Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Mid West weather and tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

E

I tried to use the search and maybe I am just not using the right search words, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.
I live in the Mid West where the weather is humid in the summer, wet spring and falls and of course snow in the winter. I was wondering with this weather combo if it is wise to even think about installing a tiki outside.
I've read that tikis go for $100 per ft. and I'm afraid to even thnk of putting tiki outsdie if he'd rot. Is maybe one type of wood or another better for my location?
While I have you all here, I have some more maybe sensitive questions to ask.
I have seen several people offering tikis for less than $100 per ft. on the internet. Is this based on the type of wood, the method of carving ( chainsaw vs hand tools) level of skill or just selling from a area where tikis don't sell or too many others selling in the same area. I know that's alot of questioning. But I have a very limited budget, and I'd really like to have a 4 to 5 ft tiki in the front yard. So I had better do my homework first and find out all I can. I realy don't know if even after finding out all I can, if I will be able to plead my case to my hubby for that kind of money.
Thank-you for pondering over all the questions, and your feedback.

TG

It all depends on your liking as far as what price per foot goes. Some people pay more for what appeals to them than others would. As far as wood goes...I personally carve palm, white pine and "pressure treated yellow pine". In my own opinion, pressure treated wood will definitely outlast any other wood out there, especially palm. It is a little more difficult to carve, but to have a tiki that will last 3-4 times longer than what most tikis are being carved out of is worth it, especially if you live in a wet climate. The aging factor plays a big part in what type of wood you choose for your tiki. I'm sure you will get different views from other carvers on here, but this is just my own two cents worth.....

Tiki G.
http://www.badasstikis.com

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-05-03 09:28 ]

TD

keep it's base off the ground, if you seal the wood ,matain it (sealing any cracks it gets over time ) or use a penitrating sealer (often) keep it out of the direct sunlight,or direct rain TD

T

Also try bringing them inside for the winter.

tiki d has it. buy the tiki you like, paying whatever you feel it is worth to you. Either have the carver seal it for you, or trudge down to your local boat supply store, buy some MARINE GRADE sealer and do it yourself.
Reapply every few years. Make tiki happy.

8T

I agree with the above statements. I'm also a Midwesterner and I leave some carvings outside but bring some others inside for winter. One thing to consider is that if you can move it and have a spot to store it, bring it in for winter. If not, preserve it and seal it best you can and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Then get a new one! If you can't stand the thought of your wooden idol eventually rotting , consider getting a concrete one made instead. Read the topics here on TC to learn more about that. Good Luck!

Pages: 1 5 replies