Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage tikis sighted at mini golf course

Pages: 1 8 replies

8T

My search of TC archives brought up numerous threads which mention miniature golf but I couldn't decide which would be most like this topic so I will let it stand on its own.

A couple of years ago I was at this mini golf course and saw a tiki but it started to rain and I didn't have a camera so I figured I would just come back. However, it took me far longer than I expcted. Anyway, here is what I found when I finally did return.

These are located at Cool Crest family fun center in Independence, Missouri. There are 4 golf courses in all. They are named "Kings, Queens, Knights and Camelot"
The business began in the 1950's! I used to love going there as a kid but I don't remember any tikis being there back then.

It is a really beautiful place because of the landscaping and use of water throughout. There are several large mature trees which give shade and it is also a lovely place at night.
The tikis are located on the "Queens" course.

This guy is roughly 3 feet tall and has numerous old rusty nails hammered part way in all over the back.

These 2 are on a different hole than the first tiki. Sadly they are showing the effects of decay due to the time they have spent outdoors. Unfortunately, there is no information as to their origins or age. There were only a bunch of young teen employees on hand so no one to quiz either.
Perhaps I can get some info by emailing them and if I get any interesting info I will add it here. I tried to remove them for restoration but their security guard caught me and my accomplice.

Wow, 8-ft! That was the first place I thought of when considering where KC tikis may still exist and I never got over there to have a look! Thanks for posting those. If they ever get tired of looking at them and want to get rid of 'em I hope they've got all your contact info on hand! (Unless I get there first!) :)

Damn-it! I want a tiki putt-putt course!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-18 17:22 ]

S

Damn! I remember the hideous TV commercials in the '70s on channel 41 for "COOOOOOOOL CREST". Colonel Billy productions more than likely. Never made it there though. Thanks for sharing the pix 8ft!

I'm homesick now...QUICK, SOMEONE SEND ME SOME BRYANT'S BARBEQUE!!!!! They don't have a barbe-clue in California....

I've actually got some unopened Bryant's sauce from about five years ago (shows how often I go to my kitchen). I wonder if it's still good?

8ft, your urban area is blessed. You know, there are also tikis at Tiki Hut Mini-Putt in Overland Park.

S

On 2007-01-30 23:25, tikijackalope wrote:
I've actually got some unopened Bryant's sauce from about five years ago (shows how often I go to my kitchen). I wonder if it's still good?

8ft, your urban area is blessed. You know, there are also tikis at Tiki Hut Mini-Putt in Overland Park.

I had no idea there were so many cowtowners on TC. YEAH!!!

Jackalope, where exactly is the Tiki Hut Mini-Putt?

And...if that sauce is just taking up cupboard space, I'd be glad to help you do some house cleaning:) I'd consider it my public duty to bravely and selfishly determine its actual shelf life.

8T

Squid I told ya we'll gang up this summer WHEN you come back for a visit. AND we will all go get some Q !!! ( that's BBQ for the rest of y'all). Start making some plans and bring an extra suitcase to carry back the sauce!

Hope this made you very hungry and homesick!
Damn, I just hijacked my own thread.

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 7:58 PM

In Homer voice: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Bryant's.
I can feel my shoes slippin' on the floor already.

Now back to Mini Golf Tiki World!

Pages: 1 8 replies