Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

HawaiI Shave Ice Wacky Contraption !! by THOR

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

ALOHA!! sales have been boomin in Hawaii for this year on all newest paintings..but the series of Cocktail contraptions are really makin' a stir! Which is great, cus they are fun to paint!

Based on feedback by my collectors who said their kids also love my work but asked, could I do something in the series "non alcholic" I produced this painting called " The Any Flavor Life Saver Ice Shaver".

It's a wacky contraption built in an old red Life guard tower on Waikiki that was turned into a giant shave ice machine. Trained parrots run the thing, teeter tottering on a bamboo seasaw that cranks the gears that shake the dashboard hula dolls and turn the rotating Samoan knives..that shave the ice blocks into the upside down beach umbrella!!

I really pushed the color and character to appeal to kids especially...thus this one's a little more cartoony. It will be available in a few weeks through the Diamond head galleries in Hawaii, primarily in mini-prints and the original.

Thanks for the great feedback here in the past. Drop me a note!!! website for all the work is http://www.tomthordarson.com check out the "Gallery tour" Mahalo!! ~~THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-08 10:42 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-21 14:53 ]

R

i like it . I like the othes a little better. I cant paint at all . How long does it take you to create one of these?

Thanks for sharing.

T
THOR's posted on Sun, May 8, 2005 8:11 PM

the time it taks varies..from 3 days to a few week depends on the piece and detail this one has already sold 15 reserve prints...but through the Gallery in Hawaii

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 8, 2005 8:14 PM

Looks very cool. Should appeal to the youngins too.

I would suggest you get posters made. Folks may even buy them for the kids and inspire a new generation of tiki nerds!

T

Luv it...

K

3 days had me depressed...weeks sounds more realistic to me...at least for me to aspire to take on such a detailed tightly rendered work of art would take weeks...

awesome!

i don't think SOME of the folks here at TC get what you mean by NON-ALCOHOLIC...what do you mean man?

thanks for posting!

T

Thanks.. I will reserve a lot of my fedback till I geta feel for this crowd to be frank!! lol To quadruple claify why I post here.. I don't come here for "strokings"...I show this to get feedback and criticism. I am used to that sort of forum in both the way I was trained in school and my career. So..agin. sorry to keep" overexplaining" but for a few here I feel like I have to defend the truth of my actions.
Anyway...the print and posters idea I agree!! I am pushing to do that at this tme. I want a very affodable option to those..like me that just don't shell out thousands for art.no matter who it is.
Also, I have a kid and would happily pay up to a hundred for a nice framed poster of something like this...but no more. So..I am discussing this option with the guys I have agreed to publish my Polynesian stuff at tis time.
As a business note that I have been told and am sharing, I am told posters make "no profit". I wanted poters of my work almost a year ago and my publishers said it takes huge volume to really pay off. So,I backed off. Anyway..I see it as not the "profit" one would get with a poster line but the exposure to many other peope other than seriious art collectors. I am open to anyone elses experiences with this!

Another cool one, Thor!

I have cruised your work on the Diamond Head Gallery, many a time. I love the great lighting effects you have with the flames and thru the waves. Harmony of the Elements is my fav, though the humor you add to Cove of Wonders gets me smiling. We are heading to Maui soon, and I have already earmarked stopping by the gallery to check out your work in person.

Mahalo, and please keep em coming!

T

TWB! Thanks!!

Aloha!! I will be in Maui and Oahu also this summer for a few shows they are planning. I would love to see you if the timing is right. I paint alone for weeks at a time lately and love the tmes I meet people in person..even just to talk..buy work or not.
I also have bartered with other artist...trades for art or tiki's etc. and love that... Have a safe trip!! If I see you in Maui..the firt Mai Tai is on me!!
~~ THOR

O

Very cool work, I have zero talent especially when it comes to painting, where is the gallery located in Hawaii, I would love to stop by and see the art in person, and say Hi if you just happen to be there

T

Thanks "Ono" The galleries are all over Ouahu..some on the Big Island and two in Maui. Currently , you can find my work at any Diamond Head Gallery or Pictures Plus in Hawaii. The Largest collection of Giclee's and originals is at the Tabora/Diamond Head Gallery in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centery in Waikiki.

Looks like I might be there in Late June/early July..maybe again in August for Shows. Stop in there anyway, the people in all the galleries are really great.

Pages: 1 10 replies