Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2005 goes live!

Pages: 1 41 replies

Well, here it is http://www.thehukilau.com . The site is officially live and the lineup very strong. We have really worked hard this year to make Hukilau an amazing experience. I'm so glad to announce that Charles Phoenix will present an exclusive titled "Space Age Tiki Slideshow" on Thursday this year!! The Mai Kai has given us permission to view glimpses from the past never before seen!! You'll have to wait til next year (the 50th!!) to view them all but Charles will tease you with some doozies along with classic views of the Sunshine State! Yma Sumac! Robert Drasnin!

You can now book your reservations!! Under the Reservations area you'll notice a link for New Attendees and Returning Guests. Tickets will be available for purchase by the end of next week. We encourage you to go ahead and make your hotel plans.

You'll notice that the dates for Hukilau are October 6,7,8 but as planning was underway the last month I realized that Monday the 10th was a holiday so I have added first time events for Sunday the 9th. Hukilau will host the very first Car Show in our history (details to be announced). Please follow the link on the site if you are interested in showing your classic ride! Also, we will feature a South Floria Home Bar Tour! Stops will include my home bar Okele Maluna and Chip and Andy's Lanai. This tour is limited to 40 people. Details will be annouced in July on how you can attend this very special evening. The Mai Kai will host those unable to attend for another special treat!

We still have several activities to announce for each day that you attend. As always, we welcome those who would like to spread the word. If you are interested in distributing posters and handbills this year please contact me at [email protected]

A huge Mahalo to Seth Ferreira at Troika Studios for again designing this years site - another outstanding vision & to Sabu the Coconut Boy for supplying some of the classic images for your viewing pleasure!

Tiki Farm will once again sponsor Hukilau and also produce 2 limited edition creations for this year designed by Derek himself - images will be coming soon!

Pour yourself a Mai Tai, cozy up to the computer and enjoy the sites and sounds of Hukilau 2005 - we'll see you in Ft. Lauderdale in October.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-05-09 21:19 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2005-05-27 09:23 ]

What a GREAT SITE, Tiki Kiliki!! All the little cute surprises, too! (I'm enamored of the Pop-Up King Kukulele!). Seth did a WONDERFUL job.

Great score behind it, too - nice to get a preview of Tongohiti and the rest of the bands (not to mention what a thrill to hear Yma wafting thru my laptop). And all the Mai Kai babes adorning every page (the way we all envision that it always looks there).

I'm THERE, Baby!

I can't get the hotel site to accept the code...?

PJ - I'll get on that in the morning ASAP and see what's going on!!

M

I can't wait! My 3rd Hukilau. My only complaint is no Munktiki mug...you really outta beg them to show with a Hukilau mug, Tiki farm is great and God Bless them for sponsoring a great event like this, but Munktiki would add variety and excitement for us nutcase mug collectors. Just a thought I'm going either way!

On the links photo, sure looks like a young Randy "Cousin Eddie" Quaid on the right. He was in the Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure movie.

PI

My 3rd Hukilau too (well, 2.5...last year we had to flee but not before going to the Mai Kai for one fling because burning up I-95 back home!).

K

Hmmmm... I can't bring it up! I downloaded the newest version of FLASH, and I do get the first page with the poster, launch button, etc., but when I click "launch," I just get a screen of just the rattan background with nothing else. At the bottom of my screen, it says "Done."

Anyone know what's up with that? Do I HAVE to use Internet Explorer to view (I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser).

Mahalo!

K

Man, I've tried everything. I closed my Zone Alarm firewall program -- nada. I redownloaded FLASH -- zippo. Tried using IE as my browser -- nope.

Does anyone have the URL for the site after you've launched it? Maybe if I plug it directly in, it might work?

I'm stumpified...

S

Looks awesome. Kiliki has certainly done Hukilau proud this year. It should be a great weekend. Better than ever.

It's me that's the hold up. I am rewriting the back end stuff that handles the information on payments and hotel and contact and all and I am behind schedule getting it ready. Please be patient and the ticket and other payment section should be ready in a couple of weeks. You can go ahead and log in and update your info, including TC name, and make your hotel reservation with the group code you get when you log in.

DZ

What are the special Hukilau room rates for the respective hotels, btw? I know I'm not the most computer savvy, but can't seem to track them down without making an actual reservation!

Great website Kiliki!

Just a few updates:

I'll work on the site with other browsers. That is an issue with Seth and our webmaster.

The hotel code is working now at the Bahia Mar.

aaargh!!!! Not the hated Flash Player! My computer cannot view ANY Flash stuff--it is either blocked by work security measures or a problem with my computer. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love it, otherwise I guess I am not going to Hukliau because I can't see the details! :(
The problem seems to be that I can't download the program-a major issue for not being able to use the program.
The "gold bar" never appears when I try to download, so I am stuck. Their help page didn;t help me, my "Active-X" controls , etc are or Enable or prompt.

HELP!

S

Smiley, you are runnign into maybe ht eol' WinXP sceerity thingy. Don't know if this is the case, but you'll see ye olde bar at the top that is blocking the instll. Click it and you should get a prompt about the install being okay. And it should then reload the page and THEN it will install. It takes a couple of times. Watch for ye olde WinXP bar at the top and click and hope. Eventually, it out to load the Active X thing and you will go forward.

On 2005-05-10 07:10, Kanekila wrote:
Man, I've tried everything. I closed my Zone Alarm firewall program -- nada. I redownloaded FLASH -- zippo. Tried using IE as my browser -- nope.

Does anyone have the URL for the site after you've launched it? Maybe if I plug it directly in, it might work?

I'm stumpified...

It won't work on my machine with Firefox at work either. OK with IE though.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2005-05-10 17:29 ]

T

mrsmiley -

ActiveX is a security risk so I'm not surprised if it's blocked by your firewall at work.

If your lucky it may be just the software in Windows XP that's blocking it. Try this: In Internet Explorer go to the Tools Menu, then Internet Options, click on the Security tab, click on Trusted Sites, click on Default Level once, and click on the Sites button. Type http://www.thehukilau.com in the box, click Add, and uncheck "Require server verification ..." if it is checked. Click "OK" and "OK". If you are unable to do any of this you're user permissions don't allow it, so there's not much you can do.

The web site is amazing!! I wish you could see it. :wink:

T

It's working fine with Firefox on my machine at work. Probably because I am the IT person. :wink:

Works on my machine with Firefox as well, if only I had a sound card!

G

thanks for the feedback on the website!
i apologize for the various issues everyone's having. i'm always hesitant to go crazy with the "bells and whistles" on a site when i know there's such a broad audience that'll be logging on. there's always gonna be those that get excluded by bandwidth, plug-ins, firewalls, browser issues, etc. but i wanted to give the hukilau ohana the best on-line experience possible. i was really inspired by all those old mai kai postcards and ads that sabu kept sending over i couldn't contain myself!again, sorry to those that feel excluded, i hope you'll all be able to get on eventually! let me know if there's anything i can do to help!
seth

M

On 2005-05-10 12:52, thejab wrote:
mrsmiley -

ActiveX is a security risk so I'm not surprised if it's blocked by your firewall at work.

If your lucky it may be just the software in Windows XP that's blocking it. Try this: In Internet Explorer go to the Tools Menu, then Internet Options, click on the Security tab, click on Trusted Sites, click on Default Level once, and click on the Sites button. Type http://www.thehukilau.com in the box, click Add, and uncheck "Require server verification ..." if it is checked. Click "OK" and "OK". If you are unable to do any of this you're user permissions don't allow it, so there's not much you can do.
I can check/uncheck Ative-x and I was able to do what you said. I restarted the computer and still the same. it doesn't work, nor does that gold bar I posted an example of appear. Argh!

Swanky, My tool bar doesn't change at all--I don't seee the Windows Xp bar you talk about, I just have my normal tool bar.

The web site is amazing!! I wish you could see it. :wink:

M

ZAZZZ!!!!
I went to the Macromedia FAQ page (again) to troubleshoot. Installed some Microsoft Updates (which probably didn't help) and as a lark I "uninstalled" Macromedia Flash 6. I then restarted my computer (for the fourth time today). Installed Flash and.....IT WORKS!!!!! Yay! Now I can go to Hukilau! :)

Plus a problem I was having with ordering Mazda parts (not a Flash item) WORKS again!!! Double ZAZZ!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-05-10 17:38 ]

B

Wow...the website is beautiful, but a lot of work to trudge through if you're vending. Just fyi...not really complaining, but if someone isn't computer savvy, they won't get through the obstacle course.

Kimberly,

Just got your PM - Holden Westland of Tiki Farm has just taken over as my Vendor Coordinator and will be contacting everyone shortly.

Please email me at [email protected] and cc Holden at [email protected] to let us know of your concerns - we want to hear from you!

B

Will do...sounds great! Thanks for the quick response! I'm sure you guys are completely overwhelmed about now!

V

I love the website. I really want to make it this year...

Airfare from $5O from New York--must book by end of May 11 Only!!!
http://dir.travelzoo.com/Air.asp?intCategory=11&id=189396

K

I'm going!! This will be my first ever tiki event.

Woo-HOO Juno!
More Tex-Ass kinfolk coming to Hukilau! With Kilikopela and his brand new legally married wahine Brittanie (last Saturday!!) moving to Korea for a coupla years, we'll need to repopulate the Lone Star State's ranks at tiki festivals!

(How sad that I'm not gonna meet a fellow Texas tiki lover til we both get to Florida!! But better late than never!)

Yer kissin' cuzzin,
Formica Jo Lou

What a great website!!!!!!

C

Tell me in your humble opinions, which of the hotels is Cooler or are they equally cool? Like the pool, etc. I have a reservation at the Bahia, but just wanted to check with people who have been to both!

I was totally happy in the cheaper one last year (the Cabana) and I spent a total of, oh, 6 hours? in my room, so WHO CARES where ya stay! You'll be bouncing around from party to party anyway!

K

How sad that I'm not gonna meet a fellow Texas tiki lover til we both get to Florida!! But better late than never!

Looking forward to meeting you and all the other TC folks I've only talked to through email. Can't wait!!

You can now purchase your Hukilau Weekend Pass through the website!

Just register on the site if you haven't yet done so by clicking on Reservations then New Attendees, or log in if you are a Returning Guest and have filled out the Hukilau Information Form. Once you have logged into the system you will find a link at the bottom of the page to purchase your passes!

If there's any questions you can always email Tiki Kiliki at [email protected]

On 2005-05-11 15:56, cyntiki wrote:
Tell me in your humble opinions, which of the hotels is Cooler or are they equally cool? Like the pool, etc. I have a reservation at the Bahia, but just wanted to check with people who have been to both!

Attending my first last year I have to say the Bahia is the cooler of the two. The outdoor tropical bar is killer as is the pool and hot tubs. The grounds are lush with coconut palms and other plants. The rooms are fine... no frills except for the mini fridge but as was said... you're not going to spend a whole lotta time in there!

T

On 2005-05-27 10:37, Lake Surfer wrote:

Attending my first last year I have to say the Bahia is the cooler of the two. The outdoor tropical bar is killer as is the pool and hot tubs. The grounds are lush with coconut palms and other plants. The rooms are fine... no frills except for the mini fridge but as was said... you're not going to spend a whole lotta time in there!

I'm confused. They're both named Bahia. Did you prefer the Bahia Mar or Bahia Cabana?

Jab - he's speaking of the Bahia Cabana. It's just beside the Bahia Mar, separated by the Marina. It's a loud hotel though - fun, but get ready to be up all night.

The Bahia Mar is the host hotel and where everything happens.

T

On 2005-05-27 11:52, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Jab - he's speaking of the Bahia Cabana. It's just beside the Bahia Mar, separated by the Marina. It's a loud hotel though - fun, but get ready to be up all night.

The Bahia Mar is the host hotel and where everything happens.

Thanks kiliki.

Oh, I'll be up all night! So why do I need a room at all? :wink: I just need a cheap room to shower and change my clothes.

Clothes? Who needs clothes? This year we are "Going Native"!!!

T

On 2005-05-27 13:47, Jeff Central wrote:
Clothes? Who needs clothes? This year we are "Going Native"!!!

NO! Please, no more men taking off their shirts and walking around wearing just their tidy whities!

Are we not gentlemen?

Unless the girls are going to reciprocate. :wink:

Did somebody say "Going Native!"?
http://www.paradiselakes.com/newsletter/5-16-05/plakes/5-16-05plakes.htm
Somebody is using the good Hukilau name.

On 2005-05-27 11:40, thejab wrote:

On 2005-05-27 10:37, Lake Surfer wrote:

I'm confused. They're both named Bahia. Did you prefer the Bahia Mar or Bahia Cabana?

Sorry.... I ment the Bahia Cabana... forgot they both had "Bahia" in the name!

Pages: 1 41 replies