Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis V memories

Pages: 1 42 replies

H

It's amazing to me the way that each major tiki event I attend is a more heartwarming and truly fantastic experience than the last. I've wondered how it can be so, but the Tiki Central 'ohana simply is continuing to grow both closer and larger as time goes by. I feel deeply honored and fortunate to be part of it. This was a very special weekend to me -- all of the tiki events are etched cleanly in my memory (okay, so some of the parts are fuzzy), but this Tiki Oasis was really a different experience for me in several wonderful ways.

I'd like to give a very special thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for their years of dedication to spreading the love for Polynesian Pop. Think of the last time you were in charge of coordinating a handful of people for a simple dinner or get-together, or the dread you felt when the check and pile of bills and credit cards somehow made its way in front of you, leaving you to figure out the tally -- now imagine doing that on the scale of several hundred people over several days, with entertainers, vendors, and scads and scads of alcohol. Yikes. Otto and Baby Doe, being busy folks with jobs & family like most of us have to deal with, commit massive chunks of time out of every year to make this happen for us. Frankly, it's amazing. I couldn't do it. And I thank my lucky stars that we Otto & Baby Doe can. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Room Crawl was a fabulous idea, and it worked really well. I love that anyone who wanted it had the opportunity to shine in the host spotlight for a little bit, and that there were ample opportunities to come together and meet more TCers. The drinks were fantastic all around. I was disappointed to miss some of the room parties (Friday in particular was dedicated to sleeping for me). I'd also like to thank everyone who came out to participate the Aloha Wear Release to the Wild, especially Al & Shelley and Martin & Rebecca, who donated some of their own items into the collection. I can't tell you how it thrills me to see the look on someone's face when a lovely vintage item fits juuuuust right. It's always a kick for me to see the dresses out in the wild on a lovely wahine, where they belong.

On Thursday night, I was presented with the most humbling and astounding gift -- Floratina had commissioned Crazy Al to create a special tiki necklace for me, which he carved out of mahogany. He was selling replicas of the original at Oasis and calling them "The Humuhumu." I was gobsmacked. Deeply, deeply touched. It's gorgeous and I love it, thank you so very, very much!

Room 135 was, as ever, a fantastic cavalcade of socializing and music. Al & Shelley were wonderful hosts as ever, and also opened their suite up for others to host out of at several points through the weekend. It is incredibly generous of Al & Shelley to let 135 be a home base of sorts. 135 lives on!

I'd like to thank all of the attendees to the scheduled Friday night party AND the unscheduled Saturday night party in Room 230. We LOVED being able to play host, and we especially love that everyone played nice and nothing got broken or lifted. Well, Lane lifted me now that I think about it, but he did put me back.

I've spoken with mig, and he's quite bummed he didn't make it, and was also bummed to hear that the bear was a no-show. Frankly, I think it's all a bit fishy and coincidental -- I have a feeling we might see a few wee gorilla-ish bears and bear-ish gorillas at next year's Oasis.

By far, the biggest treat for me this weekend was being able to share it all with someone very special to me, someone I love very much. For many people this weekend, this was their first time meeting Hanford Lemoore. Hanford is an amazing man; I adore him, and I felt incredibly happy to be by his side through the weekend at his first Tiki Oasis. I know it meant a lot to Hanford to get to see the Tiki Central community in action in a very new way. Thank you also to those who had our backs when things took a brief turn for the creepy on Saturday night.

Mahalo nui loa to everyone for being such a big and thoroughly positive part of my life.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-05-09 15:50 ]

The greates part of Tiki Oasis is the memories created during the event. I have many great memories of this event, but I think the greatest was spending a good part of the day with my young niece and nephew, showing them tiki's and helping them learn to swim in the pool. Their smiles and shrieks of laughter were priceless. I think this event created a memory of a lifetime for them. thanks everyone...

One thing that I'll alway remember was the TIKI Tour that King Kukulele gave to the Kids on Sunday morning. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. He got all the Tiki's at the tropic's to talk to the Kids. The tiki's would answer any questions that the kids had. The biggest question for every Tiki was:
What do you eat for Breakfast?
What do you eat for Lunch?
What do you eat for Dinner?
What do you eat for dessert?
For some reason I thought it was Hilarious. The king is amazing with kids and I thought it was pretty darn cute.

This was my first Oasis, and I had such a GREAT time! It was everything I hoped for and then some. It was supposed to be a second honeymoon, but it had to become a family vacation at the last minute, and it became the best family vacation yet. I'm already looking forward to Tiki Oasis VI!

WooHoo! What an Experience!!! This was my 1st Tiki Oasis and it was Absolutely Incredible. A Special Mahalo to Otto, Dr.Z, Bamboo Ben & Family, The Tiki Farm Crew, and everyone else from Tiki Central who went out of their way to make everyone feel so welcomed. Soccer Tiki and I can't wait for the next event. Please let us know if there is every anything we can do to help out for future Tiki Central Events :)

B

As a first-timer, I also must post that it was a wonderful memorable experience that I truly wish to repeat.

Next time I stay for more than one day, though. Slept through all of the parties, as the flying was exhausting, but the day was great.

Great to meet you all in person, too.

B

Here! Here! Hats off to a wonderful event that ran smoothly from my perspective. I only wish I had more time to share with you all, but promise to devote more next year.

Vending was an amazing experience, but more than that. Meeting everyone was the biggest excitement for me.

I didn't bring my children but was incredibly impressed with all of the children's activities that took place throughout the weekend. I was also impressed that families co-mingled so well with partiers, sharing that "we're here for a good time" feel that everyone could enjoy.

Hats off to Otto, Baby Doe, and all of the Tiki Farm Folks that did such a wonderful job. I was especially impressed with how well you handled the "Caliente sold" scare and bullying that took place mere weeks before the event and behind-the-scenes meetings and communication that promised a quality event for all involved. Hats off to all of you vendors and entertainers who truly represented the aloha spirit to a newcomer. Hats off to all of the shoppers because you made it so fulfilling.

Very well done! Stands and applauds

I don't know where to comment on this but I just didn't think the Caliente Tropics is a big enough venue for the size of the event it is hosting.
As for hospitality, I thought I was treated reasonably well from management. Although after vending at the end of the day Saturday I was forced to hand my merchandise over the fence because they refused to unlock the gate, I understand the managements reasons for this. It was very nice of Oscar, (the owner of the Tropics), to help me load my tikis back into my truck Sunday afternoon.
I loved King Kukulele's reference to "double patch entertainment", a subtle hint to parents of small children of the impending approach of adult entertainment.
Once again it's always good to meet TCer's that I hadn't met before. I wish I could have met more of you but maybe next event.
Thanks to all those who bought my mugs, and shirts, and Rick for the tiki. There were a few items I just had to possess...Bosko's HUGE Moai pitcher with the jungle glaze for one. Heather's art really provokes me. The burlesque dancer's provoked me too, butt it's all good. Thanks braddah Chongolio for sharing a booth with me. Mahalo Rick and Monica for the drinks and food, Unga Bunga for the drinks, Unga Bunga for more drinks, in true aloha spirit. You are all ohana. It all passed by too quickly.

On my rare visits out of my room, I had a lovely time! I feel like I missed a LOT but, I actually had some really nice conversations with lots of people, who happened to be awake and aware at 8 am! (Big Al, Poly-Pop, all the people with kids who were awake!)
And I spent some quality time with Vander Vegas, and the lovely little Fiona Brown. (This is what happens when you bring Spongebob videos and play-doh to the Oasis with the intention of hanging out in your room!)

But really, despite my tiredness, aversion to heat, and lack of late nights and parties, I really felt like I saw a lot of old and new friends, and got to meet quite a few people from the board! AND I actually remember it! Mr. Pineapple-Bot partied for all 3 of us, and I did the sleeping for the Pineapples!

OK - Best Baby in Belly comment goes to the incredibly charming Bamboo Blake, 7 year old son of Ben and Mrs. Boo:
BB - there's a BABY in there?
mrs. P - yep!
BB - is it a boy or a girl?
mrs. P - it's a boy
BB - how do you know?
mrs. P - they take a picture at the dr. and they can tell...
BB - oh, because it didn't have long hair, you know it's a boy?
mrs. P - uhhhhh, Ben, I think you need to have a talk with this lad....

Anyway - The Bamboo Boys are incredibly charming, it was really nice to meet the kids! We hope our little fella grows up to be as adorable and cool as they are! (The fact that Bamboo Jack was wearing a Black Flag t-shirt poolside on Sunday sealed the deal!)
I'm kind of bummed I didn't get to say goodbye to anyone, I was holed up in my room making fish out of play-doh, and watching Nemo, but I had a really great time, and thanks again Utopian Dream, for my pineapple charm bracelet, and Martin and Rebecca for my pineapple sunglasses, I really dazzled them at the truck stops on 5 today :)
xoxox
mrs & baby Pineapple...

T

I'm too tired to post all of my thoughts right now, so I'll just say Mrs. Pineapple and I had a fabulous time. Thanks to everyone for making our anniversary weekend so special and fun (again!). It was great to see our friends again and meet a lot of new TC ohana. Extra special thanks to Otto and Doe for putting together another amazing Oasis. To paraphrase the great Hanford Lemoore: We love you, man!

I formally apologise to Dr Z for ever doubting or nay-saying your room crawl idea - it was simply smashing! All the room hosts were faboulous, as were the drinks. Big thanks to all who hosted!

Humuhumu, here's a little somethin' just for you:

G

Well. Mrs. Ghid and I were 1st time attendees and we had a most amazing time. (Besides the fact that we love to get a way to enjoy Palm Springs a few times a year). This was brilliant!

We've never seen Ape (bought my APE mug. APE CD etc.), King Kukulele or Fisherman before - so we were floored. And we were lucky enough to be on the grass at stage center - both Friday & Saturday night. Crazy Al is awesome and You People are amazing! And the shows - all risque, yet NOT over the top....perfectly capturing the gentle vibe and the groove - It was so nice seeing the tribute to Disneyland's The Enchanted Tiki Room (I coordinate Disney's DVD audio division and my wife and I have been annual passholders at the park for the last 6 years) and Sven's slides - I guess our only regret was endine up at the Vagabond instead of the Caliente (though the staff was nice and the pool was mostly . . . . mine).

Otherwise, the whole thing was so perfect, it was everything I thought it might & could be - and next year we will BUY EARLY and be amongst the "In Crowd"

There WILL be a next year won't there?

Thanks again. It was a BLAST! ! !

-Ghid
Marina del Rey, CA

On 2005-05-09 21:57, Tiki-bot wrote:
Humuhumu, here's a little somethin' just for you:

WWJD?

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-05-10 01:30 ]

We are still glowing from the great time we had. Last year was our very first Tiki event. We were amazed and impressed by everything, but really didn't know anyone back then. This year was so much better because we got to hang out with so many friends, and also to meet new people whose names we recognize from TikiCentral. The room crawl was great. The vendors were great. The architecture tour was fun. The entertainment was fabulous. And can you believe that stage? Fantastic! We had some misgivings before the event, especially because of the management change, and because of concerns about over-crowding. Except for a minor reservation snafu, everything worked out quite well. We can't wait til next year...I definitely want to be a room host for the crawl. I think I'll make my reservation right now, just to make sure we get to stay at the Caliente!

WOOFLE BALL !!!

This too was my first year and I was amazed at the whole event.....had a grea time drinking wand chatting with many of you......and Dr. Z Sunrise was one hell of a time......took a day off to recover a bit more.....can't wait for the next event and of course next year.....Everyone who hosted many thanx for my buzz and Otto/Baby Doe your insane for doing this and we love you for it.......

On 2005-05-10 09:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
WOOFLE BALL !!!

Ben - you guys almost had me in premature labor! Between the attempted de-pantsing of Crazy Al at 2nd base, and your at-bat using the Ape Carver sign....

The whole weekend was so fun! It was really tough getting back to work this morning!

On 2005-05-10 10:57, mrs. pineapple wrote:
The whole weekend was so fun! It was really tough getting back to work this morning!

And how!! This was my first Tiki Oasis, and it ended entirely too early. So many things to do, so little time.....

My 3rd Oasis. Many Many familiar faces. Knowing folks makes it all so much more fun. Someone to hang out with no matter where you go.

I must say that TikiPugs Mojito was my favorite drink of the weekend (thanks). *PiPhiRho gets my vote for the Grog Contest.
*Playing the drums with the band mates of Ape and Fisherman in Futura Girls room was a definite high point.
*Hanging with Chongolio and Unga is always a good time.
*Ona Tiki and Moki are to be eternally thanked for feeding me more than once. The pork and macaroni salad was delicious.
*AlnShely are at the top of the list for providing me with a place to sleep.
*Laney is the best co-vendor you could ask for. She was kind enough to let me escape often from my vending duties.
*Crazy Al was a great mastermind for the stage.
*King Kukulele really made the weekend fun for the little ones that are often left out of the festivities.
*Congrats to Polypop for working so hard on his carved panels and shirts and for doing so well selling them.
*Floratina, "dahling" its always fun to be around you.
*Kick the Reverb, I must say that my first thought about the comb in the drink was "brilliant", my second thought was "brilliant" also.
*Traderpup, you always put on a great show and leave no detail untouched. The decor and ceremony for the Typhoon was terrific.
*I was thankful to finally meet a few TCers in person like The Sperm Whale, Tiki Matt, Dogbytes, and Inklouise. Putting a face with the name is a good thing.
*I thought the management of the Oasis was indeed trying hard to keep things smooth but in the end we all have grown accustomed to having a freind at the helm.

You cant ask for a better group of freinds who travel many many miles to be a part of something very unique and special. I hope the Oasis goes on forever but if it doesnt I will count myself fortunate to have been a part of something incredible.

Aloha, Mateys.
Well, can you believe I have been to each Tiki Oasis and watched it transform with increasingly bigger production and vastly greater participation, yet this is my first time on Tiki Central??
Must say that Otto and Baby Doe are extraordinary in shepherding such a good-spirited scene, and it isn't just the good spirits that are flowing into our tiki mugs (yum!), but it's the overall generosity and kindness that everyone shares. I enjoyed seeing all my old friends, getting to know acquaintances better, and chatting with new folks-like Tim, Eric, James, Lane, Bruce, the Damn Right Darlings, My only regret is that I was too sleepyheaded to hang through the progressive room parties, what self-respecting burlesque gal goes to sleep by 2AM?? Ginger Goldmine, that's who!
Hey there, any of you Photogs or Vidieogs that have documentation of my Pirate Act from Friday nite, I would LOVE a copy, and if I can post to my website, let me know.

Mahalo, Tiki Bretheren
Ginger Janet

PS If you are going to drink it, do it out of a tiki!!

K

After four failed tries (and four leaky rowboats) my wife and I finally made it to a Tiki Oasis, and we were glad we did! W had a blast, and hopefully we'll be able to make the excursion next year.

T

Wow, where to start. This was my 1st Oasis and I was literally blown away. Thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for their superhuman efforts. Thankyou Cherry for the modern architecture tour. It was awesome. Being from Illinois I don't get to experience this very often and I loved every minute. I'm sorry I didn't make the room crawls and meet some of you but my clock was a couple of hours ahead of the rest of you. It was nice to meet Holden of Tikifarm he's a supernice guy. Between all the bands, the vendors, the people and of course the mai tai's it was an incredible weekend. I'm looking forward to the next one. Mahalo

You know, this year was not as crowded as last year and I honestly liked it allot better this year. I know it's snobby or whatever but something about keeping it mostly within the communitty that I liked allot better. I know it's probably better for the vendors to have it completely open for anyone to come in though. Anyways, kudos to Otto, baby Doe, and all the artists, and bands that came out to give us a such a great event.

Aloha y'all!

Puamana and I just got back into Rain City a few hours ago, and we must say, WOW, what a lovely weekend. Our TC experience has been enhanced greatly, now that we can match faces to names.

The Crawl was such a great idea. To be able to meet new folks while sampling amazing tropical libations was too cool. Mahalos to all the hosts for all the effort put into the happy hours.

Also, it was an honor to be asked to DJ this year, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, even though some gremlins (or were they menehunes?) in the sound system were behaving mischievously.

As well as our amazing time with the TC ohana at Oasis, we were also fortunate enough to visit the Tiki Ti, Bahooka, and Oceanic Arts during our visit to SoCal. Oodles of mahalos to our fabulous tour guide and traveling partners for helping to make our movement about the area as smooth as silk.

We look forward to seeing some of you at the NW Crawl next month!

K

Had a great time... and damnit, I'm hosting next year so I have more chances to meet all of you. I guess I'd better get busy designing the perfect drink, or at least one that doesn't suck and isn't exactly like another one. Truthfully, the world needs more tiki drinks without rum in them. Or maybe that's just my liver talking. Let's just say I can't remember saturday.

Hats off to Otto & everybody for all that work, and especially Denny for being such a damned genius. Thanks for making us all feel like family!

D
DJLee posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 6:39 PM

Hi, trying to catch up with a ton of work here so I'll make this one short...it was a marvelous weekend, a great event and as usual, everyone there was super friendly; it was like a huge extended family. It's nice to see such ecstatic posts this year!

Thanks to all who came up and said hi during the DJ sets!

Lee

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 10, 2005 6:49 PM

Oh sure, lets all rub it in to the faces of those who couldnt go. Look, look! We had a great time and you were at home crying into your empty bottle of rum... And yes, no-on loves you either, and your parents didnt want you - you were an accident!

Okay, you got me. I am just jealous. Very jealous. Good to know everyone had a great time :)

Now where's that bottle of rum...

D

Highlight #1: watching King Kukulele give my son a private performance of his all time favorite song Istanbul (Not Constantinople).

Highlight No. 2: TikiMatt's Monkeypiss...divine!

Highlight No. 3: Watching Mogambo's pre screening of The Armchair Traveler, that is when he finally got it up and running :wink: I can't wait to see the whole thing! I have to say my heart skipped an extra beat when I saw Benzart on the screen! Yaaay Ben!

Highlight No. 4: Seeing Floratina in that bathing suit! Ouch! You go girrrrl! :D

Highlight No. 5: Getting to put more faces with the Tiki Central crew. Hanford, Mrs. B, Dogbytes, Seamus, MachTiki, Hula Hula, Sperm Whale, Bosko, Beachin and many more. I still missed meeting a few of you. Bummer for me!

Highlight No. 6: Thank GOD for ShipwreckJoey! You saved my life with that ICE COLD Tecate! Yummmm!

Highlight No. 7: The room crawls, the room parties. Just getting to spend a wonderful weekend with some of the best people on the planet! MAHALO!

Many thanks to everyone who made it happen!

More Highlights as I remember them....

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-10 20:46 ]

I

From the rest of my Cult brothers and sisters. It was a blast. Thanks for the hospitality and the fun. Thanks for the stellar music and the great stuff to stare at. :D

Next year....I hope to lose less of my hearing....just a hope mind you. :)

[ Edited by: irkyTiki on 2005-05-10 19:34 ]

Aye Yi Yi Yi Yi...I've been to two rodeos and a county fair and this here Tiki Oasis 5 was the most fun I've ever had! Thanks to Otto, Ape, Fisherman, Project Pimento, Makai Gents, the beautiful and talented burlesque artists (I'm sorry we couldn't run away together Kitten), the Room Hosters (you know who you are), Sven, Tiki Farm and all da TC ohana (old & new) and ...oh yeah, King Kukulele. We were so thrashed we wound up staying another day, and then to put the icing on the cake, blew a motor on the way home. HEY...no Tikis we're damaged. Aloha

O

We had a great time !! Can't wait to do it all over again.

Al & Shelly- As always, you were so gracious to be party central. And we loved all of the costume changes!! Arrr!! I only took one pic of Shell though. Next year I'll try to do better :wink:

We came home with lots of new music (Ape, Mai Kai Gents, Fisherman & King Kuke). A new tiki from Jungle Trader (sorry Unga, you got to be quicker)and a couple of wall hangings from Poly Pop and Seamus. All very cool!! Thanks guys.

So many great vendors, so little money!! That Munk Tiki vending machine was classic. Moki had to feed it some cash. It was as addicting as a slot maching (just ask BongoFury :wink: )

We didn't take many pictures this time. Having too much fun chatting with all our friends. But you can check them out here.
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAN2TFw4aMWzEZA&notag=1

The room crawl was too much fun. What a great way to meet everybody. It was nice meeting some new friends. Finally getting to put faces to names.

TC is truly a special group of people that we always have so much fun with. Thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, Holden, Mateo and all the other organizers whom we've missed. We know it's a lot of work.

Till the next event....

Aloha :drink:

Flava Flav!!!

Classic Unga Bunga!

You guys are so cool. This is definitely, one big family.
I only regret not going to this event, but I promise you, I will be there next year.
I probably won’t even remember it anyway.
Till next year!!

On 2005-05-10 21:50, RevBambooBen wrote:
Flava Flav!!!

UNGA BUNGA, rules! rules!
Classic Unga Bunga!

A huge thank you to everyone. Wow, what a great event! What made it even more special is that everyone contributed to make it so wonderful. This event was beyond fun. It was quite special.

Thank you to Martin, Rebecca, Sabu, Tiki Bot, and who ever else was on the phone telling me to get my ass down there.

Thank you to the very generous room party hosts and everyone who worked the event.

Thanks to HukiLau Brown for getting me a last minute volunteer shift.

A very special thank you to Otto and Baby Doe for their tremendous work on bringing this event into being. WOW! It was great. Can't wait for next year. :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco on 2005-05-11 10:19 ]

Apart from agreeing with with most of what the others have said, I'd like to say we had a really great time, much more than last year. Eventhough there were fears of over crowding I think the event went very well, so a big thank you to Otto & Babydoe. The pirate theme was a natural and tons of fun. The most important part was the opportunity for seeing old friends and meeting people I only knew as screen names, which the room crawl and parties provided. Special thanks to Al for the TV book, to Monkeyman who offered to sell my cds at his table (and for selling all the ones I gave him!), to Tikipug & Stacey for the ice, Sabu for the limes.
The bands were wonderful, as always, but in addition to Project Pimento,Fisherman,Ape,Maikai Gents (which we all know and love), The Martini Kings were amazing. Especialy with Project Pimento's drummer & CB Howlie on bongos.

favorite phrases:
"I like to share my booty" - "sorry to hear that, Al"
"double eye-patch action"
And "your room is the one with huge photo of you guys on it, right?" (Thanks Krustiki & ookoolady!)

Looking forward to next year,
Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2005-05-11 12:59 ]

I had such a wonderful time. My friend, Cheri, had the opportunity to accompany me on Thur. and Fri., she was very impressed with the camaraderie, hospitality & down-right friendliness of everyone. This year I didn't set foot in the pool, too busy crawling and socializing. The room crawl was a great way to meet and greet new friends and old. It also allowed me to meet a lot of TCers that I hadn't had the opportunity to do so before.

For those of you who stopped by for a Martini, thanks for your patience, I'm a rusty bartender! And Mrs. Pug, I'll keep working on that "Pug-Tini".

So many to list, but here's my Highs & Lows:

HIGHS!

• Arriving & seeing so many familiar faces and meeting so many new ones!!
  • All the entertainers: Ape, Fisherman, King Kuk, Gingergoldmine's fab performance, etc., etc.
  • Consulting the Mystic & Magic 8 Ball with Laney & Monkeyman.
  • Al & Shelley's hospitality, generosity & party!
  • The Pugs' Mojitos
  • Savage BaxDog & Virgin Shell's duel to the death!
  • Room crawl & most gracious room hosts.
  • Watching Monkeyman bouncing skills in action!
  • Watching Crazy Al, Judd many others play a variety of instruments, (including the ice bucket) sing, chant and rockn' out
  • Atomic Cocktail dancing to Wipe Out, his gyrating hips made Crazy Al ever CRAZIER! I didn't think Atomic could top last year's CD chase, but he did.
  • Seeing the Two Queer Tikis again! (xoxo)
  • Watching a clown and a one-horned devil playing percussion in Futura Girl's room (that's the stuff that nightmares are made of)
  • Finally meeting Handford.
  • Tasting all 5 grogs, and still being completely sober (PiPhiRho, you got my vote too, I want that recipe!)
  • The "short walk" to Ralphs with Les, Cheri and Christina (DJ Lee's gal--she's awesome) and hitching a ride with Brad (Thanks Man! My feet really thank you!)
  • Having Beach Bum Barry sign all my books!
  • Falling asleep each night to boisterous laughter and music outside, to the left, right and above my room!

LOWS!

• Being way too tired to join everyone at Dr. Z & DolphinTiki's party.
  • Weirdo party crasher who thought Vintage Girl was a lollipop.
  • Drunk girl who stumbled and fell to the floor during the grog tasting. Drunken Hat made a split decision and sacrificed 1/2 a pitcher of his wonderful grog. He had 2 choices 1) catch drunk girl and prevent her from crackin' her noggin on the pavement or 2) sacrifice grog in order to catch drunk girl. For those who sampled his grog, it was a REALLY tough decision. Damn waste of grog!
  • Not shopping nearly enough and spending way too much time cleaning my room on Sun., so vendors had already started packing up their goodies. Teaches me a valuable lesson, SHOP EARLY!
  • Sticky pavement outside my door, after grog contest, Yuk!
  • Check out at 11:00 a.m! What was up with that!
  • Leaving and not saying goodbye to nearly enough people.

Thank you, thank you, Otto, Baby Doe and everyone one else in front of the scenes and behind them that make this event possible!

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-05-07 10:31 ]

MG

Had a great time hangin' with everyone. Thanks to everyone who bought a "Tiki Oasis" serigraph and T-shirts. I hate the thought of having to wait a whole year for it to happen again.

WELCOME GINGER GOLDMINE!

I just got back home to England.
A huge thanks to everyone Anjy and I got to meet at the Oasis for making us feel so welcome, Otto and Babydoe you did a great job, thanks, and the same with everyone else who was involved.
The bands and acts were fantasic,(we gotta get some of you guys over here), as was Svens slideshow and Mogambos film preview.
Again to all the great artists and vendors who were there, great stuff.
Another thanks to all who kept us well lubricated at their rooms.
It's kind of weird being back now and having the faces to put to the posts here on TC.
Oh and as for Waffle/woofle ball whatever it's called I still don't understand, as we say in the UK "It's just not Cricket, old chap"

S

We just got home late last night. What a trip! A HUGE thanks to Otto and BabyDoe for all their hard work, and to Holden too, for organizing all the vending. And a special thanks to all who visited my booth. Your purchases, compliments and encouragement really made my first Oasis a memorable and successful outing. I regret not being able to meet more of you, visit your booths, and sample your tasty concoctions, working during the event does have its downsides, but I feel lucky and priveledged to have spent time with those that I did. It was especially nice to see the kids so involved in the festivities. Fiona had a great time, and can't wait for next year. Hat's off to King Kukelele for being so great with the kids. Jauna and I REALLY appreciated it. Mr and Mrs Pinapple became our back ups when vending, eating, loading, packing, and everything else all at once was going on. You two were lifesavers for us and we will make it up to you someday, but for now, and heartfelt THANKYOU will have to do. DawnTiki, thankyou too for the sitter that we never had to use. Fiona did not want to miss a minute of the goings on, but we may not have brought her if you hadn't made the the offer. You're a gem, and it was sooo nice to finally meet you in person. MaiTai, those Cubans made my day. After 16 hrs on my feet, and a stop off for a quick drink in 135, I was heading off to bed for some much needed sleep, but it was not to be, and I do not regret it for a second. that was one of my highlights of the weekend.
Sundays trading with friends was especially cool. Heather, Chongo, PolyPop, TikiTony, and anyone else I forgot(I'm still unpacking), it's great to finally get some of your art in our home.
I saved my biggest thanks for last- Heather, if it weren't for you, I'd still be on that endless vendors waiting list! THANKYOU so much for sharing your cabana (that neither one of us could have fit in!!!) with me. It was really a pleasure spending the weekend side by side, peddling our wares. You made it all possible for my family to make it to Oasis this year, and I just can't thank you enough!
Now it's back to the shop to get ready for the NW CRAWL next month. Hope to see many of you there. It's gonna be FUN!!

Lady Velour and I are finally catching up on sleep. Some how I missed EVERYTHING but had a blast. I only got to sample a few drinks at the room crawl. Lady Velour was going to bring back a Trader Pup Typhoon but I never got it. Somehow she enjoyed 2 of them. And I missed the grog tasting, I had no concept of time at the Tropics.
I had a great time vending my ceramics and meeting more people from TC.
The best time was in room 212 when TikiPug danced with glowsticks. It was like Tron meets Flashdance.

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2005-05-12 23:19 ]

J
jimbo posted on Fri, May 13, 2005 8:29 AM

Thanks to everyone for their friendliness and hospitality(and the hard work of all the organizers). What a blast!
Mahalo
Lori & Jimbo

Good grief! Almost a week passes and I'm just now getting to post about Oasis 5. That's mainly because as soon as i got back I was hit by some crazy flu bug and I'm still recovering (I've pretty much lost my voice at this point from the subseqent laryngitis).

Anyway, I think this was the best time Atomic Cocktail and I have had (aside from encountering the "blond nazi" also known as "Ilsa-She-Wolf of the SS") HUGE thanks to Otto for still coming through (as if he wouldn't) despite all the crap I'm sure he had to deal with concerning the change of management. And Crazy Al and and crew for the AMAZING stage. All the volunteers for their selfless service. And all the great old friends and new folks for playing nice and having a great time.

Thanks to Dr. Z for his fabulous idea of the mini-crawl. Thanks to those who came to our little tasting of "the" Atomic Cocktail. While our hosting may have paled in comparison to the lavish presentation of Pup (I truly regret missing that one.) or the mass (great tasting) quantities of Kick the Reverb, it was still very fun and gives us even more ideas for next time.

It was also great to have Sven back in our midst and enjoyed seeing him bring back a little education to Oasis.

Got into HumuHumu's Release to the Wild a little late, but still found a couple of gems nonetheless. Thanks, Michele!

And thanks to my sweetie, Atomic Cocktail, for his help in "soiling" me for Friday night's costume contest. I still need to edit my photos and will post them as soon as I do.

We didn't have to leave as early as usual on Sunday and the Baxdogs lent us the hospitality of their room after having to check out of ours. Thanks Bax and Sara! By the way, congrats to Bax for his newfound health and fitness regime. (I'm really proud of you, big guy!) I think by this time next year he might be running for Mr. Universe or something. (Or he will at least beat the pants off of any of us in a race.)

Well, here's to hoping that there's a next year!

Someone at Oasis (their first time) said they didn't know if Oasis was as much a celebration of Tiki culture or could it be more an event of Internet culture? I thought that was an interesting observation.

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2005-05-14 17:03 ]

CA

Thanks to all that helped get the stage up in two hours before Showtime!!!!

ShipsTrader Steve!!! Rules as the Pirate King with all the cool stage dressing... cannons that could have fired? F'Me!!

Bobby of the Lucky Tiki spared no expense letting me design a 'Movie-screen' Mast that stopped most in their tracks..... Lucky we had Lucky to Build, haul, and erect the massive mast'ification!

next year i might make it to a room party before 12:00am..... i hope

Pages: 1 42 replies