Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Munktiki Circus Punk

Pages: 1 11 replies

J
JTD posted on Sun, May 29, 2005 5:36 AM

Not my mug of tea, but I know we've got some serious munktiki-philes here. V. limited edition out on their site this morning... http://www.munktiki.com/Newest.htm.

JTD

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is this thing?
It looks like one of those little inflatable punching bags with hair.
Enlighten me!
Mahalo,
-Tw

J
JTD posted on Mon, May 30, 2005 1:27 PM

ha ha. I agree.

Recently a lot of artists have been been coming out with limited edition "Circus Punks." Tim Biskup, Gary Baseman etc...These have caught on recently much like the "QEE" figures did in the last couple of years. Just another way for thier art to be enjoyed.

Just don't look at the Circus Punks on the site for long. You guys are on the right track, one quick glance and runaway. Is what I should of done. It's to late for me now though, I bought my first Punk and have visions of Circus Punks in my head all the time. It's alot like those dang Mugs, they take over, bassards. I'm sitting here in a sweat because I don't own a Glenn Barr Punk, it's a nightmare I tell you.
I guess it's a combination of cool prints by great artists on the crazy medium that gets me. Reminds me of Santa Cruz Boardwalk, they had a circus punk game to win stuffed animals and alot of pretty girls who wanted one:-)

Here's an interview I recently posted with the Circus Punk guys. I only have a small collection, but I am hooked.

http://lifeinabungalo.com/Interviews/circus/circus.htm

-g-

Thanks lia!
That confirmed my first suspicions. freaky clown punching bags.

Just got my Munktiki Punk today from Steve at http://www.circuspunks.com today. This guy(The Punk) is so cool! I love the way you can flip the hair and get 2 very different expressions on each side of the Punk (both sides have same print). I ordered the Punk Thursday, 3000 miles away, got free shipping and he is already here, day after memorial day:-). The Punks are works of Art, you need to see one in person to understand. Much like all of Munktiki's work. I'm building a new shelf for my Punks to blend with my mugs.

I

Oh oh, I think I could have a beginning for a new addiction. I visited the circuspunks site, and was inspired enough to purchase two of those darn things (Kozik's grenade Bunny, and Petrucci's Cheeky Cheetah) It must have been too many years of my youth where the main excitement and visual stimulation happened whenever the carnivals rolled into town.

Now, should I display these things in my tiki room? Or will someone become too tipsy with mai-tais, and be inspired to throw a ball in attempt to knock the punks over, only to miss and richochet and smash my Shag mugs to pieces.

Thanks for the link!

Vern

M

Poor Bassard:-)

M

Anyone remember the "Coleman Brothers" traveling Carnival on the East Coast in the Late 70's and 80's? Maybe they are still going and have a Punk game? I loved when they came to town.

S

Joey Ramone lives!

Pages: 1 11 replies