Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

hand carved 12-foot tiki ku - monkey pod wood

Pages: 1 30 replies

Aloha everyone,
I just wanted to share with you the largest tiki we've carved so far. It's about 12 feet high and weighs close to a tone. This Tiki was carved from a 100 year old tree that was located at the Waikiki zoo.

Click here http://www.tikimaster.com/category/002.5.2/ for more pictures of the making...and moving it :)

Aloha,
~Tikimaster

J

Wow that is an amazing tiki! I'm glad you were able to salvage a proud old tree and turn it into a wicked new Ku! I want one!

what would shipping be on something like
that....like Ben's old stuff...big
and awesome!

Lovely work. Thanks for posting it. We get off on this stuff - like Benzart's Tropicana tikis...

http://www.samgambino.com

All I can say is ,,,,, nothing. I am lost for words....

Aloha Congatiki,
This Tiki was sold and is being shipped to Maui from Oahu...shipping is only $120 inter-island. The only way to ship it to the mainland would be via a 20-foot container which cost about $5400 to the West coast. It would only make sense, if we're able to ship 10 Tiki-like at a time and offset the shipping cost.

I will post more pics once it is set up at our customer's ranch.

Mahalo Nui Loa (thank you very much) for your feedback.
~Tikimaster

Looks like you captured King Kong!

BIG

We just got our hand on a 18-foot log, this is our next project...We might just do another Ku or carve Kanaloa.
The only problem we foresee is that our forklift won't handle the weight :(

Aloha,
~Tikimaster

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 21, 2005 8:25 PM

Good lord that is awesome!

It would make my life complete to have a back yard with a monster sized traditional carving like that one.

Does anyone know who carved the big tikis outside of the Polynesian Culture Center on Oahu??

Well, technically the Tikis outside PCC are not carved...they are made of fiber glass. His name is Tui'oni, a great master carver.
Actually, the process of producing fiber glass Tiki is way more costly than wood but at least they will last for ever.
Aloha,
~Tikimaster

Here is a pic of some of the Tiki outside PCC:

~Tikimaster

It's about 12 feet high and weighs close to a tone.

I'd need a bigger handtruck.

Nice work.

S

It's big, but no detail. Why not the full headress?

It depends on the Tiki, Tiki Ku is pretty much like this (Tiki on the right):

What other details did you have in mind?
Here is a closer look at the head dress:

Aloha,
~Tikimaster

S

This is what I think of when I think of Ku:

Hi Swanky,
This is not Ku, this one in particular is KUKA'ILIMOKU, personal God of King Kamehameha The Great. Kamehameha gave this god credit for his success in uniting the islands of Hawai'i into one Kingdom.

ORIGINAL: Bishop Museum, Hawaii

PROVENANCE: Kona

Aloha,
~Tikimaster

Amazing!!! Top quality stuff.

I cannot fathom carving something this huge. I love the comparison pictures with you in them. It just gives it so much perspective. He looks like he could very easily gobble you up.

BRAVO! You truly are the master.

On 2005-05-21 12:34, TikiMaster wrote:
Aloha Congatiki,
The only way to ship it to the mainland would be via a 20-foot container which cost about $5400 to the West coast.

Or you could strap a couple outboards to his feet & drive him here!

Aloha Congatiki,

Little update on shipping a 10-12 foot Tiki to the West Coast. It cost about $600 to your door step plus an additional $300 for making the custom crate.
I'm shipping one to San Diego so I know exactly what it takes :)

Mahalo,
~Tikimaster

Tikimaster it is a great tiki and thanks
for the homework on shipping...I was just
being a smartass....but all in all it sounds
fairly reasonable.

Aloha Kakou (Hello everyone),
Here is another Tiki Ku, this one measures 8 feet made of solid Monkey Pod (Hawaiian Wood). His new home will be in San Diego:

We now have a 18 foot log that will be cut in half for two 9-footers Tiki. It was very tempting to carve a 18 foot Tiki, but that will be for later :)

Aloha,
~Tikimaster

Aloha from the islands,
Just wanted to share our latest Tiki creation, about 9 foot, monkey pod wood (lightly stained!

Mahalo Nui Loa from the Tiki community for your support.
Tikimaster
http://www.carvingemporium.com

Wow!! Sweet carves. I'd love to see more stuff from you.

Aloha,
Just wanted to share our latest 9 foot Tiki Ku which will be standing right in front of Cheese Burger In Paradise in Waikiki (intersection of Ala Moana and Kalakaua).

More pictures will be posted once the Tiki has been set on its rock base!
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Tikimaster

B

WOW crazy stuff.
What kind of wood is that ?

Benjamin.

P

Tikimaster,

I've been admiring your work through your site for a few years now. A question. Do you know who carved the Ki'i at Pu'uhonua O Honaunau? So many large ones, beautifully done. Your work looks on par with those.

Paul

B

Totally awesome. You must have access to a fork-lift or crane. Love to upscale stuff. BUFFBAD

Aloha,
Thank you for the positive feedback! The wood used is monkey pod which has a nice natural golden tone.
Oh, yes forklift is a must! :)

And we use crane for large canoes:

A Hui Hou,
Tikimaster

S

Sick cravings and the monster is outstanding. So glad to have
you in TC. I have been looking at your tikis for some time
and they have been very influential in my own carvings.

Pages: 1 30 replies