Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

trader vic's salt and pepper shakers

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

I was out shopping around at a antique shop and I ran in to a Tiki mug,and than onther and one more,I so excited I was on a mass Tiki hunt.my family and I had so much fun and the kids got a kick out of it as well.I ran out of money when I seen a pair of Trader Vic's salt and pepper shakers,between my 3 mugs and my Tiki Frikey bobble head and my 2 Tiki Candles I didn't buy them.should I buy them and have them sent to me or are they common?

TikiNoni

[ Edited by: tikinoni on 2005-05-31 10:44 ]

T

They are extremely common. There are always at least 2 or 3 for sale on ebay.

H

well it all depends on how much?????

I found a pepper shaker at a thrift store on my way home yesterday from Dallas. I was looking on eBay for a salt mate, but then realized that mine has a "P" on the head and some on ebay had nothing but the holes. Anyone know which one is older (with or without the letter). I'd post a pic, but I'm at work and many of you know what these guys look like. Alice caught me trying to...adopt... one of those guys back in May.

On 2007-12-27 14:55, Unkle John wrote:
I found a pepper shaker at a thrift store on my way home yesterday from Dallas. I was looking on eBay for a salt mate, but then realized that mine has a "P" on the head and some on ebay had nothing but the holes. Anyone know which one is older (with or without the letter). I'd post a pic, but I'm at work and many of you know what these guys look like. Alice caught me trying to...adopt... one of those guys back in May.

I have several sets of these guys and you pose a good question. In examining the (orangish)lettered ones I have, I found some to have a foil "Japan" sticker on the bottom, however they have plastic stoppers.

The tan and brown holed ones that I have do not have any markings or labels on the bottom and they have cork stoppers. I am inclined to believe these are older than the lettered ones? They are a little cruder in finish and lighter than the others as well

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and can you pass the salt, please)!

Hey Psycho, you have any salt & pepper shakers? :D

I think the newest ones are the brown-glazed guys with just one hole in "pepper's" head and two holes in "salt's" head. Or maybe it's the other way around?

I have three variations in these guys. There's the tan (Tepco?) ones with the S and P holes, the brown raised S and P, the brown one and two-hole guys. Are there more?

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2007-12-27 20:37 ]

The orange/brown with the raised "P" on it is what I picked up, like in this photo.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-28 06:25 ]

T

This weekend I stumbled across a salt and pepper set marked Trader Vics that I didn't recognize. After searching Ooga Mooga and Tikicentral the only thing I could find was a picture and question by TabooDan, a question I'm repeating, does anyone know anything about these shakers?

forgive my photos, also the glaze on these shakers is real thick, making it really hard to see detail.

now TabooDans shots of these unusual shakers and his menehune salt and peppers to add to this thread.

I looked at photos/postcards from various Vics to see if I could spot them on a table but shakers seem to be scarce in these shots. Also TabooDan comes from B.C. and I'm from Washington so there maybe a northwest connection.

aloha, tikicoma

Those S&Ps were made by Tepco - saw them at a local historical society meeting earlier this year:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40077&forum=17

Pages: 1 9 replies