Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Django Reinhardt

Pages: 1 7 replies

K
kooche posted on Mon, May 2, 2005 9:57 PM

i recently added some MP3s to my site and thought that some of the people that AREN'T checking the tiki music section might get off on some off this music...some of it is exotica related but the last few files i have posted aren't at all...i get a lot of feedback from my site especially about the narative charm that a sound file can add to an image... i trust myself when i say that i probably know more about music across the board than 90% of the TC community because i spend HOURS in the jazz/classical - rock - world and electronic section each week...diggin and reading and listening ...what i mean is...listen and love it...i think you will!

whosoever listens to Django hears the harmony in the planets

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/mp3.html

I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has an EXCELLENT public radio station (WDET). They play Django Reinhardt all the time.

Great Stuff!

-Z

PS... this is the same station that had a decent tribute to Martin Denny after his passing.

[ Edited by: feelin' zombified on 2005-05-03 09:53 ]

For a long time, the Casanova Lounge in SF's Mission had Django Reinhardt on the jukebox. It was a fun way to piss off the frat boys :)

(The proprietor is the former owner of the cafe Radio Valencia, where I once saw John Zorn play on a Sunday afternoon!)

What was the connection to the Hot Club? I had a roommate who was way into the Hot Club, Django, and we went to see the Hot Club of SF and the Hot Club of Cow Town whenever they'd come to town. I can't say I'm the least bit knowledgable about the genre, but they were good shows!

K
kooche posted on Tue, May 3, 2005 4:50 PM

to me the connection between zorn and django is just great music...nobody in the history of guitar played as beautifully as reinhardt...this is of COURSE outside of the realm of classical guitar...see andrew segovia for that...zorn (when he is being accessible) has HUGE guitar sounds from way the hell out west...django certainly has a huge guitar sound...and i have never heard such an intuitive guitarist as he...too bad he died in 1953 when he was just beginning to play live sets again...this after getting used to playing electric guitar as opposed to acoustic...i understand he HATED it when he toured with the duke in 46...c'set la vie!

guitars are amazing things - as are all instruments!

T

I was going to post a message about mosaics, jazz but have yet to get around to it. I have a huge love of tiki, jazz and modern. I have the hrs django set on cd from mosaic. It's incredible.

I am close to getting a record player as my next step as exotica, martin denny and the exposure to music on this site. I've been stocking up for about a dollar a record.

Django transports you to a place of simpler times. Great, great music.

D

We started listening to alot of Django when I was pregnant. Sappy soul that I am I can't help but get all choked up when I hear his music. Django makes me happppyyyyyy :D

heya, kooche. Django is by far one of the best musicians of all time and his coupling with stephan produced some really insane sounds. I gobble up as much as I can, when I can of his stuff. I always love it when on the rare occasion chuck cecil plays a django tune...that's about the only opportunity I get to hear him on the radio.

Dunno if you've heard oscar aleman - he's the south american version of django that played around the same time. It was rumored that they would jam together in the wee hours when oscar was in europe

K

i am not familiar with homeboy from S America...sounds awesome man...i'd love to hear him improvise with another guitar master...it really is too bad that Django died so young...his discography is HUGE nonetheless...when i imagine him living another 25 years i just get depressed about what he would be capable of... mysterious ways!

Pages: 1 7 replies