Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tra La La ... Banana Split Head for sale

Pages: 1 9 replies

I

One banana, two banana, 3 bananas, 4

Those of you interested in bubblegum music might be interested in this ...

Own the costume head of Fleegle, the Saint Bernard Dog from the 1969/71 cartoon rock group group 'The Banana Splits'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1534&item=6174592938&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Vern

T

Slightly disingenuous... notice the seller is from Cincinnati, Ohio - The King's Island theme park there had Banana Splits rubber-head walk-arounds in the 1970s.... Probably not used in the TV show, but from the park...

Compare the Ebay item:

with the actual suit from the show:

Nice catch, Tang.

Even given that the color might have faded or the camera altered the color, the eyebrows are still different and no black crease under the nose for a start.

Now I won't bid $200,000 as originally planned.

Sabu

N

The guy who played him on TV show lives in the next town from me- Port Townsend (His name escapes me now) and teaches people how to sail now. According to him he thought he hit the big time when he landed that role, and was disapointed when it ended.

Now if only someone could get a hold of a pair of the Sour Grapes Bunch boots...

I

There is an episode of the Partridge Family that was filmed during the inaugural season of the King's Park amusement park. The Banana Splits made a cameo in that episode - so perhaps this head has larger pop cultural meaning than one might think. (The Brady Bunch did an episode at this park too - remember when Jan's Yogi Bear poster got mixed up with Mike's blueprints)

The Splits also appeared in the movie 'Rollercoaster' alongside the group Sparks -- probably the same amusement park.

The Banana Splits were created with the hope that they could be big enough so that several similary costumed groups could be touring around the country - anybody could be inside the costumes. So there is a possibility that there could be more than one 'official' head.

By the way, did you know that the song 'Doin' the Banana Split' from their debut album was written by Barry White?

And I can't leave without saying that I still have my Banana Splits cereal bowl that I obtained as a kid - unfortunately the cup has long disappeared.
http://theimaginaryworld.com/box1219.jpg

Vern

P
Philot posted on Thu, May 5, 2005 9:38 AM

Geeze, thanks for resurrecting that particular earworm, ikitnrev!

(For any other sufferers out there, I've read that Led Zepplin's Kashmir kills earworms dead.)

S
Swanky posted on Thu, May 5, 2005 9:55 AM

Well, when the head of Drooper comes up for auction, I'm all in. Although this does create some interesting sexual role playing possibilities.

I always felt the song "Buffalo Soldier" by Bob Marley was a rip-off of the Banana Splits Theme Song. Every time I hear, "Oy yoy yo, Oy yoy yoy yo..." I also hear "Tra La La, Tra La La La..."

Is it just me?

On 2005-05-05 13:04, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I always felt the song "Buffalo Soldier" by Bob Marley was a rip-off of the Banana Splits Theme Song. Every time I hear, "Oy yoy yo, Oy yoy yoy yo..." I also hear "Tra La La, Tra La La La..."

Is it just me?

Nope, I always start singing "One banana, two banana, three banana, four" after the "Tra la la"s.

T

On 2005-05-05 13:04, stuff-o-rama wrote:

Is it just me?

Nope, not just you.

I've been saying this for DECADES!

Thanks for the back-up, pal!

I always immagine lil' Ziggy Marley sitting around watching the Splits while Bob somkes a spliff and tries to write new songs with all of that racket going on in the kid's room... and then: INSPIRATION!

Pages: 1 9 replies