Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage Trader Vic's mug? Anyone recognize this one?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hey everyone,
I've tried searching but have had no luck...
Does anyone remember seeing a posting of vintage pics from a magazine article about Trader Vic's? The pics showed the mugs that were used back in the day. I'm especially interested in seeing the different Fogcutter type glasses used.
Any info would be a great help.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2005-05-11 18:47 ]

[ Edited by: tiki royale on 2005-05-12 10:39 ]

M

TR,
Just sent ya a pic, via email, from an old magazine article that featured a nice array of the original TV's mugs. The earliest stuff from Tepco. Not sure if that is what you're after, but it's all I got and I have used it for reference before.

midnite...

Thanks Midnite, that's the picture I was talking about.

Here is a pic of the mug I'm wondering about. It has no markings but looks like the old Vernon Kilns type work.
Does anyone recognize this beauty?
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2009-12-07 18:36 ]

Tiki Royale,

I've got that mug and it is a Vernon Kiln's.

The magazine article you're refering to is Life, September 4, 1944 with Cordell Hull (Sec of State) on the cover.

Hey Bong,
Thanks for the info.
Do you know, was it a Trader Vic's piece? Any idea on the age?
I'm assuming 1940's...
Aloha,

T

Actually, the Life magazine article doesn't have that mug in it (I can't believe I don't have photos of the article in the gallery- I must be slipping), so I don't know when it was used. The one used at Vic's was marked Trader Vic's and Vernon Kilns on the bottom:

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics/aat

It's different from the one you have. I also have a similar one that is not marked (and the detail doesn't even come close to the the Vernon Kilns piece)

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked/aah

Sorry to break it to you, Tiki Royale, but there were knockoffs made by other companies. But, man, you've got that killer United Airlines map and that super cool Don the Beachcomber bowl!
envy, envy :)

M

Here's the life photos:

On 2005-05-17 09:45, TikiHula wrote:

It's different from the one you have. I also have a similar one that is not marked (and the detail doesn't even come close to the the Vernon Kilns piece)

You're right Mike, the detail on my Vernon Kiln piece is very fine.

On the bottom of my piece it reads "Trader Vic's, LTD. Honolulu Hawaii By Vernon Kilns U.S.A."

You are correct Sir!

M

martiki wrote: Here's the life photos:

Here's the bowl in the middle:

The elusive PB2Y2 Gremlin. I had never seen one before, I wanted this one, but c'est la vie, mon ami. It's a cool drink, and there's much history behind the item.

If you have to ask...
midnite

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 2:07 PM

there was no doubt who was taking that home.

LOL... no kidding, I didn't even try... next one.......... if their is ever another, now that the value is known maybe the few people holding them will sell them? ....wow Congrats!

Wow! How un-Tiki, tiz tiz! :wink: Mighty odd... So this was before Vic hit upon the Menehune concept?

On 2007-04-04 20:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow! How un-Tiki, tiz tiz!

Sorry, I meant to say PRE-Tiki, of course! :)

H

Well I just missed out on this one, but if I had a chance I would have bid higher. I want one PB2Y2 Gremlin and I will pay $1500 FYI. Anyone out there?

[ Edited by: HonuBar 2007-04-05 21:56 ]

T

So Frank strikes again. Bummer. Hopefully that won't be the last one ever on ebay.

B

On 2007-04-04 13:56, midnite_tiki wrote:
martiki wrote: Here's the life photos:

Here's the bowl in the middle:

The elusive PB2Y2 Gremlin. I had never seen one before, I wanted this one, but c'est la vie, mon ami. It's a cool drink, and there's much history behind the item.

If you have to ask...
midnite

This is a fantastic and rare bowl. If I had seen it I would have taken out a new credit card to get it. I don't begrudge Frank because he has done his best to put together one of the most comprehensive collections of all things tiki. He is truly devoted to preserving tiki, and represents the most devoted tikiphiles in our ranks.

When I first read The Book of Tiki I wondered why a WWII place mat of Hitler had been included in the piece about Trader Vic,so I bought Victor Bergeron's autobiography. I discovered that he was an active supporter of the brave men fighting the war. He sent crates of liquor to unknown destinations for the servicemen, who set-up little officer's clubs. He gave preferential treatment in his restaurant to those in the military. He even made mugs, drinks and a menu to honor them by poking fun of the gremlins who plagued the airplanes overseas. When these men came home, they had a warm place in their hearts for Trader Vic, which did not hurt his business and the promotion of tiki.

Additionally, I think the gremlin tribute predated the menehune by twenty years. Oh, and correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

Another image of the rare Trader Vic's Gremlin bowl. Looks like it came in 3 sizes?

And just for fun, the "Russian Rhapsody" cartoon by Warner Brothers. My favorite cartoon (of many) capturing the American fascination with Gremlins during WWII.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhEqtC3VG8&feature=PlayList&p=D30B57CD1B076E6A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=101

From Wikipedia:
"The notion of gremlins was first conceived during World War II, when mechanical failures in aircraft were jokingly blamed on the small monsters. Gremlins entered popular culture as children's author Roald Dahl published a book called The Gremlins in 1943 based on the mischievous creatures."

Can someone post the original auction that it was sold on.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-12-05 12:20 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies