Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

First time carver. Looking for logs in Southern California

Pages: 1 9 replies

I wanna make an attempt at some tiki totems. I know around here the city has been cutting down palms but I always get there too late. I was wondering if any one in the Orange county area knew of a place to get some nice logs/palms to cut up and try for my first attempt? If no freebies are available where to buy?

B

Welcome to TC Venidero, hope you find everything you need for your tikitotems. I'm way on the other side of the rock but I know you should get out the phone book and look up the local tree trimmers and guys like that and visit them. I'm sure thay'll be glad to tell you where their next take-downs are and you can meet them there and pick up what you want. They usually are pretty free with the stuff so long as you stay out of their way and don't become a pest. Good luck and keep us posted. we want to see your work...

tree trimmers and sometimes landscaping firms too - especially the ones that deal with dumping and mulching. Palms muck up the machinery when mulched wet

or just drive around and listen for chainsaws....

V

hah. I can picture it now. a 7 foot tree trunk weighin down my car and stickin out my integra... I will go on a quest this weekend...

Venidero,

There's a firewood lot called "Wood Hill" in Irvine, it's right near the 5 Fwy and Sand Canyon. Take 5 south, exit Sand Canyon, go left under the fwy, then a quick right on the other side. Go all the way to the end of the road (about 1/2 block, and it's on the right. They've got some righteous logs, though you probably won't need any this size - here's a pic.

They have cherry, carob, & other good carving woods. You could probaby get a 12" x 6 ft. log of good carving material for $20 tops.

If you want a couple of small pieces of palm (about 12-16" tall) for free, let me know. Just click on my username to the upper left here, then click on "send a personal message".

Good luck!

Aaron

B

I can't help but drool big rivers when looking at a scene like that. All my "Wood Greed" kicks into gear and I immediately start trying to finagle ways to get a truckload of that wood. Never mind that I can probably never use it, I WANT IT. Do thay have a woodaholics anonymus for guys like me?? Help me out, I'm drowning over here.

That was just a teaser, Benzie. I heard you were "going big" again, but these logs would probably kill the best of us. Besides, those are all nasty eucalyptus logs pictured there. The good stuff's in the back. One can always dream, though!

what is the easier woods to carve when it comes down to it? I'll probably raid that place but I wanna make the right choices even though i'm probably gonna mangle em on my first few trys.

O

Crap,,, I grew up in Irvine in the 1970’s, 1980’s, when it was ALL orange groves. I wonder if they will take a rain check and ship to Hawaii? Truly what a find.

You may want to call a few local tree trimmers & ask them about it. They may or may not know what carves good, but you can probably get some free wood out of the deal.

The guys at the Wood Hill firewood lot will also tell you what they've got and what is good for carvers. There is also a carver there who sublets from the Firewood lot and carve a lot of grizzly bears and woodsy stuff. His name is Roy Hamari (I think), and he can tell you what is good and what's available at the lot. Real nice guy, look him up.

The only wood I've carved so far is mexican fan palm (a favorite of local tiki carvers), and ficus. Both carve well. Palm is easier maybe for your first tiki. It's kind of stringy, but easy to carve.

Pages: 1 9 replies