Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki in Riverside, CA

Pages: 1 2 replies

7echo posted on Tue, May 31, 2005 9:18 PM

Just found this site, it is bitchen. Does anyone know about a Polynesian/Tiki restaurant that used to be located across the street from Flabob Airport in Rubidoux? The building itself was still there up until just a few years ago (now demolished). It appeared to have been a Trader Vic's kind of place by the looks of it. Wood beachcomber shack exterior, crossed palms over the entrance, a couple of tikis (if I remember right) but it was in poor conditon and vandalized. After some investigation, the only info I could gather was from a sheriff's deputy who used to patrol that area in the 60's. He said it was a tropical restaurant of some type, a steak house he thought, but could not remember the name.

Also, does anyone remember Larry's Hawaiian BBQ in Culer City? Sort of a poor man's Kelbo's to go. They had some gnarly giant egg rolls with whole cloves of garlic in them that were awesome. Not quite a tiki place, but it used to have tiki paintings on the outside and bamboo stuff.

[ Edited by: 7echo on 2005-06-20 19:42 ]

Most of the Tiki in Riverside that I know about is closer to Ontario. You can try using the Search feature, entering "Riverside" and searching the results for mention of the place you're looking for. Of course you might have found a previouosly undocumented Tiki Palace and your recolections might be all that remain of it.

7echo - That sounds really intriguing. The only Tiki restaurant/bar I know of in Riverside was the Lea Lea Room in the Mission Inn. So yours sounds like an undiscovered one. Any other info you could find out about it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts have a large outrigger canoe with fantastic detail hanging from the rafters of their warehouse. This came from Riverside as well. It may have come from an old Riverside restaurant or may not have. No one really knows. They found it at a tree nursery if I remember right. (my memory's not the greatest though).

Sabu

Pages: 1 2 replies