Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

death at hala kahiki r.i.p. Rose

Pages: 1 4 replies

don't know if there is a thread about this, but i just found out that one of the original owners, Rose, passed away recently. her and her husband opened hala kahiki back in 63'. hala kahiki is still open and will remain so. her son, sonny and daughter cookie are in charge now...i took her passing personally, as rose and I became good friends over the years. she was definately one of the originals, and there from the beginning. She will be missed...R.I.P rose and thank you for giving us hala kahiki.....may it continue on for others to enjoy over the years. when you are in town for for exotica, raise your glass to her...she earned it....

Sad news of her passing... I had spoken with her a few times that my wife and I were there during bar close on Saturdays... not long conversations, but very interesting history lessons about Hala Kahiki... Rest In Peace indeed, and many mahalos for creating such a tiki paradise here in the harsh Midwest.

T

Rose, for those of you who were casual visitors to Hala Kahiki, was the older, dark-haired woman who was often working in the gift shop.

She and her husband Stanley opened Hala Kahiki in 1966 (not 1963), without ever having visited the islands.

They are together in paradise now however, and are missed by those of us who are still blessed with the priviledge of visiting their fabulous creation.

wow, horrible news, she was great, and always willing to talk in the gift shop, it was their establishment that opened my eyes to the world of tiki.........r.i.p

B

Rose was one of a kind indeed. We had been working with Hala Kahiki on Exotica and her sudden death came as a surprise to everyone. She had been admitted to the hospital for a fairly routine procedure, and never left; she passed in the middle of her recovery.

We were very sad about the loss of a friend and a legendary figure in the history of Tiki in Chicago. We were also very concerned about the future of the Hala Kahiki and their participation in Exotica. There were legalities regarding licenses and whatnot. Things have been straightened out, and we are pleased that they are looking forward to being part of Exotica this year.

Rose leaves behind quite a legacy in the Hala Kahiki which we will all hopefully be able to enjoy for many years to come. We will most certainly have a toast to Rose when we gather that the Hala Kahiki. She will be missed.

-Duke and Amy

Pages: 1 4 replies