Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Has anyone tried Velvet Felarnum?

Pages: 1 4 replies

K

Now that Sazerac's stopped producing Felarnum, and the replacement syrups seem to be conclusively "not the same", I've noticed (an alcoholic) Felarnum being imported by a small company in my birth-state (Connecticut).

Has anyone more trained in the mixological arts (this is probably everyone on TC) tried this yet?

I'm very curious. I have a yearning for the unusual, and this oddly named ingredient mentioned in many of Beachbum's recipes has my interest piqued.

See http://www.velvetfalernum.com/

Cheers!
=Kukoae=

J
JTD posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 6:13 AM

Kukoae,
Lots of discussion on this in the past. Try a search for "velvet falernum". I'm still trying to track down a bottle here.

JTD

i'm assuming that you refer to jd taylor's. yes it tastes good mixed in the cocktails that call for felarnum. i personally have never had sazerac so i can't say if it tastes the same but from what i understand jd's pales in comparison. i think the other big difference is in the alcohol content. but don't quote me on that one.

the jd's is better than the syrups that i have tried but not by as much as one might think. when i tried it i thought perhaps the mixologist had a different brand when he told me it was the syrup i was suprised. suprised because it wasn't really any sweeter and just as spicey but in a different way.

do you live in CA? if so you can get jd's at bevmo or hi-times. i don't know where the syrup is sold.

my advise would be try both and go with the one you like best.

hope this helps

scott

Much like the word Buccaneer, (which I can't hear without also hearing "on my buccin' head"), the name falernum always puts me in mind of...

:music: He's got no falorum
Fal diddle i orum
He's got no falorum
Fal diddle i day
He's got no falorum
He's lost his ding dorum
So maids, when you're young never wed an old man. :music:

Sorry, no help whatsoever...

J
JTD posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 3:31 PM

On 2005-05-23 11:38, purple jade wrote:
Much like the word Buccaneer, (which I can't hear without also hearing "on my buccin' head"),

That's funny, I always hear "That's too much to pay for corn."

Pages: 1 4 replies