Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

What to do with all the monkeypod pineapple bowls you find!

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

I made this a while back and don't remember why I didn't share it sooner...

The majority of items used to make it were thrift store finds...the bowl, the aloha shirt fabric from a size small shirt, the tin candle mold (or whatever it is). The palm trees came from a store that sells cake making supplies and decorations. The Coco Joe's tiki was purchased in a lot off Ebay nearly 5 years ago. The lava rocks supporting the display came from the inside of my father-in-laws grill.

All in all I think it came out pretty good... I've got about 10 other pineapple bowls that I'm planning to do some different themes with - if I ever get some spare time. Originally I planned to make the first one using a mini bottle of Demarara rum I found at an antique store guarded by 2 mini tikis from a couple keychains but I didn't... that one's gonna be next.

Whaddaya think?

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2005-05-20 22:46 ]

That's a really nice idea. That's the kind of thing I need to learn how to do. Maybe I'll go thrifting this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

PI

That looks great!

Cool! What a great idea!

All the pineapple bowls I see are monkeypod. I keep my eyes peeled for anything Koa, they must be the expensive fancy ones no one wants to give away up here.

-Tw

Needs a light!

Oops my mistake - you're right Tikiwahine the bowl is monkeypod... I don't even know if I have a koa pineapple. :)

Purple Jade you're thinking along the same lines I am! Not only does it need a light, which will definitely be included in future assemblage "pineapple boxes", but I've had this wacky idea involving one of the carved monkeypod palm leaves with the seperated sections... I haven't quite pieced the idea together in its entirety but just imagine the leaf mounted to the wall and each seperate chamber acting as a mini pool for a cascading waterfall... now that would be sweet!

John,
Great minds think alike. I always wonder what I could make out of the mountain of Monkeypod dishes I see in the thrift stores. How about wind chimes?

Here are four lovely Wahines dancing around the pink tiki. All are Xmas ornaments.
Mahalo,
Al

Very cool . I see these bowls and never get them cause I had no use for one. Now I am off to get some for sure.
Thanks for the ideas.

monkeypod palm leaves! Are those dishes too? or strictly ornamental? (I have a thing for tropical foliage)

And that's a super ornament/windchime/pineapple bowl hangar thingy Al! very, very cool.

Do you remember sam's pinstriped bowl? THAT was cool!

I feel guilty about noise in my backyard, what with having a huge barking dog and all.
I found a green copper salmon skeleton wind chime, but took the bell part out so that it would be quiet.

I think maybe I'm worrying too much!

-Tw

J

Thanks for the idea Al, I'm definitely gonna do the same with one of mine... but the problem is if I make the windchime I'll only have 299 pineapple bowls left! :)

Pages: 1 9 replies