Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Where to find Ryden Exotica print ?

Pages: 1 20 replies

Does anyone know where I could get an inexpensive Exotica "poster"...or do they exist ?

Good question. I'd also love a print/copy.

Those sold out a while back. They were a VERY small edition and not cheap! Bosko had them at one time. You can check it out here: http://www.tikibosko.com/exotica.htm

I've looked pretty hard to find a copy but haven't had much luck.

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2005-04-27 08:11 ]

S

When I purchased the set they were not exactly cheap, and have long since sold out, best bet is e-bay, and generally they go for around a grand. With the way Mark Ryden is gaining recognition and popularity, along with his hesitency to release future prints of his painintgs, they are likely to increase in cost/value. For a cheaper, smaller, not nearly as cool alternative, you can buy "taboo the art of tiki" book, cut out the pages with the images and frame them.

T

I see on Bosko's site they list the edition as 50 prints, and framed, for $1100 (sold out)

I bought my set as part of an unframed edition of 200 copies of each print (Pele and Exotica), for the cost of $300 each.

This was at least 5 years ago, tho.

Were there two editions, or did Bosko aquire 50 of the prints, frame them, and sell them at the new price, leaving 150 remaining in the other edition?

I think he did 50 canvas, 200 paper of each print.

I did see that bosko site. I think that is where I 1st saw the print. I was thinking more like a $29.95 poster : ) I've searched around the web, but I haven't found anything yet. It doesn't seem as though they exist, unless there are some bootlegs floating around. Anyway thanks for all the info. I'll just keep my eyes open.

[ Edited by: JTcoconut on 2005-04-27 18:20 ]

TM

I am also desperately looking for an Exotica or Pele print and willing to pay the price (the $1K premium plus one kidney or whatever else I can legally offer). Someone, anyone, if you are looking to finance a Hukilau trip or some other reason, please PM me or put your print up on e-bay.

I have one of the canvas prints that I ordered from Bosko many moons ago. The bad news, I trimmed off some of the white border when I framed it myself. Probably a costly
mistake. I'm willing to part with my copy of "Balloon Boy"
if anyone is interested

If anyone wants to pay huge bucks for an "Exotica" ..There is one on ebay.(not my auction)

You can always buy the Martin Denny 2 cd "Best Of" set...the fold out booklet is the "Exotica" print. Then you get 2 cds of great music AND a small copy of the print!! How can you go wrong??

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002U5U/qid=1124222012/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-2946702-3885438

Th' Bargoyle

ps. Its the only way I could afford a copy of that print too!

This is a painful subject for me. I came across some framed Exotica and Pele prints years ago at the San Diego Comicon comic book convention of all places. Ryden wasn't really that popular back then and the framed prints were going for under a couple hundred bucks each. I opted to buy stupid Batman and Sin City comics instead. Doh! I remember seeing them on Bosko's site for over a grand and thinking how stupid I was to pass them up. Moral of the story........if you can find one just buy it.

The recent auction of the artist proof for Exotica went for $2,250 and a similar artist proof for Pele went at the low low buy-it-now price of $3,250. Same buyer of both prints.

As a discussion point, anyone want to weigh in on the ethics (and perhaps legal) ramifications of having an artist paint a "tribute" work of these two masterpieces?

On 2005-08-17 12:08, Tiki Mark wrote:

As a discussion point, anyone want to weigh in on the ethics (and perhaps legal) ramifications of having an artist paint a "tribute" work of these two masterpieces?

What a weird idea. Apart from the legal/ethical rams, to me the craftsmanship Mark Ryden's paintings (which equals that of the old masters) is an integral part of their mystique, how could anybody copy that? Putting a tigerclad babe into volcano with some Tikis around it is not going to capture the steamy swamp atmosphere of his art, which is is too multi-layered and complex to copy.

Granted, there is a whole new generation of Juxtapoz artists which are assuming his style (his now girlfriend included) but nothing will ever come close to the two Capitol CD cover art pieces, which have perhaps converted as many people into Tiki followers as Shag's whole oeuvre.

For Tiki home bar decor purposes, it should be easy to color xerox and blow up the pieces from the Taboo Tiki book, frame'em, and voila!

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.