Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New GlassTikis, Girl Tiki n swizzle **UpdateJune 30**pg5

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

J
john posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 11:08 AM

Hello,
Here are the flyers for my "Island Series". I design and create glass tiki wall/table sculptures, candle shields, panels, and jewelry.
-John Modzelewski

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-22 03:28 ]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-25 20:18 ]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-30 01:13 ]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-30 18:30 ]

Very cool stuff, Website looks great.

Welcome to TC , stick around and share lots.

J
john posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 1:07 PM

thank you very much for the welcome! I really appreciate the compliments.
-john

T

Looks great. How big ar they?

J
john posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 10:32 PM

thanks,
the two connected tikis are 2"x8", those are samples of wall hangings that can be from 1 tiki (4") up to 10 tikis (40"). the necklaces range from .75"x.75" all the way to 1.25"x2.5". the other tikis are about 3x5 to 4"x6". the palm tree/tiki is 8x8. i specialize in custom, i can do them in about any color and any size to around 32x42(the size of my kiln)
-john
p.s. as of 2:45am the monochromatic tiki's went in the kiln. They should be cooled, photographed and ready to post by late tuesday/early wednesday.

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-10 03:24 ]

Very cool!

Very nice - and I like your color combinations.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-05-10 14:03 ]

B

Lookin good John. Is the glass hard to work with? I'm just not familiar with the process it takes to create those in glass. Very nice stylized tikis

Great stuff, john!

I have been crafting stained glass panels for quite a few years now. I have watched some crafters work with fused glass, and can really appreciate what you must go thru on such small pieces, and admire your craftmanship and artistry.

I have been trying to come up with some window panel designs for tiki's but haven't completed any as of yet. You are inspiring me to get back at it and keep trying. The crafting of piece seems to be easier than actually creating the design since I am more geometric oriented (Frank Lloyd Wright inspired) than objects and landscapes.

Keep up the great work!!

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 7:13 PM

They look pretty funky. I love seeing all the different ways people make tiki art.

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 7:14 PM

They look pretty funky. I love seeing all the different ways people make tiki art.

J
john posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 7:22 PM

thank you very much,
i know what you're going through, i started out very geometric-minded, but my cartoon drawing and painting helped me break that mindset. crafting the pieces, especially the small pieces, can get fustrating but i'm doing what i love so it's worth it.
-john

the monochromatic pieces came out awesome, i should hopefully have some pictures up soon.

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-11 04:10 ]

M

They look pretty funky. I love seeing all the different ways people make tiki art. :wink:

Seriously, they look good John. Are you going to be doing fused glass Tiki's in a larger scale?

J
john posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 11:23 AM

larger tikis are definetly on the way. with my kiln, i have the ability to make them as large as 32"x42". the next addition to the island series is a really innovative wall hanging - details will be kept top secret until the unveiling sometime next week :wink:
-john

J
john posted on Thu, May 12, 2005 12:37 PM

Hello everyone,
here are the newest tikis, just out of the kiln. hope you enjoy!
-john

[ Edited by: john on 2005-07-04 15:48 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:16 AM

Those are great!

J
john posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 11:53 AM

thank you very much
-john

J
john posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 1:58 PM

here is the latest full color tiki, the colors will be deeper and richer once it has been fired.

here are the lastest monochromatics

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-14 13:59 ]

B

These new ones are looking good too. Do you have some type of glue to hold all the tiny pieces together until it is fired Or do you just hope they don't move? How difficult is it to get the pieces to match, like same sized eyes and ears and features like that. Cool stuff, I Likee

That second to the last one would be bad ass as a pendant!

J
john posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 3:10 PM

thanks,
i use a special glue that dosen't leave residue when it burns off. as far as getting the pieces to match the smaller the piece the greater the difficulty. the glass will only cut so small before there are problems. the smallest necklaces are the most difficult out of anything, each piece is 3/16" or smaller and has to be placed with tweezers.
-john

J
john posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 4:09 AM

On 2005-05-14 15:07, Atomicchick wrote:
That second to the last one would be bad ass as a pendant!

lemme know, it can be done :)

J
john posted on Mon, May 16, 2005 8:15 PM

new tikis!
and yes, the second one from the left does have a skull necklace!

new island series pendants

hope you all like!
-john

I love the surfboards
What might one of those cost as a pendant?

Thanks for sharing.

J
john posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 12:05 PM

rodeotiki, thanks for your interest, i sent you an email.

For prices and availability please feel free to contact me. either by personal message or email [email protected]

J
john posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 11:49 PM

Hi everyone,
The pictures aren't the greatest. I just couldn't wait to share my newest creation. It is titled
"See No, Hear No, Speak No...Tiki"
It is a wall hanging with the main suooprt being bamboo. The tikis measure 4"x6". As soon as I finish the detail work and get some better pics I will post them.
-John :tiki:

K

looks like thes guys are ready for summer. I like the addition of the bamboo hanger thing.
? How good does light reflect threw them?...kirby

J
john posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 11:58 PM

a candle dosen't illuminate these like the other tikis. with a 40w bulb though, they look awesome. the colors really come alive
i didn't want these to be that transparent as they were designed to be a wall hanging
-thanks, john

B

Cool ones John. I love the last guy peeking through his fingers. Yes the Bamboo hangar is Killer too.

J
john posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 12:55 PM

thanks for the compliments,
i had to have at least one of the three being a little sneaky.
-john

S

Those are really great and unique! I'm a little curious about the process too. Special types of glass? Kiln time, temp. etc? Stuff like that. Have you other non-tiki work to show?

S

(sorry, hit the button twice.)

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2005-05-23 19:11 ]

J
john posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 8:32 PM

On 2005-05-23 19:07, spy-tiki wrote:
Those are really great and unique! I'm a little curious about the process too. Special types of glass? Kiln time, temp. etc? Stuff like that. Have you other non-tiki work to show?

thanks,
as far as creation goes.. i use glass that is formulated to heat and cool at the same rate to eliminate cracks from thermal shock. each color and design element is a separate piece of glass that has been cut, ground and meticulously placed. the pieces, depending on the level of relief of the design elements, are heated to temperatures between 1350-1500 degrees for anywhere between 14-19 hours. although the tikis are my personal favorite to create, i also have non-tiki pieces.

and

within the next few days, my website will have every piece to date. in the meantime here are some of my flyers for the other series.
-john

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-23 20:36 ]

Hey John- These are cool and unique too. Looking fine!

http://www.samgambino.com

J
john posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 4:01 PM

Thanks Sam,
I really appreciate the compliments!
There are 2 new tiki creations scheduled to be fired tonight, as soon as they are done i will post pics
-john
the website is up and running at 98%.
lemme know what you think

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-26 03:28 ]

J
john posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 3:25 AM

hi everyone,
this feller just came out of the kiln today. again the picture isn't the greatest, i will post good pics as soon as i get them. anyways here he is..

"Reverse Tikiology"

lemme know what you think
-john :tiki:

B

He looks a little Backwards, oh yeah thet was the idea. Neat I love it. I think I like the Dark side)left) better.

Hey that's very cool!

You've got some nice Positive-Negative Interchange action happening there.

Kinda looks like he got caught halfway between here and bizarro world

-Tw

J
john posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 12:41 PM

thanks everybody! when i made it i was thinking along the lines of "spy vs spy".

being that i'm not good with surprises tomight is the unveiling my fez sportin tiki. though, i havent came up with a good name for it yet.

I really liked the rally striped pieces, they're like minimalist art, but with meaning!

I've just had a brainstorm: what about fused glass playing cards? A deck would be less than useless, but fused glass renditions of the face cards & aces, or famous hands ("Dead Man's Hand," Royal Straight FLush, etc.) might sell.

J
john posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 1:49 PM

On 2005-05-26 13:17, freddiefreelance wrote:
I really liked the rally striped pieces, they're like minimalist art, but with meaning!

I've just had a brainstorm: what about fused glass playing cards? A deck would be less than useless, but fused glass renditions of the face cards & aces, or famous hands ("Dead Man's Hand," Royal Straight FLush, etc.) might sell.

thanks for the compliments,
that is so weird, my sister mentioned something similar last night.. i have 4 glass coasters in the kiln right now, one with each suit. Thats an awesome idea, thank you, the actual cards would so take it to the next level.
could i consider you a customer... hint hint

crappy camera phone pic

[ Edited by: john on 2005-05-26 19:05 ]

J
john posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 7:09 PM

Here is the new feller, alls he needs is a name and a good home
-john

John, your work is so unique to the other stuff that's posted here. It's just the coolest!

A-A

J
john posted on Fri, May 27, 2005 1:44 PM

thanks for the compliments, it means a lot
-john

J
john posted on Fri, May 27, 2005 6:30 PM

tiki.. party of 13, your table is ready

These are for a customer's daughter's tiki themed party. i thought they looked all cool in formation. oh and i know my camera phone sucks.
-john

J
john posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2005 4:11 AM

New Tiki!

-john

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-08 03:33 ]

J
john posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2005 3:45 AM

Green Tiki Pendant

Purple Tiki Pendant

There is a black/white reverse tiki pendant due to be done tomorrow and 2 curved candle shields each with 3 tikis due to be done friday...stay tuned :)
not tiki but i wanteD to share

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-08 04:21 ]

[ Edited by: john on 2005-06-08 04:22 ]

J
john posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2005 3:43 AM

here is my surfer tiki tile, around 3 x 3 1/2

Pages: 1 2 81 replies