Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New from Palama Tiki 5/16/2005

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hey Gang:

thanks to our corporate office's enforcement of the 'no internet surfing at work' policy, and being without a home computer until this weekend, i've had to quit TC cold turkey for the last couple of weeks... talk about withdrawal symptoms! this site is as addictive as carving! anyway, here's the latest... a two-foot stylized version of Tongaroa carved from Sabal Palm.

here he is lounging about at our daughter's and son-in-law's brand new home by the pool.

and here's Palama Tiki posing with Tongaroa prior to giving him away... i had taken him over to their house to shoot some photos, but he looked so at home there, i ended up leaving him with daughter and son-in-law.

thanks for looking, and it's really nice to be back!

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-16 06:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 16, 2005 6:30 AM

With pics like that it is nice to have you back! Nice tiki!

Very cool, I like the finish on him.

Palama, you've gotten real good real fast. I really like the 2-tone aspect of the different palm wood layers - came out great!

A-A

Again, nice control with the woog grain layers. With oak, the inside is darker, so its cool to see the reverse effect.

It looked larger than two feet until the pic with you posing next to it. Nice work.

B

Hey I third Aaron and Raffer, the 2 tone effect is really great. You should plan more of those. Also agree you have developed very fast into a good tiki carver. Don't stay away too long again or the heavy withdrawall symptoms could be much worse. But, if it means we get to see more excellent work like this, maybe you should take another 2 or 3 weeks away from TC..

I agree with everyone PalamaTiki...very cool
tiki...and my company imposed the "no
personal web use" edict too...that is really
tough when you have to squeeze work into
our tiki day.

Hewey, Fink, A-A, Raffer, Benz: Thanks so much for the kind words and support.. that's what keeps me carving away. The first time that i carved into sabal palm, i was very pleasantly surprised by the two-tone wood. and the inner wood is actually creamy white; it turns golden brown once i apply the polyurethane. anyone have any ideas as to how to preserve the wood while not changing the color of the wood?

Thanks again, and now that we've finally replaced the home computer that got fried last summer, i'll be hanging around TC again and getting my daily fix.

Congatiki: thanks for the props... i'll tell ya... after having free reign on the ol' company computer for the past several years, that policy really hurt. what's this world coming to....???? :)

Please feel free to take pictures of your tikis and then leave them in my yard anytime!
I really like that guy, something different but still traditional looking.

thanks, purple jade; i'm glad that you like him. so what style of tiki do you want for your yard? :wink:

right after i told my daugher/son-in-law that they could keep him, my wife says, "i can't believe you gave away a tiki", and i said, "i can't believe it either!"

very cool , that guys is on my list of ones I want to carve.
Thanks for the extra inspiration.

thanks, Rodeotiki... i was inspired by Gecko's superb Tongaroa, but obviously came nowhere near the craftmanship that Geck possesses. but he was fun to carve, and i guess that's what it's all about... that and the hokey pokey.

T

wOW Stuff is looking great. Yeah i have been inspired by a few people here!

Mahalo Thanatos... there's inspiration everywhere you look on this site. i'm digging your flaming tikis too! as a matter of fact, i was working on a new one this evening that i'm about ready to set on fire!

B

Just a Bump to say we're Missing you Palama. C'mon back and carve a tiki.

Pages: 1 15 replies