Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The New York Dolls-best show of the year so far

Pages: 1 4 replies

D

I was lucky enough to see one of the sold out New York Dolls shows at Irving Plaza here on the band's home turf in NYC this past week. Even though most of the band is no longer with us, David Johansen, Sylvain Sylvain and their band were as ass-kicking as they were 30 years ago. I'm not a big fan of band revivals, but I saw the Dolls last summer when they were part of Little Steven's Underground Garage Fest, and aside from being a fan already, I was blown away by their performance. David Johansen was put on this earth to perform and at 50 something years old he can still pull it off. Like Iggy Pop, age is nothing but a number and these guys put as much venom and fun into there performances as if nothing in their careers had ever changed. At this point Johansen is better at what he does than Mick Jagger is. Not to take anything away from Mick, but he is bordering on being a parody of what he once was. With Johansen: it's all there! Sylvain too. Just a great show all around, and in a New York City where the once strange and dark landscape continues to slowly morph into what resembles an episode of MTV-The Real World, it was good to be in the middle of the old-school freak vibe that once prevailed in this town.

The Dolls tour is a short one. If they come to your town and you're a fan, don't dismiss them as some dinosaurs, just put down the Good Charlotte CD for a sec and get yourself down to wherever they're playing (I know..if you are a Dolls fan, you wouldn't own any Good Charlotte).

Also the band that opened for them that night was an incredible trio from Philly called The Burning Brides. Insane...maximum heavy-osity, and the little lady who plays the bass was nice to look at too.

Check out the Dolls!!

damn, burning brides get on a ton of good bills.......saw sylvain several years ago in chicago, good show.....so who is playin bass and drums for the dolls on this tour??

hey Ho - you've definately wetted my appetite for a Dolls show. Hope they've got San Diego-go on their itinerary. I saw David Johansen in '79 (post dolls / pre poindexter) and he kicked ass. Also love Sylvain Sylvain's solo effort(s) and still spin that vinyl. I'm still kickin' my ass for missin' the late, great Johnny Thunders when he played here last (1980). I had a ticket but wuz too f#cked up to get there. Oh well, you can't put your arms around a memory, so don't try.

Argh. I completely forgot the Dolls were coming to town. I saw Dave J. play a park right next door to my house last summer, but it was predominantly blues standards and stripped down Dolls songs. He played for three hour for free and it was awesome.

-g-

D

From the official NY Dolls website
http://www.new-york-dolls.com

The current Dolls lineup is:

David Johansen (vocals)
Sylvain Sylvain (guitar)
Steve Conte (guitar)
Sami Yaffa (bass)
Brian Delaney (drums)
Brian Koonin (keyboards)

Remaining tour dates