Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

"Country" things that they don't have in the country

Pages: 1 18 replies

Exotica59 ranted about her neighbors having "Counrty" gardens...with crap that nobdy in the country would have.

Pointing out of course that's how islanders must fel about us...what vulgarities do your neighbors have in thier Country Gardens?

Plastic Tulips? Windmills? Wheelbarrow full of pansies? Milk Can painted like a Thomas Kinkade Painting.

PI

My mother has butterfly flags in her butterfly garden...does that count?

D

My dear mother-in-law has those cut-out tire planters,TONS of lawn gnomes,plastic flora and fauna,etc.Love her anyway,although when we use their house in Door County in the winter,it's pretty creepy to enter the dark garage and see all those glassy,dead eyes staring at you in the headlights.I also have to add that a few years ago,at a pricy lawn and garden shop,this woman was standing in front of THE most godawful fountain we had ever seen.It was shaped like an old fashioned bathtube with the old time shower head,and under it,was one of those Emmett Kelly-type clown/bums,drunk as a skunk,asleep in the bath.This woman was prouder than proud about just having purchased this monstrosity-for over three hundred beans.I shiver just thinking about it.

Wait, is that the WITCO Drunk-Clown-in-the-Tub fountain?! That thing goes for 3X that on eBay!!

things city folks have in thier gardens country folks don't....hmmmm happy cows

Muslin effin' bunnies in ruffly dresses, in the requisite Dutch Blue/Dusty Rose color scheme.

Have you been to "Country Clutter?" Eccch!

http://www.countryclutter.com/menu/extras/storetour.html

J

There are some people in my neighborhood that have this bizarre "display" in their front garden directly facing the street. Leaning up against a tree they have an old rusty bicycle, a junky rust covered manual push mower and a crappy looking motel chair... is that an attempt at "Shabby Chic?" I personally think it looks like "Shabby Shit!"

The neighbour with the headboard/footboard fence, plastic naked baby dolls and parts hung about, some in bird cages atop aforementioned fence.

Manditory around these parts is that little concrete donkey pulling a cart, always decrepit and in need of being put out of it's misery. Giant butterflies on houses are also the norm.

In my back yard I have a plastic ku, a moai birdbath, a concrete cat, three giant mushrooms, a fish and another little moai that crumbled but is still there. Also, two hummingbird feeders, two bird feeders another bird bath and a bird house(presently occupied by momma, papa and two chirping babies) So maybe I shouldn't talk. I just planted 5 palm trees in the front yard, and so begins the tiki transformation OF THE WORLD!!! Or at least of my world :)

Hey, I'm with you tikiwahnie. I just planted a tropical garden in my front yard flower bed. A couple of bananas, a bird of paradise, couple of differant palms. Maybe we are starting to change the world. My gardening looks very strange compared to my neighbors, but they are good sports and are hoping that this little experiment works out well.
I've just had enough of the "country" look.

...speaking of flower beds, my neighbors just took out a twin sized swirly bed framed and planted it in the front yard. They have various wheelbarrows and trellis' that they installed 4 years ago and let the whole yard grow into weeds 4 ft high. She proudly told my she was planting flowers in her "flower bed." Hopefully she'll tear those weeds out before their annual citation from the city arrives.

Tikiwahine, oh be sure we are all making fun of ourselves here.

I got gnomes all over the house. I paint scowls and little colt .45s on them and other sinister additions...but it's all in the name of vulgar taste.

Those Donkeys are tops...you gotta fill thier cars with empties after new years, St. Paddies, Cinco d'Mayo and Burns Night.

Gigantilope, that's hillarious!

There once was a great thread full of all sorts of gnomes in interesting circumstances... here they are!

It's sort of a merge between this thread and the one about signifigant others not being into our tiki lifestyle

My friend lives in San Ysidro, near the border. Her neighbors all have a ton of tacky TJ ceramics. There's the giant rabbit dressed in a vest. The giant piggy bank, complete with round handle on top. The surfing monkey. On and on it goes. And they're all broken and crumbling. It looks like a cemetary for pottery. But what really completes the illusion for me is the "lawns" of white rock. Where is this found in nature? How is this something anyone would ever want to look out their front window at?

My aunt lives in a Del Webb community in Roseville, Ca. There's a street named Goose Meadows and EVERYONE has those plastic geese out front. But wait, there's more. They all dress the geeses for the seasons. Santa hats for Christmas, Green bonnets and skirts for St Patrick's Day, Pilgrim garb at Thanksgiving, flowered frocks in the spring...you get it. Why?

T

I've seen that 'dressed goose' think in Detroit, too!

I pass a place up north (er, norther than I presently am) that has a toilet on the front lawn, with a sign that says JUNK MAIL and points to the bowl.

I've also seen the 'flower beds' made from real beds.

Here in downtown Toronto there are a lot of 'Bathtub Marys' too - shrines to the Virgin (fulla grace! fulla grace!) made from upturned bathtubs with a statue inside.

On 2005-05-27 14:15, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
My friend lives in San Ysidro, near the border...what really completes the illusion for me is the "lawns" of white rock. Where is this found in nature? How is this something anyone would ever want to look out their front window at?

My grandparents used to live in Escondido, and everyone in their neighborhood (near the country club) filled their yards (front and back!) with that icky white rock or lava rock. I was told that most of the residents were old folks who wanted maintenance-free yards.

In contrast, in my neighborhood (http://www.outsidelands.org/sunset.html) people paint their driveways green to simulate a front yard. :roll:

Speaking of lawn decor, while driving through Green Bay, Wisconsin and nearby towns, we couldn't help but notice that so many people had plastic deer in their front yard. They were fairly large, usually seated. It was all too common to go unnoticed.

I really enjoyed the thread on the gnomes. I want them all. I want one that's havin a baby. My sister is due soon. Make a great gift. For the front of her trailer. Oh yeah!!

8T

and this:

Pages: 1 18 replies