Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palama's Tiki #7 Update on Pg. 2 5/24/05

Pages: 1 21 replies

well, here's the latest; i really liked Raffertiki's Woo the Protector (aka Loincloth guy) and asked Raffer if i could attempt to replicate it. he gave me the go-ahead, so i tried him out in yellow pine. obviously, i didn't come anywhere close to Raffer's work, but it was a good lesson in carving pine vs. palm. about a quarter of the way thru, i was about to throw him on the burn pile; the wood was flaking off like a laminate and i got so frustrated with him that i decided that no one would see him; it would just be a lesson in carving a different type of wood. as soon as i relaxed, he started shaping up.

i didn't attempt Raffer's signature crossed arms.. maybe another time.

here's a close-up of the grain, after staining and 2 coats of Minwax Clearshield:

anyway, thanks Raffer for the inspiration!

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-24 15:45 ]

[ Edited by: Palama Tiki on 2005-05-24 15:51 ]

B

Looks Good Palamatiki. I know that yellow pine is kantankerous to carve sometimes and a Lot harder than palm.

Thanks Benz... i've got a few more pine logs so i'll keep chipping away.

great job palama tiki...looks like the bugger is sweating under the summer sun...
gotta use that minwax stuff on my latest...
good effort as usual!

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 6:02 PM

Relax a bit and it all comes together! I love the color on him!

Good job there - I would love to have something like that in my garden! Keep dpoing more!

Palama,

He looks like a good solid tiki, especially considering the tough time he gave you. My one attempt at pine ended up at the curb. Yours is definatly a keeper. Keep it up.

Thanks, Conga, Hewey, and Raffer! i used a Minwax Special Walnut stain and a few coats of the Minwax Clearshield.

Congatiki, he was definitely sweating; it was almost 90 yesterday when i took the photo.

yeah, Hewey, i REALLY need to relax!

So Raffer, what type of wood was Woo carved from?

Thanks again gang!

I've been playing with oak lately. On both Woo, and the new guy.

Raffer, i've got some oak pieces laying around, but wasn't sure how they'd carve up. guess i might have to try some. also have some cedar that i'd like to try.

any experience with cedar anyone?

NIce looking tiki, palama

cedar smells nice...and my neighbors termites loved it! Never had a chance to carve it...bummer...it smelled so nice...

Very nice Palama. Keep up the good work!

Most excellent! You can really learn a lot trying to replicate the work of other experienced artists. Let's see some more pine!

A-A

O

Wow looks good to me, nice work and looks lik eit will fit in your yard nicely too.

OnoTiki

Thanks for all the props Polynesiac, Sam, A-A and OnoTiki! all of you guys keep me going...

hmmmm.... i thought cedar was insect-proof? well, i may give it a try anyway.

A-A, more pine on the way, but first there's another tiki i want to try out in the sabal palm. and my daughter and i have finally decided on a Moai for the AAC block, so i may be getting into that soon.

thanks again for all the comments and inspiration!

That looks really nice. Love the color and the grain. Cant wait to see more. I almost always want to throw away my carvings at some point because they don't look how I imagined them to be. But eventually they get through the akward stage to become tikis. Keep it up!

Thanks Fink! anytime that you want to throw away any of your carvings, send them to me and i'll make sure that they are, ummm.. disposed of properly.

i can't believe it, but today i got my first commission to carve a tiki, and someone's actually going to pay me to do it! i took the latest carving to the office today, and a girl at work wants one for her dad who has a tiki setup on his patio. both she and her dad are artists, so that adds additional pressure....

MUST RELAX...!

That's great news. Did she ask for something specific, or do you get to wing it?

Congrats.
Its a great feeling when you sell one.
Ask the new owner to send you a photo of the tiki in its new home.
Now you better get to work.
And share some pics with us.

Thanks Raffer: actually, she liked the one that was Woo-inspired, so i guess i owe you a commission check! would you like that in cash or rum?

Mahalo Rodeo; i was out there tonight sanding down a pine log, so i'll pass along some photos whenever i get to borrow the camera from our daughter.

T

great feeling isnt it! I am sure it will be great!!!!!

Thanatos, yes, it feels pretty good, and i'm hoping it will be the best one yet.

Pages: 1 21 replies