Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Giant Nanaimo Tiki!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I heard rumours this existed.. I saw one on a roadside attractions website..
lo and behold after living here almost a year I FINALLY found the ever elusive NANAIMO TIKI! I found they were a PAIR!
Located just south of nanaimo.. take the exit for the bungy jumping 'zone' place.. and stay on that road (I can't remember the name sorry "mo"-something?) for about 5-10 min. they're in plain sight right on the side of the road above a rural post office box stand. whee!!
(sorry if this should be in locating tiki, but I didn't have an exact address.. and it's not really a 'place' per say...

on a slightly related note.. just north of Nanaimo at a gas station in Nanoose Bay (right on the highway) there is a GIANT garden gnome.. check him out

(notice his CRAZY glowing eye!)

hahaha!! That's GREAT!

I knew about the moai, I saw a picture of one in an article that had something to do with a murder a few months ago? I was thinking that the owner of the property might want to sell one! I've got this great spot on my front lawn...

That gnome is hillarious, he's new to me!

Wow,
Those things are huge , any idea what they are made out of?

Thanks for sharing.

D

What eerie images. The sepia toned ones have such a spotting Sasquatch feel to them or maybe more like footage from the 1970's ground breaking flim documentaries "Chariots of the Gods" or "The Legend of Boggie Creek" EERIE!

haha!
I almost crapped my pants when I saw them.. we were getting lost on a back road for fun one day and we drove by them totally by random.. they appear to be made out of cement.. perhaps over some sort of frame, it was difficult climbing up the bank to take a close look.. Glad I could share!

Awesome sighting! Love your pics. Thanks for posting.

8T

What an neat find. Thanks for sharing.
Perhaps you can find the owners next time and get some more info about them.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:28 ]

For anyone unaware, Nanaimo is just north of me (Victoria) on Vancouver Island.

WOW! - I'm definitely looking for them on my next trip through Nanaimo! Thanks for posting Velvet Ruby!
Tikiwahine - I remeber something about them in the news recently too - murder!?

haha! umm.. you'll forgive me if I don't hunt down the owner of the statues if there are rumours of murder surrounding the place.. :wink:

W

"For anyone unaware, Nanaimo is just north of me (Victoria) on Vancouver Island." -Tikiwahine-

Most importantly it is the home of the Nanaimo Bar, one of the more popular dessert offerings at Las Vegas buffets.

http://www.nanaimo.ca/visitors/index_inside.asp?id=189&parent=7&sub_collection=11

Damn, I was just there last weekend. If only this post was here last Thursday I would have gone and checked them out for sure!

[ Edited by: roadkutter on 2005-05-30 11:59 ]

Hey Andy! I didn't know you were on here! I totally forgot to mention these guys when I saw you at the bar.. duhh.. I'll draw you a map when I see you next..
Jen

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:48 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 2:14 PM

That garden gnome freaks me out. I bet every full moon it comes alive and eats people, walking down the road singing "hi ho. Hi ho. Its off to work I go..."

The tikis are cool though :)

Pages: 1 15 replies