Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

kick_the_reverb in Seattle June 2-4

Pages: 1 23 replies

Hi folks,
I know this will be swallowed by the Oasis posts, but here goes (and I hope this is the right forum):
I'll be travelling to Seattle to see Satan's Pilgrims play for the first time in many years.
I'll be arriving June 2nd at night, then have most of Friday to kill until I go to the gig at night. Then on Sat morning (4th) I'll be flying back to SD.
If anyone is in the area, and feel like meeting, let me know.

I also have a question - I'm thinking of either staying around the Airport (most likely) or around Downtown. If I choose to stay downtown, are there any budget hotels I should avoid at all cost, or maybe some I should look into?

Thanks
Ran

D

yay! finally, a visitor to the Emerald City! (the last one was PolyPop, ane we all know what happened then.. and cant talk details till the statute of limitations is up)

we'd be happy to host a happy hour here, or meet up at Luau, Islands, Ohana or anywhere!

elicia

T

Ran -

I can't give you a hotel suggestion for downtown because last time I went to Seattle I stayed in a motel near the Space Needle.

But if you have a day free I recommend a drive to Tacoma to do some thrifting and to have a drink at Bob's Java Jive, 2102 S. Tacoma Way. It's an old bar in a giant teapot and it's the closest you'll find to an old tiki bar atmosphere in the area.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WATACjavajive.html

There are also 2 apartment buildings in Tacoma with tikis on the grounds (or there were when I was there). I forgot their names and locations but with a little research I probably could find out.

On 2005-04-28 15:31, dogbytes wrote:
yay! finally, a visitor to the Emerald City! (the last one was PolyPop, ane we all know what happened then.. and cant talk details till the statute of limitations is up)

Statute of limitations? I thought we said, "what happens in Seattle stays in Seattle." I still can't get my mind off that homeless guy and his urine soaked dog...

Thanks for the info guys...I'll also post info about the gig in the music forum.
Ran

Hey Poly-Pop,

I ran into the homeless guy and his dog and he wants to attend tiki oasis and stay in your room. Is that cool?? See you there...

W

For motel location pick downtown over the airport. The airport is near 30 minutes south of downtown so you waste a lot of time getting there and back. There's also just motels and parking lots down there. Beautiful, yes, but in a dismal way few appreciate.

There aren't any really bad motels in the main downtown area. It's mostly swank hotels in the core of downtown, motels near the Seattle Center (Space Needle) area. Most of the motels in that area have been remodeled in recent years to make them nice-nice for those who don't like to play the "What does this stain look like to you?" game. A lot of the motels on Aurora Ave North from the 700 block up are dives. The exceptions are a few name chains (like Howard Johnson's).

Neighborhoods with motels and good proximity to downtown: Queen Anne, Ballard, Greenwood, Lake Union, East Lake, West Lake, Capitol Hill, Wallingford, University (U) District. For best access stay south of 50th Street. For best smell avoid Aurora motels (as noted above).

Once again I recommend priceline.com for getting a great price on a weekend stay. If you try it pick the "Downtown" and "Lake Union" (covers the area by the Seattle Center) options. Avoid the other options, too far for a short visit. I always place a bid at what I'd realistically like to pay and generally always get a room first bid. You can check some area motel prices to give you an idea of where to start your bid.

Pretty good lists here:

http://www.seeseattle.org/visitors/lodging/default.asp?cat=Hotels+%26+Motels&sort=Downtown+Seattle

http://www.seattlehotels.worldweb.com/

A downtown West Coast Cool option:

http://www.acehotel.com

Downtown, cool, fairly cheap for downtown, and right above one of our best "dive" bars:

http://www.moorehotel.com

While thejab's head for cool and knowledge of swell is far superior to most cats I'd have to say that Tacoma is too far for a short visit. It's a great city and a good trip for anyone who wants to get an idea of what Seattle was like before they leveled it. And if anyone does go to the Java Jive go at night 'cause you won't wanna see what the light of day reveals. And plan on drinking beer. From a can.

If you have any questions about a motel's location, where to get a shoe resoled in a flash, or Happy Hours, you can e-mail me directly.

Wow woofmutt!
That's quite a wealth of info, thanks a lot. I'm glad I didn't get a room yet. I'll use the new info to get it.
Thanks,
Ran

Hi folks,
As I said, I posted a some info in the music section. Check it out:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14588&forum=11&0

Only 3 weeks away!
Ran

D

bump
Ran is hanging out with me on friday ~ we're thinking about some sightseeing and a visit to the Experience Music Project.

help think of a place to meet for dinner ~ Luau and Islander are rumored to be undergoing some changes, but i dont know if the food quality has been affected.. recommendations please

my cell is two oh six-three two one-four oh nine six.

elicia

W

How about the Cheescake Factory? It's got such a whimsical name!

I pretty much know nothin' bout restaurants unless they have a happy hour. The Rendezvous has good burgers and veggie options (if any of you are freaks that eat that way). It's also neat inside and is just a block north of Lava Lounge.

The food in Turntable/Liquid Lounge at the Emp is good, but the space is boring (concrete and bent plywood).

(I'd have called the above number but I'm avoiding personal interaction due to the effort involved.)

D

On 2005-06-01 19:42, woofmutt wrote:
How about the Cheescake Factory?

oh yeah, right after we hit olive garden and pf changs.

(I'd have called the above number but I'm avoiding personal interaction due to the effort involved.)

no problem, i have you (my favorite stalker) blocked anyways!!

actually Ran espressed intrest in seeing the tiki restaurants. so i thought maybe lunch at Islander then dinner at Ohana (he likes sushi)..

we have 40 hours to figure this out.. winging it is fun!

P

Selector Lopaka and I would like to meet you guys at Ohana for dinner...let us know what time, and we'll see you there !

Havn't worked out the fine details yet, but I think dinner should be around 6:00 or 6:30 (to leave time to eat in leisure and make it to the gig on time).
What do you think?
Ran
(only a few hours away...)

P

Sounds great, Ran ! I'll call Elicia's cell phone tomorrow afternoon to check in. See you tomorrow.

D

ok, here's the plan
Friday June 3 ~
hang out with KiTR
Noonish (maybe) Lunch at Islander
EMP and sightseeing
5:00 meet at Selector Lopaka & Puamana's
6:30 Dinner at Ohana
Funhouse to see Satan's Pilgrims

call on the cellphone.. and meet up with us!

Man, I wish I could be up there with you guys - sounds like fun! Missed this trip by 2 weeks...

Hey, I need to do some work at home this evening to prepare for leaving town tomorrow morning, but still hope to make the Funhouse. Dogbytes, if you see this before you go, let me know your best guess at what time you guys will get there.

D

argh! KiTH and i were busybusybusy yesterday and didnt check in with TC..

we:
hit 3 thrift stores (got 2 TV coconuts)
pikes place
archie mc phees
Islander for lunch (its still good food!!)
Surplus store
Experience Music Project
(drive like maniacs to pick up Todd)
drinks at Selector Lopaka & Puamana's
dinner at Ohana
(drive like maniacs to recover show tickets)
we were at Funhouse when it opened (9 pm)
listened to two opening bands that sucked.
then the SATAN'S PILGRIMS...

holygods what a fantastic group. such energy. they played a 90 min set that blew my flip-flops off! hell, if i didnt have to work on saturday, i'd drive to portland to see them play again!!

i think we got 4 hours sleep, then dropped KiTH off at the airport..

a crazy 36 hours..

I'm just winding down from the gig we played in San Diego (which was good btw), having had about 3 hours of sleep, I can still say wow - it was all worth it. It was so cool to hang out with Dogbytes and then with Dogbytes, Todd, Selektor Lopaka & Puamana. Thank you so much for all the hospitality and swag. It was awsome (and what a great place TC is, where you get to meet such friendly and gracious people).
I only took a couple of pics at puamana & Selektor Lopaka's place, and a couple at gig. I'll try to post soon (maybe tomorrow). I'll also put a link to a lot of pics from the gig that were taken by my other internet friends (surf music yahoo groups), if I can find it.
Anyway, enough rambling for 3:30 am...
Mahalo to the Seattle Ohana, hoping to see you guys soon,
Ran

Ok,
Being too busy and having an extremely slow internet connection prevented me from uploading the measly 2 pics that I took, but I have a link to the pics from Satan's Pilgrims show.
http://www.surfguitar101.com/photos/spSeattle/index.html
http://www.surfguitar101.com/photos/spPortland/index.html
some videos:
http://www.surfguitar101.com/videos/index.html
Enjoy!
Ran

The pics I took at Puamana & Selektor Lopaka's place:

Left to right - Todd, Dogbytes, Selektor Lopaka, Puamana

Until next time...
Ran

thanks for posting the pics of Satan's Pilgrims! we were sitting too far back to see the band. glad we were there to hear 'em.

we bought the CD, but its not nearly as energetic as the live show!

e

It seems that's always the case, especially with surf bands, that's why I try to see a lot of live shows. Next time I'm making you guys stand at the front...

Ran
(dogbytes - only a few weeks till the ISO9000 audit - yay!)

Pages: 1 23 replies