Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Purple Jade

Pages: 1 9 replies

P

In anticipation of Oasis I have been reading up on cocktail recipes (grogs, that sort of thing). I was perusing a copy of the Playboy Bartender's Guide. A LOT of recipes in there and some interesting stuff. I came across a recipe called "Jade." It is made with Creme de Mente and a bunch of other stuff. It didn't look like something I would like, but it got me thinking. I could make a few modifications and maybe come up with something interesting. I had some ideas, and after my second try I came up with something pretty tasty. I call it PURPLE Jade, in honor of one of TC's finest ladies.

Purple Jade

· 1 ½ oz top shelf white rum
· ¾ oz Parfait Amour
· ¼ oz white Crème de Cacao
· 1 tsp Chambord
· lemon wedge
· SHAG Cocktail Candy (Blueberry)

Take lemon wedge and rub around the lip of a martini glass. Coat the lip of the glass in the cocktail candy (the Blue Berry – mostly for the color esthetic and because I like blueberry better than grape). Put a couple cubes of ice into a cocktail shaker and squeeze the lemon wedge into the shaker – not too much, just a gentle squeeze. Discard lemon wedge. Add rum, Parfait Amour, Crème de Cacao and Chambord. Shake and strain into glass. I haven’t figured out a garnish yet.

It comes out a bluish shade of lavender-purple, maybe a little bluer than you would expect actual purple jade to be (the stone, not herself). The white rum should be top shelf – slightly sweet and very smooth. Hints of citrus, chocolate and berries. A girl drink certainly, but it is sweet and complex, much like it’s namesake, who is most definitely a girl – so that seems appropriate.

Posting this may be a bit premature as I may play with it a bit still. I may try a cherry liqueur that I have instead of the Chambord. Still, I was impressed enough with the outcome that I decided to go ahead and post.

I will not be mixing this for my crawl drink at Oasis. But I may bring enough to make one or two.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho on 2005-05-03 01:12 ]

WOW!

What a nice surprise, and at a time when I could really use one.

I've been thinking about a Purple Jade cocktail recipe, even spoken with tikitanked about it (who was going to put some thought to it after he got done getting married and honeymooning and all).

This is actually quite similar to the ingredients we'd discussed, except for the creme de cacao, which truly is perfect because I do loves me chocolate!

Don't change the Chambord, I love that stuff!

I am quite honored, PPR, thank you.

If you do make any at Oasis, give everyone a sip and think of me. (I won't make it this year.)

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-05-03 08:17 ]

I'll drink to that!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

sounds tasty.

-Z

...and P.S.
I always hoped one day one of the many rat-bastard musicians I found myself linked with would write a song for me. Never happened.

So this will do just fine!

P

My dear, I would write a song for you if I could write songs (actually, I never tried). This is the best I can do right now. I am honored that you feel honored by it. It is a pretty good drink I think.

The Chambord will stay. I had actually thought of using Herbsaint, since it has "The Spirit of New Orleans" written right on the label. I like licorice, but I realize that a lot of people don't and I also thought that the yellow pastis might green up the color a bit too much, so I went with this. I am sorry you will not be at Oasis. I would certainly make one for you. You will be missed. Anybody who drinks one at Oasis must toast to you before they take a sip.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho on 2005-05-03 11:05 ]

H

I'm very sorry that you couldn't make it to Oasis, PJ, you were missed. I did, however, get to try one of PiPhiRho's tasty Purple Jade drinks. It has a fascinating finish that tasted just like nasturtiums to me, which I loved. I love the taste of nasturtium nectar, but I always feel guilty sacrificing a flower to get it. Cool drink!

B

I Always new Purple Jade could get you high. Way to go!

T

The Purple Jade sounds like a fitting tribute to a wonderful woman. I can't wait to try it at home. It should make a tasty after-dinner drink.

But PiPhiRho, don't discount The Jade in the Playboy drink guide. It is actually very good, much better than most drinks with creme de menthe that I've tried.

P

I have still been playing with this one a little, mostly with the amounts of the cacao and chambord. A little less cacao brings out the flavors in the Parfait Amour a little more, a little more chambord enhances both the color and the berry flavor. It's close. That perfect balance is somewhere in the fine tuning.

OK, Jab, I may try the original Jade one time. I'll need some green creme de menthe first, though. It's mnot something I have in my bar.

That PiPhiRho is quite a guy. Dedications to the ladies and an all around nice fella.

Great creation PPR.

Pages: 1 9 replies