Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

A few things I made - Feedback appreciated

Pages: 1 19 replies

Well, after my mom forced me to sell them here, and nothing was sold (which I don't mind, I don't like selling my work at this point anyway.) I decided i'd like to hear some feedback from the community on what you guys thought of some of these pictures of mine. Any feedback is welcome, good or bad. And I think i'll color them in the future, I just got finished watching Sin City so I was in a very heavy contrast mood =). Anyways, let me know what you guys think ok?

K
kirby posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 8:32 PM

i think there cool,keep it up. how was sin city,looks good but im ready for sum star wars..halla...kirby
http://kirbysisland.com/

J
john posted on Sun, May 15, 2005 8:53 PM

those are seriously awesome! what color scheme would you use for them? i really like the black and white. As far as selling them i know what you mean...it's tough to sell something that have put so much of yourself in.
-john

T

coconut! Aloha!!

I like the contrast and image style a lot!! As an experiment, try having some of these zeroxed onto a tone paper. As an artist tht sells work for a living..I find there is something about color its self that can inspire a person to actualy buy a piece or just want it hun in their room. Lot's of people..not all...get more excited if an image they like fits a color scheme in their house too! FUNNY..but true

You have really strong line and contast here. If you go to a print shop..even a good "Kinko's" and bring a Canson paper thaft is say "clay" colored or "Cream" or Terracota" or any pale but earthy tone and have them do a high quality zerox of your art onto this paper..you will be amazed at the way they take on a whole new look!!

Add this to a nice rustic frame and or Matte and you have a really subtle yet color enhanced version of these great ink drawings. Anyway..just an idea!

Keep drawing!! ~~ THOR

H

I love the design on the first one. Nice and detailed. Yeh, looks tops, but doesn't quite "pop" off the screen like some stuff does. Thors suggestion sounds like a good one (I think I might use it myself).

Not big on the second one, but reckon the skate/surf scene could dig it. Got that kinda funky style. Having said that, these guys don't exactly collect art, so not sure how you go selling them.

Keep producing art.

I really like the first one. It has a very nice composition. The second drawing looks more like a doodle that wasn't thought out clearly. I would use elements of it and try another composition. Good work overall.

I agree about the color. If you use waterproof ink, you could use watercolors.

Yeah, that first one is pretty awesome. The second one is trippy but could use a little more refining. You gotta run those thru photoshop and play around with the colors! Just remember not to overwrite your originals!
a collection of your art would make a great coloring book. They kinda remind me of those b/w posters that came with markers. (I colored the Star Wars more than once.)

Chongolio

Hey all,

Mahalo for the kind feedback. Thor, i'm definately gonna take you up on your suggestion - I love your work and am currently saving up for a few prints =). Any tips on where I can find some cheap matting for these things?

Chongolio, it's great to hear some thoughts of yours as well, i'm a big fan. And I thought of the same thing, a felt tiki coloring book, that'd be awesome to keep by a bar for when people have had two or three drinks.

Tikitammy, Hewey, John and Kirby - You guys keep an artist going. Thanks for the feedback.

I think i'm going to scan the first one into Photoshop and work on it. I'll post it up when i'm finished. As far as color goes i'm into the warm color schemes, cross your fingers guys, i'm hoping I can pull it off right.

Chongolio, we were thinking along the same lines I think...the first one put me in mind of a placemat that kids could color!
(Or adults after something like the SF Crawl, if play-doh sculture seems too daunting.)
But I can totally see them done up as felt posters, haha!
Nice work, KC.

I find that it is best to START posting your work here WITHOUT the intent of selling it.

At first you will get feedback much like what you have already received. "Hey bro, nice job, good composition, really neat, super cool etc etc".

Post another piece and you may get some more feedback. Keep refining your style and adding things that you like or that you know tie to this tiki community.

Eventually you will hit that sweet spot where someone else on Tiki Central WANTS one. They will contact you and ask, "hey man have you ever considered selling any of your work?" or " Hi, what would you charge for one of your pieces?".

When you create something that other people want badly enough to pay for it, they will let you know. Unfortunately, when you start off saying "Hey everybody, buy my stuff". It unfortunately doesnt work as well.

It also DOES NOT help when you ask why no one wants your stuff or that your mom made you do it. It is better to see what people like by reading other threads about popular collectibles and other artwork that they enjoy purchasing.

You need to put additional art work on this thread. Give people an idea of what your capability is and creative range.

If you are doing artwork simply because you enjoy it, then WHO CARES what the rest of us think. Do it for yourself.

On the other hand if your sole intent is to make stuff that people will buy then you need to keep researching and learning your target market. What do they like? What do they collect? Whats hot and whats not?

Lots of reading and absorbing.

Good Luck,

To be creative is always a good thing.

B

I like the detail of the first piece. Good job. If black and white it more your style, and the coloring thing sounds groovy, then what about doing a bunch of them and getting a little coloring book published. I would buy one for my kid, as she loves to color intricate designs, being a little "too old" for the babyish coloring books. A few people on TC could give you advice on how to publish. It's a process, but would be something you could look into.

Just taking everybody else's thoughts to the next level.

Keep up the good design work. I'll look to see what you do next.

Monkeyman, I totally agree bro, I originally put the work up in the 'for sale' section with the intent to sell, knowing full well they wouldn't sell, but somehow I was talked into it. Anyways, I agree somewhat that if you enjoy art it shouldn't matter what other people think, but we're human, i'd like to know if someone digs my art you know? It makes me happy knowing that someone else gets some kind of enjoyment out of it.

Anyways, you asked for another piece, when I get home later tonight, i'll toss one up.

[ Edited by: Coconut KC on 2005-05-16 14:43 ]

I also think the first one is your better piece, however, I can see that you were experimenting quite a bit with the 2nd one. I think what is nagging people about that one is the inconsistent line weights, but it's really the only way you will learn, so keep at it.

Raffertiki, thanks for the feedback, of course i'll keep going, practice practice practice as they say.

Here's another picture I did while bored in class.

Coconut KC, you've got the right idea - keep on doing what you're doing. I also think it would be cool to scan those into a graphics program and play around with them a bit. I love that last tiki - it's one of my favorites in the hotel section of the BOT.

Keep on working and posting here in the creating forum for sure!

A-A

B

Good progression...I like where you're going with this. Add a little more detail...maybe tell a story with your pic. I don't know. You have a nice style with the heavy lines. I like that.

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 17, 2005 8:08 AM

Looks like you got a good sense of styling and good skills too. That last one really got my attention, I love the setup of it. Detail it all as much as the tiki and it be very nice.

Mate, practice is the best thing. Don't be afraid to experiment with styles and different mediums. Sometimes you will screw up and the bin will get the art. Hey, shit happens. On the flip side of the coin, every now and then you will try somehting, it will click, and you will go "shit, this is cool".

Looking forward to seeing more of your art!

I like the pencil sketch. It has some nice depth to it. Maybe even get more depth with a volcano on the horizon. Maybe a large palm leaf or two in front of the big tiki. Thanks for posting.

On 2005-05-16 22:29, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Coconut KC, you've got the right idea - keep on doing what you're doing. I also think it would be cool to scan those into a graphics program and play around with them a bit. I love that last tiki - it's one of my favorites in the hotel section of the BOT.

Keep on working and posting here in the creating forum for sure!

A-A

When all else fails flip open the Book of Tiki! =)

Thank you guys for all of the great feedback, it's really got me motivated! I'm currently working on the last one in Photoshop. We'll see what develops.

T

Skill baby skill

Pages: 1 19 replies