Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Aloha Jhoes thingamajig

Pages: 1 16 replies

Aloha

I recently saw a ceramic mult-colored 2 faced
tiki (looked a bit more african tribal) thing, about a foot tall with lotsa openings (a light or candle holder?) in it at an antiques store. The price scared me as I gently repositioned the thing back on the top shelf.

I have never seen any Aloha Jhoes stuff for sale and don't know how important this piece may be. Any help out there? Should I buy this possible rarity? ......thanks

It's rare, although it is not very Tiki in style. If you don't want it, please buy it for me, I will reimburse you. I am an Aloha Jhoe's fan and that's one of the few mugs I still would like to ad to my collection

F

I believe that piece is by Sascha Brastoff. I have a picture of one somehwhere- its like a big ugly candleholder thing..

Thanks Fatuhiva,

That seems like an accurate description, although the price sort of made my memory of the thing quite fuzzy.... or was it the drinks....or old age.............???...

How much is it? It's probably pricey because it is by some known 50s ceramic designer. Are you going to get it?
I am planning to come to Ventura sometime soon, someone wants to take me to a Chinese, but good Mai Tai serving restaurant....

F

checked on the mugs- yep, Sascha B.

Thats the reason for the high price.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-11-01 05:58 ]

Bigbro, I've heard of that place in ventura. It's downtown and it might have a polynesian show on a weekday, if we are talking about the same place. I grew up in the area but never made my way over there.

Ventura? I thought Aloha Jhoe's was in Palm Springs.

Pop, he's referring to the Chinese place in Ventura (see my prior post)...
I was just standing on the hallowed deserted desert grounds that once used to house Aloha Jhoe's yesterday...found a piece of tile that could be from it.
I wonder what is happening with that mug...I answered HIS question, didn't I?

B

Fatuhiva

That picture is the exact piece! Thanks to all who responded to my ignorance.

I think the Chinese Restaurant is The Hong Kong Inn near the corner of Thompson and California in Ventura. They may still have the Polynesian floor show that I believe is only on Saturday Nights.

Mahalo

With regards to the Polynesian floor show in Ventura, a friend of mine said it was kinda lame. He said something about it being akin to sorority girls taking Hula lessons or something like that, I don't remember. All I know is that he was not impressed. Anyone else checked it out?

Damn!
I came across one of these in an antique shop today.
It is so cool that I bit the bullet & bought the damn thing.
The most I've ever paid for a tiki item. (that really isnt tiki!)
Ouch, I dont know how people pay alot for tiki stuff on a regular basis. I usually dont & now that I have, I feel oddly guilty about it.

Aloha Joes WAS a Polynesian restaurant in downtown Palm Springs...

They also had a cool menu, bamboo cups, and a ceramic moai mug.......

back side of mug

Bongofury,

That's a sweet mug, I have one like it and yours is the only other one I've seen before.

(Catholic Girls, with their little tiny mustache, Catholic girls, I love how the go. I got one for a cousin, so send me a dozen. FZ)

M

FYI: Here are some eBay pics (I was not the buyer or seller) of other Aloha Jhoe's items:

Aloha Jhoe's Menu, sold for $412

Aloha Jhoe's Bamboo Tumblers, sold for $19

Aloha Jhoe's Moai Mug, sold for $109

I really like that Sascha B. thingamajig and would buy it if I saw one for sale. Many of his pieces have an Alaskan Indian theme that seems to creep over into tiki territory.

Another of these Sascha Brastoff thingamajigs is up for auction right now. (not my auction). It doesn't have the Aloha Jhoe's name or paint though. Only the Brastoff collectors are after it right now. Thought I'd open it up to the tiki collectors as well, (if interested):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646186083&category=18910

Sabu

Pages: 1 16 replies