covers to difuse lights... Used plastic wrap to shap them...

thanks everyone... Starting next Tiki. It is a Pirate tiki

Pages: 1 16 replies