Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Dollar Tree tiki items

Pages: 1 20 replies

D

Just there today and they had lots of tiki items for the summer. Resin tikis like before but different(didn't buy any), trays, bowls, candle holders and party supplies such as banners, table clothes, bags etc. Resin palm trees and wine bottle hula shirts with leis to go around them. Not bad for a buck.

K

Wow! They're late this year. I'm going tomorrow and will post pics if I find anything.

Juno, please do post any pics.. i went aboiut 2 weeks ago to Odessa, and their DT didn't have anything.. cool DVDs though, but no Hawaiian/Exotic movies. Got some cool old cartoons though, now I have the whole Fliesher Superman series.

K

I went to 2 different Dollar Tree's bright and early this morning. They only had the same 8 styles of tikis they had last year. Didn't see any of the other stuff. I'll keep checking.

RR

The one that I went to this morning said that out of 48 that were shipped to them 2 survived.

Went on a rainy, foggy day. Needed a fog cutter when I was done! (Sorry) Here are the 8 tikis. Quite a few left here in Rochester. Bought some palms as well. Display my model cars under them!

![](http://home.eznet.net/~rstio/fla 004.jpg)
![](http://home.eznet.net/~rstio/fla 005.jpg)
![](http://home.eznet.net/~rstio/fla 006.jpg)

Hahahaha! (oops - sorry Rob Roy)
That goes to show you - you get your money's worth at the dollar store!

Go back and read ikitnrev's warning; his Dollar Store wall sconce fell and seriously threatened a fine mug.

(Bought loads of Dollar Crap there meself!)

Hey, Nokala Rocky's Tikis look just like last years to me. Are they made of a different, thinner material? I'll be going tomorrow to have a look myself.

Hey Silver line I'm not sure about the thickness, as All were sold out when I went last year. Seem pretty good though, with a little felt bottom so as not to scratch the furniture!

Have you ever gone to the antique boat show in Clayton, N.Y.??

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2005 8:27 PM

I would love to know the story behind the design and manufacture of these little guys. From what I've learned, most of these cheap tiki items are designed and manufactured in China and then purchased at shows by US retail stores such as Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Old Time Pottery etc. Most of the items tend to be fairly derivative of existing designs or even downright rip-offs. These little tikis, however, seem to me to be very original (whimsical) interpretations of more traditional styles. They may be cheaply made but the designs are rather intricate. Whoever did the original sculpts did a hell of a good job.

I ran out and bought all of these last year. I have to say that I tried but was unable to integrate them into my existing "tiki decor." But hey, I have the same problem with Coco Joes.

I bet there's a good story behind these cheap tikis. There may be some Chinese Benzart carver who deeply loves Hawaiiana who is behind all of this. Maybe Tiki Magazine could do an investigative report? :wink:

*On 2005-04-30 20:02, Nokala Rocky wrote:*Have you ever gone to the antique boat show in Clayton, N.Y.??

Nope, never been. There's a pretty good show and swap here twice a year that I go to. I think there's a lot more wood than fiberglass at Clayton, and I lean more toward the 50's and 60's glass boats myself. "Tupperware" is what some of the wood guys call us. :)

K
Kenike posted on Sun, May 1, 2005 8:16 AM

I would love to know the story behind the design and manufacture of these little guys.

Not sure of the story behind them, but this year they have different tags on them: "Tradewind Bay Luau" & "Polystone Tikki Figure" ...yes, thats how they spelled tiki. Then in fine print it says "Distributed by Greenbrier International, Inc. Chesapeake, VA 23320 Made In China"

I also thought they felt heavier than last years. They're definitely a darker color.

went and picked up a set today......

PI

Needed to kill time before my dr's appt and went it and ended up buying a few. I'll put them on the patio and if the wind knocks them over and they break, I won't cry like when my cool vase broke.

The glaze is all messed up on these. It's very cloudy. A friend bought them for me last weekend at da Dollar Tree.

I forgot to mention they're marked "Libbey's"

UJ

On 2007-02-10 03:23, pappythesailor wrote:

Has anyone seen these Libbey mugs in their DT's yet? I've been scouring mine and they just now got the two different colored statues from previous years out. Not to mention the crap that Oriental Trading Co sells. They assured me they were getting some, but i wanted a back-up plan. I'd love to pick up a few of the libbey's for my bar & collection. If any Texas Tikiphiles have seen some or have extras, I'll gladly pay for them at our meet up. Or should I say:

I'll glady pay you Tuesday, for a tiki today :)

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-04-09 20:36 ]

J

I just picked up two of those mugs at Cost Plus World Market in Oakland yesterday. They have them in the slightly cloudy brown and a rich blue. I don't think my brown one is as cloudy as the ones in the pic above and my blue one is pretty clear. They're $4 each. I'll post pics of mine in a day or two.

N

Tiki music has invaded The Dollar Tree with this compilation aptly titled "Tiki Party". When I saw the CD it brought to mind the film Repo Man where most of the food and drinks were generic with black and white labeling and on first listen this one followed the tradition. The songs are either ukulele, slide guitar, or with drums and chanting like the Samoan slap dance, one track titled Amonia (Is that even a word?) has a Denny sound sans the bird calls.
So if you want to have a very non specific tiki party with plastic tiki mugs, and grenadine laced mai tais, and pronouncing Kamekamehaha instead of Kamehameha look no further.

I saw those generic looking CDs in envelopes at Dollar Tree and didn't even take a second look. Never saw the Tiki Party one if it was there! What's shocking is that it's actually appropriate music!

Every "Tiki Party" music CD I've seen at any chain store has usually had "Play That Funky Music" "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Hot, Hot, Hot" on it!

Here's my favorite Dollar Tree item this year:

I really miss those Dollar Tree Tikis from a few years ago, I was hoping they'd be there every year since I got a whole bunch of Cigar Boxes recently and was hoping to do a series of shadow box dioramas.

I really miss those Dollar Tree Tikis from a few years ago, I was hoping they'd be there every year since I got a whole bunch of Cigar Boxes recently and was hoping to do a series of shadow box dioramas.

i agree....i really could use those cheap tikis for drawer and cabinet pulls in my house, now that i need them!!!!...bastards!!!

Pages: 1 20 replies