Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Beachin's big announcement...bad news...good news

Pages: 1 20 replies

B

So, yea...

The kiln MISFIRED with 47 pirates inside (plus the two prototypes I designed to show everybody this weekend)...and, well, they are not traveling to Palm Springs.

Beachin and hubby still are, though.

Ummmm. That's about it.

http://www.kimberlypcoburn.com

[ Edited by: beachin on 2005-05-06 09:25 ]

B

That really hurts Beachin, Hate to hear it. It happens to us all though in some form or another. I'll show you a box of pieces half to near done that met some unfortunate end.
Anyway, Have fun at Oasis.

Well, you are handling it like a pro, and deserve a vacation.

B

On 2005-05-06 14:04, Benzart wrote:
That really hurts Beachin, Hate to hear it. It happens to us all though in some form or another. I'll show you a box of pieces half to near done that met some unfortunate end.
Anyway, Have fun at Oasis.

Well...I survived it, so I guess I'm ok. Had a blast at Oasis, so that make everything alright! Thanks Benz!

B

On 2005-05-06 16:41, Raffertiki wrote:
Well, you are handling it like a pro, and deserve a vacation.

Yea...going ended up to be the right choice. I loved meeting everyone face-to-face and had a great vending experience. Took a few orders that I'll ship out this week, so all in all a great experience.

Me so tired now and must get through finals...Thanks, Raffertiki, for the encouragement!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 7:20 PM

so because of the over firing, how bad are the mugs. Are the useiable. Is the color bad?

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 7:21 PM

you can sell them for a bit cheaper and maybe one day they will be more valueble like the upside down airplane stamp.

B

They underfired, so the kiln is firing them again now. The jury is still out. They should be OK. I just put the wrong cone in during my stress over the event. Realizing the mistake made me feel better because I can't afford a new kiln right now.

If worse comes to worse, I can do what you say, but I did take orders this weekend, and must send a top-notch product to those kind folks who made the commitment.

I'm sure they'll be fine. I'll know more tomorrow evening. It was just the clear glaze did not melt entirely in the heavier spots, like the corners of the eyes, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions because had I been really upset about them, you would have heard a lot of beachin's internet whining. Luckily, the mistake looks to be an easy fix. YAY!

Good luck on those finals too, beachin!

S
SES posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 3:17 AM

Yikes... hope everything works out okay with them. Next time keep the prototypes and a few others in a different batch. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." I cannot count how many times I have ruined something because it wasn't perfect enough for me and I had to just do one more teensy thing to it which resulted in it being completely destroyed by either melting from the torch or grabbed and thrown across the room by some machine. Deadlines and stress always multiply the odds of this occurring.

B

I'm hoping the re-fire will work out OK for you, Beachin. These little things that happen to us are the building blocks of our skill that eventually turn us into "Pro's"
I'm So glad your Oasis trip was so sucessful. Sorry I wasn't there, but SoFla is too far away for me to come from for the weekend. Hopefully, at next years Oasis you will find me there..

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 8:25 PM

Dont let this discourage you too much. Just think, in a few years time you will be able to look back and laugh about it all :)

B

Good news! The second fire was a big success so all of the pirates are A-OK! Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement.

In two weeks, I'll look back and laugh, because then I'll be through the worst of it.

Next: Hukilau! YAY!

T

I will lok for your mugs. I just found out that I will be able to go to FL.

S
SES posted on Thu, May 12, 2005 6:33 AM

No more half baked pirates! :)

Aloha Beachin,
Sorry to hear about the misfire. What a bummer, but as Benz said, these are the things that make us learn and become pro's. I had some trouble getting some last minute work together for Oasis. Out of nowhere all the reds in my prints are coming out green. I goofed on it for hours before finally moving on. Turns out ther was a loose nut behind the keyboard...Me!
What I have learned is when rushing things, there is a tendency of overlooking the basic simple things. My mistake was forgeting to peel the paper off the ink cartridge so it could "breathe." Doink! What a maroon.
I was hopin' to get over to your booth and checkout the mugs but was so caught up in my world I didn't get to meet hardly any of the artist and vendors I was hoping too. Good to here your latest batch worked out.
Cheers,
Chongolio

P.S. You can send all those ruined mugs to Poly Pop, Just make to put them in a bag and drop them from a roof first Poly-pop is the Broken mug Kahuna :D

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

Edited by: Chongolio because I am a spaz

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2005-05-12 08:15 ]

dang ol double post man

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2005-05-12 08:09 ]

B

Thanks for the responses. Yea...I don't like to rush things cuz I made dumb mistakes that I would never make if I thought about it. Just got caught up under the stress of the trip.

I have a fried that says her show isn't successful unless something goes a little wrong. I don't want to think like that.

Only broken piece I have now is a platter the Homeland Security nazis broke on the flight back. So glad our planes are safe from ceramic platters! Apparently, they are a threat unless they are broken.

Sorry to hear about the wrong color ink, Chongolio. ...eek...maybe set a new fashion statement...green is the new red. "Make it so, No. 1"

B

OK....these guys are going back into the kiln tomorrow. I thought I'd do a before and after. See the glaze that didn't melt? Let's hope I can fix that. They need names. The back of the goblet is pretty plain, but the back of the mug says "This is what a Rum Hangover Looks Like"

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 7:21 PM

Cool looking designs. Waiting to see the after pics

Just went to your website - you got some cool stuff. I like the squid with boobs. "Honest - its just a squid with big eyes baby. I hadnt even noticed it resembled the body of a topless hula dancer"

[ Edited by: hewey on 2005-05-14 19:27 ]

B

Thanks, Hewey. Did you see the solo show pics I posted? I had a shelf of boobs in my art show and the Chancellor of the college made a crack about it. It sort of became something I'm known for. The squid turns upside down but you can only drink out of the end that is smooth.

Thanks for looking. I'm about to rebuild my site to reflect my new work and make it more user-friendly. I've had a lot of advice on it, and I've been keeping a book of ideas.

Pages: 1 20 replies