Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Point Bonita Lighthouse Birthday

Pages: 1 4 replies

For everyone in the San Francisco Bay area there is an event that might be fun. PT. Bonita Lighthouse is having it's 150th birthday. Not only does it offer AWESOME views of the City and Golden Gate, There are normal tours from 12:30pm to 3:30pm but I think that there will be historians and others folks on hand with knowledge of the lighthouse. If you come by on Sunday I'll be there in my "Offical" Coast Guard capacity and can take you up into the light and down to some of the old ruins. Just look for the guy with the pretty uniform on Sunday. ( Sorry, the people on Saturday aren't giving the "cool" tour) The walk to the light is not for the faint at heart or way out of shape, so be carefull! Here are some photos and a link to some history of the light.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=76

Thanks for the info. I love that lighthouse. Crossing that wobbly suspension bridge, with the waves crashing a good distance beneath you, is like being in a Hitchcock movie.

Whats really cool is that if you're inside the "Light" on a sunny day and stand still for more than 30 seconds the lens will catch your cloths on fire. FUN!

On 2005-05-12 10:19, aquaorama wrote:
Whats really cool is that if you're inside the "Light" on a sunny day and stand still for more than 30 seconds the lens will catch your cloths on fire. FUN!

Fortunately, aquaorama did not demonstrate this while I was there today. He did, however, take me into this little room where I got to stand under a huge Fresnel lens that is still worth more than most Bay Area homes (but not for long!)

Aquaorama told me that the Point Bonita lighthouse would be a great place for an after-hours Tiki Central gathering. He has keys to EVERYTHING and can sneak us in. 8)

It was good to see Cynful and load her full of Coast Guard propaganda! I'm sure she'll be putting her limited edition Coast Guard Safe Boater sport bottle on EBAY any day! :lol: If people are up for it I can arrange a night "picnic". 4th of July is great because you can see ALL the fireworks around the Bay.

Pages: 1 4 replies