Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Oasis From The Artists’ Perspective (Thanx For The Pix!)

Pages: 1 9 replies

Oasis was a blur…. but a good one! It was so good to finally put the faces with the usernames, talk about art and tiki, and just have a good time drinking, carrying on, and sharing the aloha spirit.

I met so many Tiki Centralites, but wanted to share some artists faces and stories with the rest of you here in the creating forum.

Chongolio hooked up with us at Doc Z’s party. So glad to meet you Randy, and see your vivid tiki paintings up close.

Here’s Chongolio's booth. That’s Seamus’s wife Jonna (sp?) on the left, my wife Nina, Drunken Hat & Tikicleen (super nice peeps), and Chongolio framed up on the right.

Benzart was there in spirit – I spotted his incredible pendants on Utopian Dream, Spermy, and Jungle Trader. I’m sure there were many others that I missed. They are all the more impressive when you get to see them up close and handle them a bit. They were all pretty chunky and the detailing was superb. And Ben will be happy to know that one of his Tropican Tikis made it into Sven’s poolside tiki slide show. As Bigbrotiki put it “We all love Benzart” or something like that – I was somewhat impaired by rum at that point in the evening.

It was great to meet Spermy and his lovely wahine Loara. I think Spermy will be showing something here in the creating forum sometime in the near future.

I was looking for Jungle Trader all weekend and finally met up the last day. Vic, next year we’ll chat over mai-tais – I’m already looking forward to it.

Monkeyman brought his finely tailored ottomans, really top notch stuff.

Seamus was just as nice in person as I expected. I picked up a couple of his pieces for the backyard. Here’s the concrete master (right) and myself (left) at the vendor area on the last day right before we headed out.

Polypop had some really nice wall hangings and T-shirts on display. A high point was when he showed me BK’s infamous Maori relief carving, which had been acquired by Humuhumu and was on display in her room during the infamous crawl. The panel was larger and thicker than I had thought. Just amazing to touch and feel the detail on this carving after only seeing it online here at TC.

I ran into Tiki Diablo, TikiTony, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, Tiki Ray, Zach Zachary, Holden and many others. Missed a few people that I was hoping to see – Beachin’, Cheeky Tiki, Purple Jade, and some others. Maybe next year…

I’m sure I missed a few here, so forgive me. Like I said – Oasis was a blur!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really didn’t do a great job with the camera – most of my pix didn’t come out too good. Feel free to post pix or the artists if you have them.

**Cheers!

A-A**

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-05-12 14:42 ]

B

Thanks Aaron, Sounds like a total blast. Nice narrative and excellent pix. Thanks for taking time to share for us who were unable to be there.

R

Same for me. It sucks not being able to be there but your pics are the next best thing.
Mahalo for sharing.

T

tHANKS FOR THE PICS....

Yah, well we missed all of you too. I was really too busy to take many pictures. BUT, I know of a few of our fellow TC artists who did... (hint, hint) :)

Bamboo Ben and Tiki Tony hangin' loose at TT's booth.

Can you believe it...no pics ot Jungle Trader and I was sittin' nest to da buggah all weekend.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

B

Nice pics, AA. I didn't get to meet everybody, either. It felt like a big blind date all weekend, and I got a little tired towards the end of the day. Lost my nerve after a while and quit introducing myself to peeps.

I'm sorry we missed each other.

There's lots of vendor pics cuz I honestly don't know much except all of you that hang in Creating Tiki.

I still don't know the rules about cross-posting, so I'll just post 'em.

Beachin (me)

Monkeyman and Eel

TikiTony

TikiLee

Bosko

I didn't catch the TC name for the font guys and that's Holden on the right

Frank from TikiFarm and I don't know the other guy (?)

Seamus

Beachin and Bosko

Suburban Pagan

Big Bro Tiki and Beachin

MunTiki

Nick (I don't know his TC name)

Johnnie Velour

Unwinding after a looooong day with Trader Pup

Ask and you shall receive! Mahalo for posting - now everybody here can see what their "Creating" Forum friends look like.

One last picture from me. Well, actually I swiped it from Chongolio's Shutterfly folder.

Here's Nina & I in the Pirate Zone.

And what are we saying?

"ALOOOOOOOOOO-HAAAAAAAA!!!"

**Cheers!

A-A**

T

Wow ... I got to go next year.... Thanks for the Pics

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 13, 2005 7:10 AM

I was going to post a pic of me sobbing into my rum, but then I realised I have no-one to take the photo...

Looks like a good time for all! Thanks for postin your pics (amd rubbin it in!)

Pages: 1 9 replies