Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Stained Glass Tiki Lamp

Pages: 1 21 replies

My aunt made this for us a few months ago. I thought TC folks might like to look at it. She is so talented. It is incredibly special when someone makes something this cool for you.

Well, that is right nifty, that is.

that is gorgeous!

a very kind & talented aunt you have!

Very nice, Any idea how long that took her?
Thanks for sharing.

Hi rodeotiki. I e-mailed her to ask how long. Will get back to you soon.

Hi. Here is what my aunt said about how long it took her to do the lamp:

"It's hard to keep track of time on something like this, especially the first one (research, drawing, revisions, etc.). With the pattern taken care of, say 2 eight-hour days."

That is a really awesome lamp!

Aaaarrrggh!!! That's a real treasure of a lamp!

She could start selling those! That is beautiful!

Your Aunt needs to become a TC member, or is she already?

T

That tiki lamp is awesome, but what's with the Battlestar Galactica Cylon head?

Hi. I have told my aunt a few times that she should make more because everyone that has come to our house so far thinks it is super cool. If she does I will let TC folks know.

The Battlestar Galactica Head is the orginal series on DVD in a Cylon head box.

I love it! Let me know if she ever puts one on eBay. I love seeing tiki created in all kinds of media. You are so lucky!

B

Definately a Cool lamp. You are fortunate to have someone to make you gems like thet. Is she gonna make more?

Hello and thanks for all the compliments on the Tiki lamp I made for my niece. Stained glass can get very stilted and sterile ("That color doesn't go with my carpet" or "I want a window just like my neighbors'"), so it's nice to have fun with it after doing it for a living since 1980. Populuxe and SciFi styles are a couple of things I've always wanted to try in glass. I did a 'Mambo Cat' design adapted from an old album cover that came out really neat. More designs are on the board, so I'll let you know when they go to auction. Thanks for the encouragement!

Really great stuff Auntiki!

F

Way to Auntie... want to adopt a nephew?

I'd like to see that "Mambo Cat", got pics?

B

Again, really nice stuff and by the way
WELCOME to TC both LaTiki-ette and Auntiki its so nice to have you aboard. Auntiki, I bet you could make some custom designed tiki things, huh?

Custom work and design is what I do. I picked up the stained glass while employed as a designer/draftsman for a studio a while back. I really enjoy different historical styles, but there's little call for them in mainstream stained glass. I've also worked with acrylic, mica, metals, ceramics...and just plain junk. Currently trying to make it on my own with the art glass after a charming six year stint in a light fixture factory (learned alot tho'). I only have a hard copy photo of the Mambo Cat, but will digitize it soon.

B

Ahah, so thats where the lamp experience comes from. Hmm, artist, lampmaker, glass breaker, looking for comissions,,hmm. Anybody want lams, stained glass tikis. I think you should just make up a bunch of tiki stuff and bring it to
"Chicago Exotica" https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=13380&forum=4&start=0
and then when you find out how well it does, make up a Bigger batch and bring it on down to Hukilau, https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13444&forum=4&128
That is If you don't mind doing a bunch of Tiki stuff. Do you have a copy of "The Book of Tiki" yet? An art book(I meant THE art book) full of and all about tiki.
Did I say Welcome to TC yet??

Well, I ordered 'The Book of Tiki' from Amazon yesterday, so my indoctrination begins. There's a style to the 50s-60s Tikiana I'm trying to capture in my original stuff without directly copying anything. It's all about lines; subtle changes in placement make such a difference. I'm pretty heavy into Anime due to the same preoccupation I have with lines. Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I'll be back with questions. I'm especially enjoying all the different Tiki items people make themselves.

Pages: 1 21 replies