Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Frazetta or Boris?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I've always thought that the king of barbarian art was Frank Frazetta hands down. His powerful brush strokes and bold drawing are the perfect match for the genre, yet people continually tell me they prefer Boris Veijo (sp). I don't get it.

Who is your choice, and why?

M

Agreed: Frank Frazetta hands down!

I liked the way his paintings had less detail (than Boris'), but said more. The "action" and emotion he created was much more dynamic. The bad guys were scary and the good guys were kicking their ass. I remember having a poster of the black knight with the glowing red eyes on the black stallion. Great painting.

Boris' stuff just looked like he paid a couple models to stand still while he painted a picture of them... standing still.

Weren't there a couple of brothers that tried to get into the fantasy painting scene as well? Hildebrandt or something like that?

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2005-05-04 16:44 ]

Frazetta's work is darker, I love all the death dealer stuff. Boris vallejo is sick with colors though. I think a happy middle ground is Simon Bisley.

[ Edited by: suicide_sam on 2005-05-04 17:36 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, May 5, 2005 7:03 AM

Frazetta all the way.

I just can't believe he never once did a south seas type piece. You'd think at least one of his paperback covers would have a south seas theme. The closest IMO is this one:

A tiki bar full of bloody Frazetta tiki paintings interspersed with naked Frazetta wahines would be perfect for me. What that says about me I don't know!

I still get them mixed up.

The painting of the Charriot being pulled by Polar Bears...that's top notch.

Boris gave a talk at our school years ago. I'll give him this, he zeroed in on the hottest women in the auditorium and asked her to model for him. I beleive she did.

Boris' stuff didn't have the raw energy, but as for looking like models, you may be thinking about Rowena. Her people always reminded me of mannequins. Very plastic.

Hmm, never heard of Bisley. I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

I don't think I ever saw that shark piece. How cool would a Frazetta tiki be? He's still paints a bit, maybe we can suggest it before it's too late. He has a museum of his originals in PA.

The polar bear chariot was Frazetta.

Ah Bisley, the brit-comic-geek most loved artist, when "Slaine - the Horned god" story first appeared in 2000ad what a moment, art work that good in a british comic AND in colour.

BoingBoing had this lovely Boris picture on it last week..

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/05/04/boris_vallejos_total.html

Love those Danzig album covers Bisley did too.

Boris Vallejo and his wife Julie Bell (also a fantasy artists) are funny cause they are both all huge and buff like the characters they paint.

Gotta go with Frazetta

My local art supply store apparently had Ken Kelly, Frank's one and only student for an appearance. I missed it, but did get a signed book and a pencil sketch for 20 bills. It's weird how many Frank paintings that Ken Kelly redid.

There's a documentary called "Frazetta: Painting With Fire" that's airing on the Independent Film Channel this month. Has anyone seen this? I caught the last five minutes of it this morning and what I saw made me want to kick myself for not waking up earlier. It airs again on 6/27 (I'll have to remember haw to program the VCR).

Pages: 1 11 replies