Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

First Annual Tiki Central Tent Crawl ~ Date Set In SC

Pages: 1 17 replies

WooHooWahine got the ball rolling on this from this thread and I’m just gonna take it a step farther with the great idea of Shell and Dr. Z’s Oasis room crawl idea.
We find a date where San Clemente State Beach (now) is not too booked and we /you reserve a campsite at the designated night and we have a Tiki Central Tent Crawl with each participating campsite supplying a signature drink or food plate.
Can you imagine how cool it will look with Tiki Centralites decking out their campsites with Tiki.
No one really has to organize anything. Maybe just a map and schedule.
Obviously the first step is to set a date where reservations are not high/booked.

I think it will be a blast. Tiki, Camping, Surf (small), Sand, and Alchohol!
This not to belittle Hoity Toity's traditional beach burn but only enhance it.
I think we can easily have both, for some TCers will not spend the night to camp.
Ideas and thoughts please.....

Added from lower post:
Dates available from the San Clemente website were disappearing as I watched, so I went on a limb and reserved September 25 which is a Sunday (ya I know). Nothing/notta/zero were available for Fridays and Saturdays until next summer (in the warmer months that is). So call your boss and tell him/her your gonna be a little late to work.
September 11 (Sunday) is still available, but thought some people would freak about the date.
So I took a chance and jumped in, and that’s where it stands for now.

Here's the reservation website. There is no on call list for cancellations, so if some of us check for Friday and Saturdays' availability, we just might get lucky.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-05-24 13:29 ]

That's a crazy idea. And we're just crazy enough to pull it off!! Me likey! Those sliding-scale alcohol fees and regulations are confusing, though!

Woo Hoo! Great idea Unga Bunga. Count Soccer Tiki and I in. I would love to help plan an event like this. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out :)

I am prepared to participate and have the necessary equipment (Tent, Sleeping Bags, Stove, Table, Canopy,).

For those of you who want to participate but do not have sleeping bags and tents, much of this stuff can be rented at your nearby wilderness outfitter or purchased affordably at your local walmart or target.

I would do it if the timing was right.

Ok...one quick post before I resume the nose to the grindstone position.
Great Idea! I would be way up for that. Here is another great surfing/camping spot with a killer group site:

http://www.parksman.com/sand.html

I have camped here several times, by myself and with the Uke club of S.C. The vibe is always cool and it is uncrowded. However, reservations are usually needed for weekends and they are usually booked every weekend in the summer. Maybe Doheny this year and Sand dollar next year!?

Chongolio

C

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Here's something;
San Clemente State beach has a campground (separate from the other campsites :) )that can accommodate 50 people.
I've stayed here many times at the small campsites and always enjoyed it.
Website Description: Group site on bluff (ocean view)
Tables, shaded ramadas, electricity, large fire ring and nearby water. Alcohol permitted on campground area only.
At $186 a night. That's $3.72 per person!
This might work.
San Clement SB brochure (.pdf file)

Anyone wonder why the first thing you see on the Doheny Beach website is a link to check the latest water quality analysis?

Well, that's because the water is very mess up.

Unga, San Clemente sounds like a great spot.

So how does the water compare to Doheny?

On 2005-05-24 10:44, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Anyone wonder why the first thing you see on the Doheny Beach website is a link to check the latest water quality analysis?

Well, that's because the water is very mess up.

Nothing a nice warm iodine bath and enema couldnt fix, but dont come to my tent looking for those luxuries.
Thats another plus for Sand Dollar, It's still pretty remote and the water is fairly clean...well except for all the fish, seal and otter poop.

Now back to work. (geez my boss is an A-hole!)

Chongolio

Dates available from the San Clemente website were disappearing as I watched, so I went on a limb and reserved September 25 which is a Sunday (ya I know). Nothing/notta/zero were available for Fridays and Saturdays until next summer (in the warmer months that is). So call your boss and tell him/her your gonna be a little late to work. :)
September 11 (Sunday) is still available, but thought some people would freak about the date.
So I took a chance and jumped in, and that’s where it stands for now.

Here's the reservation website. There is no on call list for cancellations, so if some of us check for Friday and Saturdays' availability, we just might get lucky.

A Tiki Cheers To You

I tried to get a reservation for Saturday - nothing available. We'd love to do this, but Sunday is just not good.

I hope everyone has a great time. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd like to start planning something now for a Saturday next year. Is September the best month for this type of event?

D

Why not book it for ITD 2006? The 2nd Sat. in August? Doheny for the last 3 years worst water in the state.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-24 17:53 ]

H

ookoo lady thats a great idea..

Boo Hoo :( I'm Sad about Doheny Beach. (As you can tell I am a landlover and don't care about going in the water) Doheny has a Great Picnic Area and the Campsites are Great. Definately a much better place to have a Camping Adventure than San Clemente. But, being a Kindergarten Teacher I know how it goes: Majority Rules. So count Soccer Tiki and I in on wherever you choose. I think it needs to be this Summer though. Summer 2006 is way too far away! Woo Hooo!

Please don't misundersdtand me WooHooWahine, all I meant to say was since Ookoo Lady was thinking about booking a date for next year, I though it might be a good idea to have next years ITD bash (International Tiki Day) at a state park. If that is something the group is interested in it may be wise to book the space soon. I know that some state campsites need to be booked a year in advance because of their popularity. Like Yosemite for instance.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-05-24 23:42 ]

On 2005-05-24 12:34, Unga Bunga wrote:
Dates available from the San Clemente website were disappearing as I watched, so I went on a limb and reserved September 25 which is a Sunday (ya I know). Nothing/notta/zero were available for Fridays and Saturdays until next summer (in the warmer months that is). So call your boss and tell him/her your gonna be a little late to work.

How about staying Monday night too? I know alot of people have to work, but alot of us have a flexable schedule too. Staying only one night means you don't even get a full day to hang out because of late check in and early check out times.

When ever and where ever.... I'm in!

Good idea Dawntiki! I know it's always a good idea to plan things way ahead :)
Woo Hoo! :)

Pages: 1 17 replies