Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

other things I collect

Pages: 1 12 replies

Among the other things I collect are old Marlboror ads. See I used to be a very heavy smoker and Marlboror was a lways my brand. I don't smoke anymore but still aprecciate the old ads. I just came across a couple on ebay whre they are using babies in their ads to sell cigs. How classic is that? You know that wouldn't fly today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=727230799

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=726585673

I was such a heavy smoker back in my day that one year when my B-Day came around, the first B-Day present I got was from Marlboror. they used to send me little gifts in the mail all the time.

T

I love old ads, too. The balls of the ads execs in those days were amazing. People say advertising goes too far today - it seems back then you could literally say whatever the hell you wanted and get away with it.
How can you afford NOT to smoke?!

Suicide Sam,

Though not a Marlboro ad, I do have the world's smallest guitar amp the fits, with speaker, into a Marlboro hardpack.

Come over to my hut on Kona Lane Tiki Night and check it out!

speaking of things that wouldn't fly today, I wasn't sure if I should post this or not cause I didn't know if anyone would be offended but one of my old Marlboro ads features a rather rugged looking working class man lighting a cig, on the back of his hand their is a racist tattoo. I don't live by any racist views at all but still think it's a very cool ad to have.

[ Edited by: suicide_sam on 2002-10-24 17:38 ]

Before I was really into Tiki I used to collect old Kung Fu movies. Over the course of time my collection grew to include such classics as "Drunken Master" and "Fists of Fury". Yeah, I know they sound kinda lame but I find them just as 'cool' and unique as tiki since they're not mainstream like collecting comic books, hot wheels, or baseball cards. In my opinion, they also have a kind of kitsch factor.

Of course, now everything is coming the way of DVD. Most of these movies aren't even available in DVD and the average lifespan of a videotape is what? 15 years? Some of these tapes are about that old if not older. Man, if I had known that when I first started collecting them in the 1980's I would have just started with tiki mugs in the first place!

What do you mean lame? I'm an old fan of Kung Fu Theatre. I love all the old Shaolin and Wu-Tang stuff. I love fantasy Kung Fu too, that old stuff where people are practicaly flying through the air. It doesn't fall into exactly the same genre but I was also a big fan of Lone Wolf and Cub. I read an interview with the writer of Road To Perdition and he said he was basically just redoing Lone Wolf And Cub but setting it in Al Capone times.

I know this is starting to get way off base but I was even a fan of all the hokey ninja movies from the 80s, "Revenge Of The Ninja","9 Deaths Of The Ninja", etc, etc... Sho Kosugi is truly a god.

Sam,
Sho Kosugi is the man! I didn't know anybody else here would know who he was! Way cool, my Kung Fu brother!

thats what I get for posting those ads on here, someones started bidding against me on one of the ads and his username has the word tiki in it so I'm guessing it's it's someone from right around here. Oh well that'll teach me.

M

someones started bidding against me on one of the ads and his username has the word tiki in it so I'm guessing it's it's someone from right around here. Oh well that'll teach me.

Collecting is a cutthroat endeavor. All's fair in...uh, whatever it is all's fair in, I forget. I take no prisoners, no quarter given, none asked!

Arrrggh, a taste of steel or a keelhaul in the morn ya salty dog. The choice is yours, swob.

That's not me bidding against you, I just like pirate talk.

midnite

Aarr me matey, tis a pirates life for me!!! No scoundrel will plunder me loot form under me. Avast, me feedback is much stouter than thar limey's. I have strong suspicions that the scurvey dog will not be running off with the booty.

I said booty!

M

On 2002-10-25 13:53, suicide_sam wrote:
Aarr me matey, tis a pirates life for me!!! No scoundrel will plunder me loot form under me. Avast, me feedback is much stouter than thar limey's. I have strong suspicions that the scurvey dog will not be running off with the booty.

I said booty!

Then I says to you: Prepare to be boarded! Me pirate ship full of lonely randy sailors will have their way with yer rump- and yer booty! I said booty! Yer feedback won't save ye now! Consider yerself plundered!

Well, in all seriousness:

1. Midnite's right- 'tis all fair game.
  2. I dig this stuff too, so thanks for the heads up.
  3. I only bid on one of them as a courtesy to you.
  4. I did go kind of high, but here's a friendly tip: I won't be anywhere near a computer when this auction ends, so snipe away- I can't stop ye.

Feel the Tiki Spirit!! :)

-martin

Yeah usually I don't even bid until a couple of minutes before the auction ends, helps keep the price lower and insures teh final bid is mine. I just went ahead and bid on these early cause neither had any bids so I didn't think was any interest at all, but like you said all's fair.

[ Edited by: suicide_sam on 2002-10-25 15:49 ]

I must throw 'ye olde bones' with Suicide Sam here. I'll always try to go with basic decency. As a fine publication from Discord Records proclaimed. " You don't have to fuck people over to survive" (Or something like that).

I have to also throw my eye-patch and wooden leg into the pirate crowd here. Shiver me timbers and avast you ship-shites.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 12 replies