Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

tampa bay tiki time-REDUX-May 29th-(see p.2)

Pages: 1 29 replies

P

Are you ready?

Haole Kats!
Swing and sway to the sounds of one of the premier Hapa Haole bands anywhere.

The Crazed Mugs!
A new band, joining the Haole Kats!, playing originals that will astound and amaze along with terrific versions of Hawai'ian music.

Fantastic Tiki Drinks!
3 Extra Large Bowls mixed by none other than Tiki Central's own pablus.

Real Tikis!
Outdoor fun!
Good food!

Sunday, May 22nd
3pm
Clancy's Freaki Tiki Lounge
...just behind Clancy's on Cortez in Bradenton. 6.2 miles from this:

The Crazed Mugs and possibly the Haole Kats will be setting up at this lovely beach location to play during the AM - getting a bit of sun and fun in before the show, it's next to the southernmost lifeguard stand on Coquina Key. Here's the best stage ever:

Here is a map to Clancy's Freaki Tiki:

http://www.mediacentraltampa.net/clancy/mapimage.jpg

Here are a few shots of Clancy's Freaki Tiki:

The Amber Love Goddess says ALOHA whilst sipping from a Freaki Tiki cup:

Come on and join us for this Sunday frivolity. If we get enough folks - the management (who love Tiki Drinks) said they will make this a monthly event!

All I know is one of the best beaches in Florida is just a few short miles away and we're making a day of it. Maybe we can talk Kanekila into making some of his famous brats at the beachside picnic area.

See You There!!!
ALOHA!

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-05-24 07:39 ]

K

Definitely --

All you Florida ohana (and any other ohana, if you want to make the trek, or are going to be in the area) -- COME ON DOWN TO COQUINA KEY!

It's going to be a very open and non-stressed day with some music, some food, and of course, a few choice libations mixed by non other than master mixologist, Pablus.

Heck, if you're worried about it being a Sunday, then take Monday off work, in order to really relax by the beach, and then come out to the Freaki Tiki at Clancy's in Bradenton. Or, don't take off work, but at least come out for a fun Sunday afternoon of music.

We'll have lots of weeki-waaki-woo!

Kanekila

[ Edited by: Kanekila on 2005-05-10 14:05 ]

J
Jawa posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 10:17 AM

I am ready!

[sigh] I want to cry every time I see a post like this. [/sigh]

P

Weep not, FatherofFink.
We'll roll a video camera while we're there so you can vicariously be there ex post facto.

How 'bout some Orlando ohana?
Wiki Wiki

J
Jawa posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 12:41 PM

I wanted to cry when my sister deciding to get married in New York the same weekend as Hukilau :(

I am trying to get over it though, with the help of many tropical drinks... :drink:

K

Sounds like Jason's there -- cool!

Yeah, what about y'all Orlando ohana? Get out of Disney-ville for a bit, and come on over to the West Coast of the East Coast. Pablus is mixing up a few different kinds of nice libation, and of course, there are other beverage options available as well.

It's gonna be fun!

Pablus,
I've been off-line all last week building the Honolulu Lounge, so I missed this post until now. I sure would like to come over and join the festivities. I'll check with my construction supervisor to see if she'll let me take a break from splitting bamboo. Sounds like a good time.
KG

Sweet-n-Sexy Pablus!

I will check with Steve about this and see if we can make it! Saturdays out of town are always best for us... Sundays tend to get no's from him because its a "school-night". (Meaning, he has to work early the next day... etc.) But I will talk to him and see what he thinks!
Even if we dont go, lets try to get together some other time soon! We would just love to see you again :)

great big hugs!
~Lenore :D

P

I'm just glad flounder isn't coming over because I'm still pretty scared of him.

Actually I miss the guy and maikainagirl.
Maybe they hate us now.

Tikilicious - you and Steve would add so much mana to the place it might explode. So - try and make it. Kaboom.

KGeoff... you know.
This music is... sublime.

J
Jawa posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 11:54 AM

So my wife has a bridal shower thing to do on Sunday at noon. So if she can be out by 1...hopefully...then we can be done there by 2:30-3...

So is that the generally plan, to be at the Freaki Tiki by 3?

• Jason

p.s. I hate weddings, which is why Nereia and I got married in Vegas...

P

We will show up at 3pm and start setting up.

That means the Kats will do all of the heavy lifting while I mix drinks - ummmmmm..... yeah.

Anyway - we'll start strumming 4 or so and play until sunset. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and the owners are fairly good friends who are looking forward to this quite a bit.

The drink menu is Lapu Lapu, Mai Tai (with FRESH MINT) and Painkillers. I'm providing the mixers and they'll mix and sell you the rum at whatever they normally sell rum drinks for. Appletons and Blecchardi is the rum selection. That's fine by me. The Appletons anyway.

No cover charge for this event btw.

I'm thirsty already.
My hands are aching to play.

P

btw, we'll arrive at the beach between 10:30-11:00 am.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-05-17 13:09 ]

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-05-17 19:10 ]

AAAHAHHAHHH

That's it I'm coming now!!!

This is the first time I saw this post. I wish we could make it but I'm knee deep in this money pit shithole of a house I bought. We have so much to do and now hurricane season is upon us!

I swear we will come see you soon, or maybe you can come over this way and we can drink all of Kailugeoffs newly stocked bar. yeahhh

Have a good time I know you will miss me.

P

Floundy,
I will not only drive to Orlando, I will bring video and sand from the EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL that YOU named.

Don't take lightly your place in history.

Artists are always looking for the next thing while their minions are busy propigating their banked things.

Call me "George Bailey."

On 2005-05-18 16:50, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I swear we will come see you soon, or maybe you can come over this way and we can drink all of Kailugeoffs newly stocked bar. yeahhh

Flounder,
I'm laying up a stock of that Cruzan dark rum you love so well. You drink it neat, right?

Pablus,
Come visit us anytime. I'm ready to plant Ginger and re-fill the Zombie barrel.

Keep watch for construction pictures from the Honolulu Lounge on the Creating Tiki thread. I should have them up this weekend.
KG

K

Hawaiian guitars... 'ukuleles... big wooden upright basses... surf guitars... leis... tropical drinks...

Clancy's Friki Tiki bar is at 6218 Cortez Rd W in Bradenton.

P

Aloha.
Heading out now.

Time to pick some FRESH MINT from the garden.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-05-23 05:21 ]

It's 4:25 PM right now and I know you guys are tipping some excellent drinks listening to excellent music and hanging out with excellent tiki peeps and I'm at home laying a new tile floor!

You bastards!

K

It's 4:25 PM right now and I know you guys are tipping some excellent drinks listening to excellent music and hanging out with excellent tiki peeps and I'm at home laying a new tile floor!

You bastards!

:>)

Yo, Flounder man.... just got back to Safety Harbor from The Freaki Tiki. It's about 11:20pm. Whoa...

GREAT freakin' time! We MIGHT be there again next Sunday. Not sure yet. I know the owners want us back, but my wife and I have a house full of guests (literally - 5) next week, so we're just not sure.

We'll keep y'all posted, though. If we do, you'll have to make sure to make it down. It was a great time, to be sure. I'm sure some of the others will be posting pics soon!

Take care.

P

All hail Haole Kats!

The Crazed Mugs were happy to be a part of the day, from the beach-time fun to the music and beyond.

Mahalo, braddahs.

J
Jawa posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 6:14 AM

Flounder, I hear ya loud and clear!

I ended up putting up fencing along my backyard all day! Although it does feel better knowing the fence is up and people won't be stealing my reciprocating saw again, it would have been great to meet some Tampa Bay TC'ers finally!

Here's to next time! :drink:

P

Next time is this weekend.

Yes, Haole Kats! - Along with myself and perhaps Ona Koka - will be strumming and drumming and mixing up a few tropical libations at the Freaki Tiki THIS Sunday beginning at 4pm.

It was just too much fun for the owners to take it all in at once - so they re-booked.

Aloha.

P

Some shots from last week:

Amber Love Goddess and OnaKokaWahine

The Tiki is enjoying the show

I'm big and I play loud, but the Kats tolerate me anyway

We'll be there tomorrow.
I'm mixing Lapu Lapu and something else good.
Aloha.

HK

Thanks for posting those pics, Pablus...I have a few I'll put up later on in the week...I should be able to get some more today...maybe I'll get a video clip or 2 for those who can't be there...less than 2 hours before we hit the road...goodygoodygoody!

J
http://www.whollycatsband.com

Aloha,
Just want to say Marian and I had a great time in Bradenton on Sunday. We enjoyed meeting and listening to Josh, Joe and TJ of the Haole Cats, and our buddy Pablus was in rare form strumming with the band and singing his tunes, Hukilau Hurricane and My Mug Collection. The drinks were delicious and powerful and the outdoor bar was laid back and comfortable (but hot). Overall a quality tiki afternoon with Pablus, his Amber Love Goddess and the Cats. I'll post some pics later.
Mahalo.
KG
PS: Not to take away from any of the other Hawaiian music groups that have perfomed at various tiki gigs I've been to, but the Haole Cats come closest to capturing the sound and spirit of the old hapa haole classics in my humble opinion. They're CD is a must-have.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-05-31 10:26 ]

Kailuageoff, Many Mahalos for your kind words about the band and more importantly thanks for making the trip to spend your day with us at "The Freaky Tiki" You and Marian were a treat to have in the audience (great moves on the surf stuff)and a big treat talking to you about The Islands and it's music.Looking forward to seeing you both again at Hukilau but hoping we hook up way before that. "Aloha" my new friends !!!!

Bastards!

Here are few snaps from last week.

TJ taking a break from his awesome slides on the steel the guitar to play bass, and Joe laying down some percussion.

Josh and Pablus on the ukes.

The audience is delighted.

Mixing up some Chief Lapu-Lapu's. In this photo we can plainly see that tiki drinks play a vital role in keeping one's youthful good looks. The gentleman to Pablus' left is a beer drinker, while our host prefers fruity rum cocktails.

An afternoon of good Hawaiian music, Mai-Tai's and cigars leads to a spontaneous outburst of fraternal affection.
Aloha.
KG

K

Aloha Kidz!

Hey KG, it was great to meet you and Marian(sp?) and mahalo for the kind words. It was great to see you two dancing, too. Nice pics!

Hope we get to do it again really soon. I'm not sure, but we may try to do something before our trip to Chicago, but may have to work it for after we get back. We'll be sure to post something here about it either way.

Here's a pic of Josh, Joe and I getting into a surf tune of some kind, and another angle with Pablus digging it, and KG doing a little surfin' hisownself.

Mahalo again, and thanks to everyone for making it down. Also, big thank yous to Pablus again for turning us on to this gig!

Pages: 1 29 replies