Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

SAVE DEAMONS !!! in Glendale it is up for sale!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

B

I went last night for dinner and there was a man out side having people sign petition on saving Deamons, He was from the workers union
to save the employees that have been there for 20+ years....I told him I colud get him lots of signatures to stop this or at least
have the new owners keep it how it is.
If you never been or heard of Deamon its a resturant built in 1937 and is cool tiki/hawaiian steak house. Its a Glendale Landmark and it would be very sad to see it turned into a Sheshe resturant!!!
I have the guy emailing me files to set up so people can sign online as soon as I get it Ill post it for you all to sign..I just wanted to get the word out now!!

SAVE DEAMONS!!!!
Thanks Bambooh

[ Edited by: bambooh on 2002-10-25 12:30 ]

That's terrible news! I live very close to Deamons - please let me know what I can do to help...

T

Just to clarify things it's Damon's in Glendale and it has been up for sale for a while (at least 6 months). I sure hope whoever buys it preserves it.

That sucks! Maybe there's a way we can start an online petition. I know its been done before. We could spread the word faster and farther this way.

Yeah, get the links up and hopefully we can add a fair few sigs to the petition.

I imagine with the people and resources we have here we can put up a decent resistance to any changes.

And it should always be pointed out that Tiki Bars are not charities or monuments, so support your local at every opportunity. Suggest that family meals are eaten there, drag out your non-Tiki-loving pals for a night out in one, or just drop in for a swift Volcano Bowl yourself.

Trader Woody

B

Thank guys Im going to definatly work on gettin somthing up as soon as he emails me all the info...He had no idea about the whole Tiki culture so I explained it to him and told him that I on this fourm call Tiki Central and Ill Post this topic to get as many signatures for him as possible...If you guys have any Ideas that would be great...I
Love Deamons and don't want to see it go. It would SUCK!!!
Thanks again
Bambooh

A

What a bummer every time we hear about another great landmark that might disappear! But I'm not sure I understand what a petition does. This would be a petition to the owners? To some government body? How would this save Damon's? Force them not to sell, or get the property classified in a way that buyers won't be interested?

I know the LA Modern Committee folks try to preserve places sometimes by either finding preservation-minded buyers, or getting a place declared a historical landmark. But it's hard to think of any other remedy that maintains basic property rights for owners.

The nicest option is always something that works for the owner too, not against them. This normally means offering a purchase proposal, or at least providing your own patronage. Does anyone know why the owners want to sell? Not enough business? Maybe they're just tired of running a restaurant and want to sell?

Strange - I've only been to Damon's once, but it was super-crowded, and a happy atmosphere, and good food too!

-Randy

B

Well the pitition is for the employees to keep there jobs and to keep the atsmophear the same ..the reason its up for sale is one of the owners died in 2000 and the other owner has no one to pass it onto and is elderly also...I know that Glendale has people on there board who are On deamons side to keep the establishment the same..so all these things will hopfully steer the new
buyer to keep deamons alive...

bambooh

S

I love Damon's!

Had a great steak sandwich there for lunch last summer and a mai tai that knocked my socks off!

I would hate to see it go. Let us know what we can do support it. In the meantime, I need to get my ass over there for dinner and drinksssss!

Aloha,

Arty

T

I agree that a petition can't help much. In fact the owners who are selling may have good reasons for selling and may even want to find a buyer who will keep it the way it is.

The petition may help bring in more business though because it gets the place in the media and people want to go again who may not have been there in a while.

On my visit to L.A. last weekend we sought out 2 landmark coffee shops that we found out about in the book "Hungry?" but are now gone. One was an old Hof's Hut (now a chain) in Long Beach and had been replaced with a new building and restaurant that wasn't yet open. The other was Barron's in Burbank and had been gutted by fire. Here's a site with a pic of their great sign:

http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Print-X!PlaceDetail-7156,00.html

It seems like there isn't enough time to visit all the places I want to before they close.

[edited by Hanford to fix the URL]

____
  _ _
   /
  / 
 /    
  _

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-10-25 14:55 ]

T

Trip out! I literally work 4 doors down from Barron's! We've been waiting for them to reopen since last year... Now my company will be moving to Toluca Lake - about 4 doors down from that original Bob's Big Boy!

What a bummer every time we hear about another great landmark that might disappear! But I'm not sure I understand what a petition does. This would be a petition to the owners? To some government body? How would this save Damon's? Force them not to sell, or get the property classified in a way that buyers won't be interested?

I know the LA Modern Committee folks try to preserve places sometimes by either finding preservation-minded buyers, or getting a place declared a historical landmark. But it's hard to think of any other remedy that maintains basic property rights for owners.

Randy, you have a good point. Plus, we all know what happened to the Kahiki even though it was on the National Register of Historic Places. Would hate to see another landmark go.

T

Tangaroa wrote:
"Now my company will be moving to Toluca Lake - about 4 doors down from that original Bob's Big Boy!"

Lucky you! I could see myself eating lunch there every day. Or at Papoo's Hot Dog Show across the street!

Have you been to the Smokehouse in Toluca Lake? It's great.

Click on the link "How Modern Was My Valley" at lottaliving.com for more great eating and drinking places in the valley.

M

"we all know what happened to the Kahiki even though it was on the National Register of Historic Places" :cry:

:x :evil: :x

NO JUSTICE....NO PEACE!
NO JUSTICE....NO EPACE!

That still makes me mad. I am saying we start the revolution, but not televise it. Although, we could use the Tiki Gardens cd as background music for the revolt as we fight the power. Seems that LP can rile the crowd up pretty good!

Attica Attica Attica!!!

midnite..in an ornery mood

On 2002-10-25 14:11, aquarj wrote:

I am the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee webmaster and have posted this issue on our Message Board to see if anyone is interested in keeping an eye on the property. (I have also posted a link back to this discussion.)
As it stands, one of group leaders, Chris Nichols, is doing a tour for the Glendale Historic Society tomorrow, Saturday, and I hope he will get some info on solutions to keep Damon's alive.

T

By the way - did you know the old May-Fair Motel here in Montrose (on Foothill) is being turned into a bunch of condos! It's a really cool 1940s (I think) era motel with a great retro sign out front. I read about this in the La Crescenta free paper they deliver. Does ModCom know about this?

Click on the link "How Modern Was My Valley" at lottaliving.com for more great eating and drinking places in the valley.

Hi Jab! Thanks for the plug... I wrote "How Modern Was My Valley," but unfortunately, the book sold out - so a lot of people don't get to know about the nooks and crannies of the VSan Fernando Valley.
Here's the exact link you mentioned http://www.lottaliving.com/valleytour/
I do list some restaurants and bars here...including the Tonga Hut - a real divey tiki bar. Currently I am working with a map company to produce a "Pop Culture Landmark" map of the valley, too.

I can't believe you ventured to Barrons... My husband used to work across the street from there - and I am the first person to promote patronizing cool retro hangs - but I heard some scary stories about that place. the fire doesn't surprise me. Was the sign still there at least?

Speaking of S.F.Valley history and Bob's Big Boy. Directly across the street from it, where the Falcon Theater is now, used to be was an amazing sprawling place called the China Trader. Complete theme environment - I don't know if there were tikis for sure, but I think maybe as it was nautical exotica. Has anyone wever seen pics of it? All I have are matches, no pics and vague memories.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2002-10-25 18:09 ]

On 2002-10-25 18:00, Tangaroa wrote:
By the way - did you know the old May-Fair Motel here in Montrose (on Foothill) is being turned into a bunch of condos! SNIP
Does ModCom know about this?

no... post it please!!!
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb

T

I tried to get the booklet after the tour took place and they were sold out. I sure hope it will be reprinted. Perhaps you should remove the "order booklets" link.

Yes, the sign was still up at Barron's.

Pages: 1 18 replies