Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix XIII on May 27th, 2005.

Pages: 1 9 replies

Its time for Tiki Taix XIII. That may sound a little unlucky but rest assured that no Tikis were disturbed in the process of bringing you this show. The curse has passed over us and this promises to be night to remember.

Friday April 29th, 2005 10PM No Cover!!

Take a trip back to Waikiki in the 60’s with the beautiful and harmonic ukulele stylings of Bob Tomei. Another great discovery from Hawaii, he lead the band “The Astaires” in the early 1960’s and currently heads up “The Ukulele Rascals”. Don’t miss the Tiki Taix debut performance of Bob Tomei, a true Hawaiian menehune!

PLUS

The delightful Deedee will tempt your eyes away from her hands but don’t fall for it. The hands will tell the story as our Hula wahine dances to the live accompaniment of Bob Tomei and the Ukulele Rascals.

ALSO

The King has invited filmmaker Paul Bacca to screen some rarities from the Echo Park Film Center. Tonight we will have a few surprises, but just to wet your whistle how about a short peek at the 1926 “Moana: A Romance of the Golden Age” by Robert Flaherty. Shot on location over two years of filming on the island of Savai'i, the narrative follows the boy Moana through his daily activities and his rites of passage into manhood in Samoa.

AND

King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis will of course treat the audience to a healthy dose of irreverent lunacy. This month as an added treat you will have the chance to see Tiki Tarmu that vibes playing fool swinging four mallets through the air. We’re even going to ask Tiki Tarmu to play a couple instrumental solos. Don’t miss it.

PLUS

Trader Vic himself once told the wildly dramatic tale of his heroic search for a real buffalo to serve to a visiting dignitary from a far away land. We don’t know if Trader Vic was aware of the fact, but his story has been recorded in its entirety. At Tiki Taix we will present Chapter 1 of this epic saga and give the audience a little insight into the storytelling talents of the one and only Trader Vic.

Tiki Taix starts at 10pm, located at 1911 Sunset Blvd. (at Park)
Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

Hey King! I'll try to make it again! Keepin' the Oasis Lovefest vibe flowin'! If you needed my help with anything, let me know!

Thanks Pagan, I'm glad you asked. Since Deedee is going to be dancing the female Hula part, we need to find a guy to dance the male Hula part, that's where you come in. I'll have all the needed props and costumes, you just show up and be warmed up by 10:30!!

D'oh! Define "warmed up!" haha! Sounds like fun King! Will do!

"Warmed Up" for a hula dancer is 20 push ups, 10 sit ups, and 250 deep knee bends. Can you do that?

push ups.......check! sit ups........no prob! knee bends...........prepare for loud pop and/or cracking sound at about number 20 and then full knee blow out! haha! no sweat!

Well Suburbanpagan,
With knees that pop and crack the way your's do, we may add you to the band as a purcussionist and have you play "Quiet Village" with us...while dancing!

See you tonight and bring your friends from work, I'm sure they'd love to see you dance.

my screeches of pain sound a lot like tropical birds, so this will work great!

J

Big Mahalo to the King for a great night at Tiki Taix. Hope you can get the Rascals to make the trek up from O.C. again soon. They are terrific. Next time we will beat the bushes to get some more folks out to the Taix.
Lori & Jimbo

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

[ Edited by: jimbo on 2005-05-28 12:12 ]

MAHALO JIMBO!
I'm glad you got to see the amazing Bob Tomei at his Tiki Taix Debut. It gives me a thrill to introduce these old time Waikiki veterans like Bill Tapia and Bob Tomei to the young generation of tikiphiles. "The Faithful" as Sven would call them. We haven't gone wrong yet and we have a couple of fun surprises coming in the summer of 2005. Mahalo for coming, see you at Tiki Taix!

Pages: 1 9 replies