Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

DEVO tour

Pages: 1 2 3 100 replies

T

Devo is touring this summer. I was excited, until I saw the price: $60! Then Ticketbastards soaks you for an additional $13! That's for the LA show at House of Blues (Blues, yea, right).

Here are the tour dates for the wealthy punks out there:

http://www.clubdevo.com/mp/live.html

Hey Jabber,
I'm not rich, but I'm going in Anaheim!
Disney and Devo...Too cool.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-05-19 21:49 ]

I

Great news! DEVO was one of my favorite bands in college, but I never was able to see them live.

Something to look forward to in August!

Vern

I saw DEVO twice in college, it was really fun at City Gardens in Trenton, but the show they played in Philly was full of dickhead frat boys, no pit etiquette. I got bounced, because I pepper sprayed a frat boy (not in the face, but still) who stomped on my foot, and then threw a beer on me when I shoved him. They took away my pepper spray and tossed me. Sigh... I think I had some anger in my punk rock self... I've mellowed in my old age.

I was heartened to see one of the young Bamboo lads wearing a DEVO t-shirt at the Oasis. Ben and Mrs. Boo are fine parents!

I feel really old when I go to shows now. I get cranky because people talk during the music, sometimes loudly and on their phones. This really boggles my mind. Plus I'm short and can never see.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-05-19 17:43 ]

I'd Go if any others want to meet up. I was a lone DEVO fan long after all others had abandoned them to the "uncool" status.

Who among you owns "Now it can be told"? Its my favorite live album from Devo.

For album art I always was attracted to "Are We Not Men; We are Devo" That golf guy just seemed so cool.

Smooth Noodle Maps.... They should stopped before that.

I have Devo downloaded on my MP3 player! It's my motivational "gym" music!

Thanks for the 411!

DZ

Just so you know - I'm the guy who always plays "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA" on the jukebox at the Purple Orchid. Play it every time I'm there, in fact. (I swear, Dave keeps that disc in there just for me!)

Oh, and I'll be at the 8/4 show at the Anaheim HOB.

The commercial (and edit job) sucks, but I still get a kick out of hearing "Uncontrollable Urge" coming out of my t.v. every so often...

T

I've got Now It Can Be Told.
Saw the tour they recorded it during, in fact, Total Devo tour 1988.
Saw the Cleveland show, and met General Boy (aka Mark and Bob 1's dad) outside after the show.

The cover art of NICBT is lifted from the original hardback edition of a book called In The Beginning Was The End by Oscar Kiss Maerth, which is the book the Devo got a lot of their devolutionary theories from.

I have this book, it is truly insane and quite creepy. Lots of pics of cannibals, trepanning, and various mutated people.

Nice choice of juke music, Dr.Z. That's maybe their best song ever. Top 10 for sure.

How did I fail to notice the paralel between the cover of Freedom of Choice, and Ahu Nau Nau on Rapa Nui?
Well spotted there, my friend.

Devo tix for Chicago are $65 plus ticket master fees. No thanks...

I've loved DEVO since I was in sixth grade and I still can't stop playing them!!! I really wish I was going to see them in August, but I can't get myself to pay $60.00 plus a $13.00 ticketmaster fee. So, sadly unless Tickets for DEVO fall out of the sky and into my hands I'm not going. $73 for a House of Blues show is "The Truth About De-Evolution"
EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaOOOOOOoooWWWWWww

S

I just snuck some Devo on my daughter's iPod for her weekend field trip. No surprise. She's a fan.

I really love that when Swiffer wanted to use "Whip It" for their commercial, rather than have someone fake Devo, they actually re-recorded it for them themselves! "Swiff it good!"

T

Last night I spoke with Ed "Christ on a crutch" and he's buying tickets for us for the San Diego show on Labor Day weekend, so I have until then to dig up the money.

Related story: I remember in 1979 both me and Ed were waiting on tables at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor in La Mesa (on Jackson Drive). When we worked together mayhem would ensue, so they put him on Friday nights and me on Saturday nights to seperate us. Well, Devo came to town and played on Saturday night. Ed got to go, but I had to work because I couldn't find someone to cover for me. He says to this day it was one of the best shows he's ever seen. I'm still burned up about missing it!

Sweeet!

I saw Devo back in 1988... one of my fave shows ever.

-Z

On 2005-05-19 19:17, Doctor Z wrote:
Just so you know - I'm the guy who always plays "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA" on the jukebox at the Purple Orchid.

Absolutely their finest moment!
(I've just taken off the Fall - Rowche Rumble and put on Smart Patrol) A bar that plays classic Devo? Wooaah!

They were my favourite band for a long long time, but the long slide downhill came after 'Duty now for the Future'. Occasional flashes of brilliance happened after that, but the first 2 albums and the earlier 'Hardcore Devo' albums are the gold seam. 'The Men Who Make the Music' video was what drove me into a state of spud-agitation, though. I paid something like $40 for it back when video tapes cost that much new and I was at school with no money for anything. I've no idea why they don't re-release it on DVD instead on just parts of it on compilations.

I only saw them twice, on successive nights when they came to London to do the 'Smooth Noodle Maps Tour'. The album was a lumpy spunk sandwich but live, they were Devo through and through. I managed to meet the band too.
-> Just cranking up 'Clockout'

I've got Hardcore Vol 1 on CD (Vol 2 got stolen by Sm Bstd) as well as well as 'Live - the Mongoloid years' and will mail out freebie copies to those to those who ask. I'll have to stop when it all starts getting expensive (As I live in the UK), and priority will go to those who have already posted. If anyone could send me Vol 2 I'd be grateful!

Trader Woody

When I saw them at City Gardens in Trenton, my friend Ken was DJ at Trenton State, and we went up to their dressing room to get a station ID. I was a cutie punk rock girl back then, and of course was flirting with the rock stars, and I got them each to sign a vegetable from their backstage veggie platter. My mom threw them out, and now that grilled cheese sandwiches with the virgin on them are selling on eBay, boy I wish I still had the DEVO veggies!

We used to go up and get ID's all the time, and the creepiest was Bill from The Descendents who wouldn't do the ID unless I sat on his lap while he did it. The Ramones were really nice, they signed a set of drumsticks! The Replacements asked us if we had any weed...

Whoops - this post was supposed to be an edit of the previous post saying "PM me if you want the CD's"

I must have hit the quote button instead.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2005-05-20 23:05 ]

T

On 2005-05-20 12:25, mrs. pineapple wrote:
We used to go up and get ID's all the time, and the creepiest was Bill from The Descendents who wouldn't do the ID unless I sat on his lap while he did it.

Bill from Descendants made me breakfast once, in his own house... but I didn't have to sit on his lap for it... fortunately.

Then again, I wasn't a cutie punk rock girl (anymore) at the time.

Yow!
Talk about feelin' old... I was in 6th grade and the first concert I ever went to was DEVO. It was the "New Traditionalists" tour in '81 and I got an "Energy Dome" hat.
I was really excited about my energy dome until one day a friend sat on it. Pisser.
I can't see paying $60+ to see them now but something tells me that it would still be a fun show.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I'll be at the LA House of Blues show. I have seen them 8 times, I think.

On 2005-05-19 17:42, mrs. pineapple wrote:

I was heartened to see one of the young Bamboo lads wearing a DEVO t-shirt at the Oasis. Ben and Mrs. Boo are fine parents

My kids rock! Happpy fathers day to me!!
2 DEVO tickets!! Yee haw!!!

Who's playing drums for this tour??

On 2005-06-20 07:13, RevBambooBen wrote:

I was heartened to see one of the young Bamboo lads wearing a DEVO t-shirt at the Oasis. Ben and Mrs. Boo are fine parents

Your DO kids rock, my kid gave me a kick in the ribs on Fathers Day. (Daddy got a Keig's lamp though!)

Rock on!

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-06-20 08:40 ]

Ben, I can't find a picture or mention of a drummer on this tour, can we assume it'll be David Kendrick again?

T

Josh Freese of the Vandals has been playing with them since '96, and still did at their 2004 shows, so it will probably be him.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.