Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

zorn/recommended artist MP3s @ kooch-e-koo.com

Pages: 1 12 replies

K

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/mp3.html

deal with these sounds...tell me they aren't echoing in your ears as they are in mine...more to come...sorry zorn...i had to!

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com

[ Edited by: kooche on 2005-04-30 13:46 ]

Sweet!! Almost beyond classification! Moooreee!!! Moooooreee!!!!!! :o

K

ask...and receive... j zorn is my hero... sometimes he lets me down ... mostly he is my hero though...he's a risk taker at heart and he must know that fortune favors the brave!

i dig the music sharing thing...i can't help it!

check my MP3 page for more new linked files coming soon...my music rules!

S

For a while Zorn was like Steven King, he put out stuff faster than I could consume it...

K

the thing is...he is a musical and biz genius ...one because he is the other...so when i buy his stuff...i read the cover and trust and believe EVERYTHING!!!

from his "NEWS/UPCOMING" section on tzadik.com

John Zorn: Filmworks XVI [#7347]
Zorn’s latest soundtrack is scored for percussion and electronics, and features two masterful musicians who have been working with him consistently since 1981: Cyro Baptista and Ikue Mori. The subject of the film is quite remarkable—men who work life-threatening jobs—and as the settings jump from Java to China, Nigeria to the Ukraine, so does the music. Steaming sulphur mines, the bloodbaths of a brutal slaughterhouse…these are just a few of the scenes that are evoked in this unique score that blends dynamic rhythms with ambient soundscapes.

"more please" is right...again...sorry zorn...

Thanks for the heads up!!! That stuff is cool!! What are some essential albums to buy in your opinion???

K

these are ESSENTIAL listening experiences...for me...

John Zorn : The Gift
Cat. # 7332
Released Apr 2001
cd time - 51:31
US Price $15.00
A beautiful and lyrical exploration of surf, exotica, easy listening and world beat, The Gift is an honest and heartfelt offering to music lovers the world over: an invitation to forget about the worries and cares of the world; to sit back and relax. Featuring Marc Ribot (Postizos), Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle), Cyro Baptista (Herbie Hancock), Jamie Saft (Bobby Previte), Joey Baron (Masada) and many special guests, this is the album Naked City fans have been waiting for. A side of John Zorn you’ve rarely heard, the music of The Gift is both relaxing and stimulating, like feeling perfectly at home in a place you’ve never been before. John Zorn "for lovers only."

John Zorn : The Big Gundown - 15th Anniversary Special Edition
Cat. # 7328
Released Aug 2000
cd time - 74:54
US Price $15.00
"This is a record that has fresh, good and intelligent ideas. It is realization on a high level, a work done by a maestro with great science-fantasy and creativity. At times my works have been varied from but it doesn’t change anything because the pieces are still recognizable. My ideas have been realized not in a passive manner, but in an active manner which has recreated and re-invented what I have done previously for films. Many people have done versions of my pieces, but no one has done them like this." — Ennio Morricone.

Boasting an incredible all-star lineup of musical masters, The Big Gundown is THE landmark album that first introduced Zorn’s wild musical universe to a larger audience, influencing a whole new generation of creative musicians. Newly remastered, this 15th anniversary edition includes six remarkable bonus tracks recorded especially for this definitive edition now available exclusively from Tzadik.

Accompanying this classic pairing of Morricone’s brilliant originals and Zorn’s exciting arrangements is a fabulous 32 page full color booklet filled with informative notes, movie stills, posters and more.

John Zorn : Filmworks XIII: Invitation To A Suicide
Cat. # 7341
Released Sep 2002
cd time - 57:44
US Price $15.00
2002 proves to be a watershed year for Zorn, with this being his fifth film score in three months. Here, a taste of Ennio Morricone, Astor Piazzola, French musette and Nino Rota make up what is perhaps his greatest film score to date. At times bizarre, haunting, exhilarating and powerful, the lush sonorities of this dynamic group will surprise you as much as it did Zorn himself. A romantic new lyricism. A remarkable new direction. Unexpected, inevitable and absolutely essential.

see ... ESSENTIAL...just like i have stated...

V

I do love "the gift" as well. But he's so prolific I don't like all his stuff at all.

K

Virani

yeah i agree with you...to make a positive blanket statement about zorn is to misguide...but...when he is being accessible he does it better than anyone aside from brian wilson...SOME of zorn's work is incredible...but a LOT of it just sounds like he is high as can be...i have learned the hard way that if the album description even hints that there MIGHT be chaos involved it means i'll hate and return the record for store credit...someone that loves noise and improvisation will be overjoyed to find my returned album at a used price...just like i would be to find "the gift"

aloha

saw zorn on naked city and masada tours, still need to get "the gift"....keep forgettin to look for it at the record store, but this thread just reminded me, im gonna try hunting this down this week!

K
kooche posted on Mon, May 2, 2005 8:56 AM

yeah the gift is an amazing record...so worth tracking down...if i didn't respect mr j zorn more i'd post the whole thing without tags on it...but i really want that man to know that if he makes more we'll crunch all we want on it...it's beautiful stuff!

you won't be sorry...anybody in LA should hit amoeba and pull "the gift" and ikue mori "painted desert" (used at $8.99) from the experimental section... you'll love them both if you like exotica/surf tunes

It's the Naked City stuff that really floats my boat. Fast, funny, and curveballs in every direction. Even now it completely blows people away, but putting it into the context of when it came out?.........Wow!

The Gift is wonderful too, though, and I must give you (Kooche) thanks for pointing me in it's direction. A damn fine album.

Trader Woody

K

Pages: 1 12 replies