Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIKIS at the Metropolitan Museum

Pages: 1 20 replies

A new show opens toaday at the Met in New York: Adorning the World: The Art of the Marquesas. If you're in NYC, have a look.
The little tikis carved from human bones are my favorite part; they look like tiki shot glasses.

Here is a link to an article my wife wrote about the show. It appeared in the New York Daily News, and it includes info on local tiki bars.
http://www.nydailynews.com/05-08-2005/city_life/food/story/307380p-263001c.html

PI

Very cool! I want to go, maybe I can take a little mini-vacation up there.

Hey all my NYC/NJ Tiki brethren. What is this King Yum. I'm never heard of it before. Is it cool? Should I be running to check it out? Please let me know.

-g-

King Yum is the oldest Chinese restaurant in Queens, they're supposed to have some '70s style Oriental Trading masks on the walls & other pieces of "polynesian decor," and an "Exotic drinks menu."

T

hey all!
Steve from Otto's Shrunken Head here! Having grown up in Chinatown NYC I never went out to Queens to King Yum for chinese but would be willing to host a trip out there for anyone interested in going. We were very psyched to be part of that article.
ps the girl on the right in the photo is the widow of legendary motorcycle builder Indian Larry

I definetely want to check it out some day.

-g-

ps: Steve, could you please hound your Web master about updating the show dates at your club. I hate finding out about great rockabilly shows after they happen. I'd even be willing to do it for you. I only pester because Otto's is the best.

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={F7F71B3C-A095-4DF6-A7D4-898D79B7A691}

Link to store has some cool books for sale too.

T

There was a small problem last week with our site. The damn monkeys that we hired to run it ran out of bananas and went on strike. They started flingin' poo all over the place! Took us 2 days to clean it all up but we re-negotiated with them (we promised them 4 bananas a day, up from 3) We even said we'd give them a pineapple for good performance! Hopefully everything will be timely from now on
steve

Hey my wish has been granted. Otto's events are back up. I already see two things I want to go to. Thanks so much. You rock.

-g-

ps: The Tiki Boys list the Tombstone Brawlers show as June 11th on their site. I only nitpick because I'm an editor. Sorry.

T

DOH! Thanks for the heads up
put up the wrong month's listing
I'm going to beat my copy editor with a bamboo stick now...

We're going Sunday afternoon. Anybody else?

I was eagerly searching the "Images from the collection" page for mentions of "On Loan from the Collection of Basement Kahuna" or "From the Swanky Collection," but no such luck. Just some guy named "Nelson Rockefeller" or somethin'.

(I wanna go!!!!)

T

Went to the met this weekend and saw the exhibit. It wasn't as large as the Art of the South Pacific show that was there a while back but contained many really interesting pieces. There was a painted barkcloth effigy (one of maybe three in existence), cool earrings and jewelry made of human bones, carved tiki tobacco pipes, wooden war clubs, hand fans, headdresses and tools (including a grain pounder carved with 2 tiki heads owned by Paul Gauguin

D

This gives me another reason to get my ass to the Met. I have been wanting to see the Diane Arbus show, now I can check out this other thing.

Interesting. 'Bout time Tiki got some local press. I noticed that they didn't mention Chan's Dragon Inn in the Daily News article. Guess they're trying to keep it all NYC.

Somebody here asked about King Yum. That place is very cool. I went there a few months back and posted something about it 'Locating Tiki'. Sheggidout...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11818&forum=2&vpost=125108

I went on Saturday, and it was a really nice exhibit, but super small. It's easy to miss and confuse it as part of the African exhibit if you come from the side rather than the front.

I was a big fan of the tiny bone/jewelry tiki gods. They reminded me of the Gulp shot glass from Tiki Farm and Doug Horne.

-g-

Went to the Met (NYC) and had to check out the native American,African, and Oceania exhibit. The Oceania portion is mostly Png and truly amazing. Here’s some pix-I took a ton and I encourage anyone that visits the Met to check out this permanent exhibit.

I have seen this one in many books and I tried to replicate it’s image on one of my home bars. It’s actually a very large 3 dimensional mask.

This is an upright slit drum of sorts Notice the size as compared to the visitors to its right.

Awesome! The Museum of Natural History nearby also has a pretty cool section curated by Margaret Mead. I visited this past May 2017. They have a moai that is sort of their "mascot" unofficially, and everyone goes to take their picture standing next to it. (I did too.) Didn't make it to the Met, cuz there's so much to see and do (and drink) in NYC that I'll visit the Met next time I'm there. Museums and parks are very good for "liver recovery" efforts....... :)

Ace,
Yup, too much to see here. You could spend days at the Met alone. Gonna try and squeeze in the natural history museum on the way back to California for the final two legs of our road trip across this beautiful country of ours. Mahalo for the tip.
Cheers

Yer welcome! Makes sure you swing through the gift shop and pick up some of their Moai pins, and look for a few other Moai things like fridge magnets and key chains. And while you're there, check their clearance bins and racks too - they have some good deals in there.

Already thinking about my return trip to NYC... Wow, what a great city to visit! I actually had fun getting lost on the subway system because everything led me to new discoveries and great people. I encountered lots of tourists and travelers from around the world. One couple from Zurich came from Hawai`i and had a ukulele in their luggage. Very cool!

Good to know about the Natural History museum. Going back up in December for our Otto's gig. I usually spend the day traipsing around before show time. That'll give me something to do.

Please post your impression when you get back - the collection has some VERY impressive handiwork by native islanders. It's worth seeing.

Pages: 1 20 replies