Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Baffles me! Why not more responses to THOR art lately????

Pages: 1 2 93 replies

B

I know you got the pm I sent. But this needs to be said:

I'm going to throw you a bone, here. Take other's advice, and it is *very sage advice * coming from Benzart...**Lock this topic and let it drop. **

Trust me on this. Really. The sooner the better.

T

I will let the topic fade as it might. I recived a lot more support..including yours in private messages Beachin..so what are you saying now?? I am confused! You sent me a huge supportive note offline and now pair up with another's opinion?? or am I misunderstanding? Who's asking for a bone?

thinking out loud here,"when do you find time to paint?"

On 2005-05-12 09:10, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

On 2005-05-11 15:22, Monkeyman wrote:

Finally!!! Someone on TC who overexplains themself more than ME.

What do you mean?

-Z

:)

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-05-12 09:10 ]

Now that's my kind of humor!

T

Actually..... It speeds me up!! Hell.. told ya lately I've been painting with a cat at the foot of the aisel and the radio on...computer to my side!
Had this thread not given my fingers the stretching on the keypad I have had defending myself....I would be milking this latest painting!! =)

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-12 16:02 ]

T

Wait A minute.. I said lock this thread and be done with it awhile back.... Ok everyone wants to argue... Who was hotter mary Ann or Ginger... Now thats worth arguing about...

T

Admitting my ignorance to this site and how it works here.. how do I "lock" a thread even if I wanted to??

Mary Ann

MARY ANN

Ginger all the way! That gold dress, those lips, those eyes...

T

See it was Ginger for me, yo know she had skills..... Oh wait a minute for the older guys here there was Mrs. Howell.. she was rich

"Those above are going down, those below are going up" by unknown
"Do not be afraid, GO DEEP" by A-A
"Life is like this: sometimes sun, sometimes rain." by unknown

[ Edited by: Thanatos on 2005-05-13 07:14 ]

D

As far as fashion goes Mrs. Howell had it all over the other girls. Who knew full arm length gloves go with everything? And she always had a pretty, jeye-normous flower in her hair or totally bitchen hat. Yes I said totally bitchen! I had heard Mrs. Howell was the oldest person in the cast, she was 64 when the first episode aired. Mrs. Howell was the bee knees!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-13 07:58 ]

B

I'll Agree about Mrs Howell Absolutely THE BEST in the Nest, Uummmm.

T

FINALY!!!!! There is a lighter side to this thread than wining!!! I will in deed keep this one open!! This is inspiration!

Ben-

I agree with you there - Mrs. Howell is quite a lady.
However, let's look at Three's Company now: Janet or Chrissy? I like Janet - she has that Mary Ann quality to her.

Since we added Mrs. Howell to the mix, maybe we should add Mrs. Roper to the options here.... :)

B

OK Sam, I'll agree about Janet, she would really "Bust" things open. Just what we need around here.

I'm sick of seeing this thread...Anyone care to join me in discussing this here?: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14596&forum=13&0

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-05-13 09:30 ]

T

GUYS! NOT to interupt the fun and mindless trivia.but I need LOTS more replies to look good on the replies column in this forum!

Soo..in other words speed this up Amigo's!! You are a slackin!!! I am pushin o 1000 replies by the weekend!!!

PURPLE JADE!! NOOOO You are stealing my glory!!!!

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-13 09:31 ]

I'm begining to regret saying anything nice to you. I liked you a lot more before you opened your mouth. I will no longer contribute to this thread or your ego.

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-05-13 09:34 ]

TG

I voted (or u-moderated in other words) to move this thread to "bilge" personally.

i am with TikiG

T

Look I will gladly end this thread. I am bored with it as well.. but to see the sarcasm of the last few mindless banters didn't work guys
I returned the sarcasm..had funwith it and so you can't handle it?? I was serious about my discssion and you attempted to mock me...so I jut played along..and you get pissed??? Let the coments go..most of you have made your stand..in bth directions Let it go..

Saving the best for last (yeah, right!). Maybe this will get it moved to bilge:

TG

Yep, that ought to work.....

T

My God. you proved my point perfectly T bot...classy and articulate!! I rest my case!! You never answered my question as to how to end this thread !! I voted it locked yesterday!! Let it go..or vote!! Unless you love this game!

Ya know..anyone choosing to understand the start of my post..after I explained the context has sent very positive support. There is this small circle of vocal "naysayers" as one of you described to me in a private message that seems to feed on this drama. The fact is..you misread my intent. Had you heard me in person..you would not have interpreted any of this BS.

Lighten up ad stop wining. Be competive in a fun way!! I came in here ready to be inspired and challenged..let that be your constructive comments and not a group of winers supporting a feeding frenzy.

I am a positve, warm and supportive person. I don't need to prove it...it will be comprhended by anyone wanting to see it. Some of you need to learn the real meaning of "Aloha" and not just be fascinated by its image.
~THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-13 10:29 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-13 11:10 ]

[ Edited by: on 2005-05-13 11:29 ]

Here's my 2 cents...
Take a look at Thor's work. It is, imho, amazing. One of my favorite artists whose works are found throughout my home is James Coleman. I enjoy his work because it's what I want to have in my dreams at night. Then about 1 year ago, I discovered Tom Thordarson's work. Not only do I like Tom's work more, but it has a certain amount of Tiki mystery that can't be found in James Coleman's work and a fun amount of levity thrown in as well. I know Tom personally and he is far removed from wanting to spam TC but is really looking to get feedback on his art, be it good (my feeling), bad or indifferent. This can on occassion be a "tough crowd" but with so much Tiki acumen present here, it is a big pill to swallow if you don't know what you're getting yourself into. I dig his work the most, to say the least.
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2005-05-13 11:17 ]

B

I agree his work is really Fantastic and it is Way above average. I have nothing at all against his work. This thread is Not about his Work, but is more of his trying to get TC'rs to critique his work weather thay want to or Not. he claims to understand now but like I said earlier IF he AHAad read a few threads and posts he would Know what TC was about. he can take that for what ever he wants to but he is only going to get responses to his art when people want to give it. JUST because he Posts something doesn't mean anyone HAS to respond to it.

T

Benz though this is endless.. a good reason this thread continued as long as it did was becaue I explined a lot of that earlier and everyone was not convinced I was the monstera few of you enjoy creating. I came to try to understand how I might contribute to this site..and was producing almost all the art you have seen here just the past year to 9 mos.
I was not "particiating" more because I was building a purpose..a quantity of work. My intent was to then..after feeling like I had a strong set of work to share here like many of you do..could fit in far better.
I saw art here and was tryin to get to a point where I had a signiture of my own. Don't think because I was doing this and asking feedback from a tiki mainstream here who were far ahead of me in focusing on this theme that that means I am "selfish". You use that to cast a stone at my intent and you are off base!!
The last post was about more than my work..it was about my persna. Get over it!! Let's agree there was misunderstaning on ALL parts and move on and try to make art!!

B

You are the only person here who has made you out to be a Monster. You can say you understand all you want, but if you want to fit in here you just Participate. Thats All. You want anyone to understand you? Participate. Share. Join in some threads that are about Others art work or about others ideas, or likes, or needs. Answer a question on someon elses post. Thats all. You cannot Tell us you fit in, or that you understand how we work now. We don't demand anything from anyone. There are many members here that have NO Art at all and are not artists and they are part of the family. Infact the artists here are the minority. You don't have to be an artist or have a warehouse full of art to fit in. All you have to do is JOIN IN. Don't make excuses. Don't defend yourself, you're not on trial. The more you try to defend yourself the more it looks like you are up to something and I don't think that is the case.
Don't worry about getting feedback on your art. If thats all you are looking for you are at the wrong place. Post your art to SHARE it with us, to show us something we may like, with no strings. You will get feedback.
The longer this post goes the harder it will be for you to become part of the "family".
You cannot lock this post only moderators can do that and until it gets ugly, or distasteful, they will not lock it. Locking it will not change the way you fit in. Why not just come on in, relax awhile. Read and answer a few posts and mingle with everyone. Get to know people. We are her to love and be loved, help and be helped. Don't say anymore, just come on in!

You Can Edit a Locked thread!

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-12-23 13:50 ]

On 2005-05-13 13:14, Benzart wrote:
The longer this post goes the harder it will be for you to become part of the "family".

I dunno Benz, seems to me that one is not part of the TC ohana until they've been involved in a thread like this. :wink:

All in good fun. I think everyone gets the point ... welcome (back) to TC, Thor!

~Hanford

seems to me it's like a right of passage here to get SPANKED just a thought ,i could be wrong TD

T

Hanford and Tikki D!! I think you hit the nail on he head!! I envisioned this scene..I come in this lounge called tiki central.. I Say..HEY ya all..I think I am doin' real good out there with this Tiki stuff..I hear you guys live and breath this so I come to you..and I want your opinion and want to be part of this!!
Then..in a "fun way" this group comes up..pulls my pants down to my ankles and paddes me good (with a very well carved tiki paddle I might add at least) till my ass gleaams like a lava flow in August!
Well..I still am hurtn' and confused..a bit pissed..and ya, think there is a far better way to initiate a newby..like force feed me rum and fruitjuice... But, what do I do now?? Say, "Thank you ..can I have another??? Haaaaa Ok..I will if that's the gig..there are enough here I really enjoy interacting with to make it worth the sting. Butt, just wait till I get that padle in hand!!!
Also, ..how do I make smiley faces so people know when I am serious or not like you guys..as a side note!!
"standng" by(with a sore pair of buns,
~~ THOR
p.s Hanford..did you let this thread go on cus you enjoyed seeing me squirm for mercy??? (insert YELLOW smiley face here)

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-13 15:45 ]

For the "Whose post will Thor's post on (but not his) pool" I am putting $5 on Beachin's on Monday the 16th at 8am pst.
:)

T

no comment on that one....except Raffertiki..you are waaaaaaaay late on the action... it's done! go make art!!!

so who won?

and notice I left a :)

T

i mean the YELLOW ONES!!!!

nevermind

[ Edited by: McDougall on 2005-05-13 18:15 ]

I usually avoid threads like this, although I think they are hilarious. Once they get started there is generally no winning - back and forth, etc.. But this one seems to be ending on an up note and I'm so glad. Thor it looks like you are learning a lot about Tiki Central in this post, and I can tell you it is a great place to share information.

I would love to see you start a new post really about some specific techniques - if you'd care to share - your work is so terrific I'd love to hear about say, how you start a painting and what steps you take to build it up; like do you start with the sky and then paint in the landscape on top of it? Or does it vary from painting to painting? This kind of stuff is interesting (at least to me) and we can all learn a little from each other on posts like that.

I think I was the one that introduced Thor to Tiki Central a while back. I have known him for some years and as another artist I've always really admired his work. Thor in person is one of the nicest, mild mannered and - dare I say charming - guys you’d ever want to meet and I'm thrilled that he is doing so well now. I hope this is the beginning of a long and great INDEPENDANT career for him. Like me, he slaved away for the entertainment industry for years, knocking himself out trying just to please the knucklehead managers, only to be laid off at their whim.

To see one of our own artistic creative people make a good living off their art is really an inspiring thing. We deserve it you know - I think artists are tremendously undervalued in this country - especially when you look at what people charge for other kinds of work. We work just as hard don’t we? I know a plumber who drives a Jaguar. Aren’t we just as valuable to society? I think every one of us tiki artists ought to double our prices right now!

Oh my I’m really going off on a tangent, sorry.

My best to Thor and continued success.

T

Thanks Paul!! I look forward to some old fashioned tik trades soon!! Have a cold one on me!

~~THOR

Threads like this are like the thinking man's Jerry Springer. Sometimes I'm ashamed to read them, and yet I cannot look away.

THOR,

I'd like to see your visual interpretation of this entire arguement/conversation.

That's my idea for you next painting.

I'm completely serious.

Tiki-Kate :)

T

PlEASE don't get me in the tiki kettle again Kate!!! SHEESH!! I am still icing my gluteus from a few days ago!!!

I do have a fun idea though!! A draw duel!!! We did this at Disney a few times and the floor was wet from people peeing their pants with laughter!! We forgot totally about grudges!! Garantees that everyone has a chance to duel (totally in fun) with the sword of th mighty pencil!!

Heres how it works! Everyone draws a scene ..or just a person they are thnk they are pissed with or had a debate with or whatever. This is designed to disarm any of this ego crap on all sides and be kids that play well together in the same sandbox.

This really applies GREAT here cus we have no idea what the other person look like.or at least I don't. It's a good lesson in how we create this character we react to based on farbication at times..and I would LOVE to be roasted and roast others this way!! I can take it!! Ya gotta be a VERY GOOD sport though!!! This is all in fun!!!

Now, am I taking a baseball bat to a hornets nest here or is this something TC'ers can let go with? This is not necessarily about this thread or me...so PLEASE don't accuse me of "trolling" for more attention. start a whole new Topic for this. It can be about any other TC'er you want to envision or characterize in a sketch..then scan it of photograph it..all levels of drawing..I have seen the funniest ones done by people where I worked gone by secretaries that NEVER drew!!

OK..YOU started this Tiki-Kate!..so if it causes a frenzy in any ones threads YOU take the Padde this time!!! (that smile thing right about here}

P.S I am sick of this threadlike everyone else.so again..start aother if we do this game...

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2005-05-14 11:06 ]
H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:17 PM

I envisage a group of cannibal monkeys dancing around a big cauldron with bannanas and a thor monkey in it! A bit darker than your Disney work, I'm guessing.

T

You are AMAZINGLY close Hewey to my sketch!!! U saw the other thread I think!! HAaaa U have a "good sense" of artistic shenanigans!!!

Greetings again!!! ~~ THOR

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:30 PM

Yeah, I saw the other one. I actually saw this first, but didnt respond. That was the image that popped into my head when i read the suggestion to puth this thread onto paper. Honest! :)

T

I believe ya! I just was hoping the other artist would join me in raising the swords of their brushes and pencils!! It beats our mouths ( or fingers) anytime!! Anyway..hope I gave ya good feedback on your post Hewey..I look forward to your tiki stuff too!!!

TG

Finally, another fine example of TC "Hazing" come's to an end!!! Been there, done that already personally.....Waaay behind me now, like a couple of years now. Anyway, it get's better Thor, just have fun.

Nice job everyone. I think he get's it:)

I like your art Thor. I use it for my computer desk top. Hope you do not mind....

Tiki G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-05-16 08:46 ]

Pages: 1 2 93 replies