Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what is tiki torture?

Pages: 1 20 replies

mountains of aloha to all,

i come seeking truth regarding the true meaning of 'tiki torture'. i have found references to it being an actual method of torture used in the 1940-50's. one reference (an add for a hat) seemed to indicate that the torture method consisted of prolonged exposure to the sun. another reference seemed to imply insanity brought on by the constant beat of a drum. does anyone know for sure?

Tiki Torture: The act of having a bunch of limited Tiki mugs get released at the same time and having no money to buy them.

H

Is to watch someone brake vintage mugs to a thousand pieces slowly one after another.

Listening to "Quiet Village Idiot" by the Tards.

p.s. The A-side, "I'm Just Like You" is equally unsettling.

On 2005-04-28 17:40, hiltiki wrote:
Is to watch someone brake vintage mugs to a thousand pieces slowly one after another.

Isn't that every day at Poly Pops place?

I seem to recall he has a problem with spontaneously exploding mugs...

H

So true..

Tiki Torture is going on a thrift store hunt and coming up empty.

RR

On 2005-04-28 22:04, Unkle John wrote:
Tiki Torture is going on a thrift store hunt and coming up empty.

Even worse, going to a thrift store and seeing somebody grab a mug right as you spot it on the shelf.

On 2005-04-28 11:34, el dutcho wrote:

...insanity brought on by the constant beat of a drum.

What about the poor drummer? That would drive him crazy too PLUS give him a sore arm.

-Z

D

Always having to travel out of your immediate area to go to a decent tik bar/restaurant. Can' t they ever be within walking distance? Which brings me to another torturous point: tiki bars that aren't quite completely ass-kicking, as in my case Otto's Shrunken Head & Waikiki Wally's. These places are OK, but make you long for the real places that are a project to get to.

This is tikitortured...

Tiki torture to me is when people complain about their tiki bars not being good enough!

Boo hoo!

I am my closest tiki bar! Enjoy what you've got, make a sweet home bar if you don't have anything, and quit yer complainin'! :)

If anyone wants me, I'll be in a Mai Tai.

WARNING! SLIGHT NUDITY!

Tiki Torture

Hey hey hey

Ottos is a mecca of the Tiki rock-a-billy world that I think everyone should get out to. That place is hands down the coolest bar I've ever been to and I wish I could head out their more fequently. And who are we to complain? We have Chan's and Lee's within 20 miles of each other, and both are as classic as it gets.

-g-

George Koroneos
Life In A Bungalo Digest
http://www.lifeinabungalo.com
A Web zine dedicated to all that is cool about Rock 'N' Roll

[ Edited by: liabungalo on 2005-04-29 12:52 ]

[ Edited by: liabungalo on 2005-04-29 13:03 ]

J

Tiki torture is finding an illusive or rare mug on Ebay that you have been searching for or which has more of a sentimental importance to you than just another mug to throw up on a shelf and forget. Perhaps the auction title is vague enough that you start believing you're the only one to discover this "holy grail" and you're probably going to be the only one to bid. You wait, place your bid and when it's all over and done with you find out that that due to an upcoming mortgage and car payments your conservative maximum bid left you completely out of the running! Damn you bank account! Why have you forsaken me!!! :)

T

Tiki Torture is The Reef bar playing hip hop.

On 2005-04-29 19:11, tikiyaki wrote:
Tiki Torture is The Reef bar playing hip hop.

yup!!!

T

Tiki torture: When your mai tai runs dry and your muumuu gives you a wedgie. Ah, and you have a bamboo splinter in your arse.

Tiki Torture us relatives giving you Parrothead crap because they "knew you were into tiki stuff".

On 2005-05-03 14:01, TikiMaxton wrote:
Tiki Torture us relatives giving you Parrothead crap because they "knew you were into tiki stuff".

Too true. We are the recipients of every pineapple motif weirdness that crosses the shelves of Marshalls, TJMAXX and any place else my my mom shops. I shouldn't complain, some of it is salvageable!

J

I'm in for a revision of my previous post... tiki torture is having to read an unending stream of new "Oasis" topics in almost every forum here on TC. Jeez, can't you people keep this stuff to yourselves or PM each other? As an absolutely jealous tikiphile with no chance in hell of ever making it to the Mecca that is Tiki Oasis, or any other tiki event for that matter, every new topic that pops up leaves me feeling more and more like the kid who doesn't get to go to the cool kids birthday party because of a piano recital! Stop it already!! Haven't you people heard of e-mail? :wink: I've purposely avoided reading the events forum for a couple months now and I will continue to do so until the dust settles!

Have fun and remember to raise a toast to those of us still thirstily wandering the tiki-less deserts of America with nothing more than a flimsy, brightly-colored aloha shirt to shield us from the blinding rays of gray we see on a daily basis. For we are destined to wander this mundane desert for all eternity. We will never get the chance to dip a toe in the Tropics swimming pool, or quench our cracked throats with a cooling but potent drink whipped up by Al, or simply basking in the camaraderie of a thousand other like minded "friends" that we've never met but who somehow feel like family. Off in the distance we can see The Oasis on the horizon but sadly for us it remains nothing more than a mirage.

Enough of my boo-hooing - have fun all! Take lots of pics! :)

Pages: 1 20 replies